1Password (family licence) is in "read only" mode and wants me to buy a license

mtnbeach
mtnbeach
Community Member
edited April 2017 in Mac

Hi there
I bought 1PW with family licence for Mac & two of us use it on multiple devices. I also bought a couple apps for iPad & iPhone for family on the Apple Store (don't recall if one or both). My 1PW6 is fine for all devices but a family member recently got a new laptop & migrated information. It was working for his devices seamlessly before also. 1PW6 on his Mac doesn't work properly now. More details below. Hope you can help!

1PW6 (v.6.6.4) opens on Mac but it shows the error message in the title "Read Only". It also shows "Mac App Store" in 'About 1PW' which is not correct (or got muddled). With this new laptop, I think he used the scan code from his phone to activate it instead of using the licence & that may have caused a problem.

I read a previous poster's similar question, downloaded 1PW 6.6.4 from your site, installed & restarted but it still shows the same problem. Even if I click on our family licence, we still get the "Read Only... purchase" prompt screen.

Any advice would be appreciated. Below Add'l info - is the version on his computer.

Thanks in advance. :)

1Password Version: 6.6.4 (664002)
Extension Version: 4.6.4
OS Version: OSX 10.12.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Another "1Password (family licence) is in "read only" mode and wants me to buy a license"

Comments

• mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member

Hi there
    I bought 1PW with family licence for Mac & two of us use it on multiple devices. I also bought a couple apps for iPad & iPhone for family on the Apple Store (don't recall if one or both). My 1PW6 is fine for all devices but a family member recently got a new laptop & migrated information. It was working for his devices seamlessly before also. 1PW6 on his Mac doesn't work properly now. More details below. Hope you can help!

1PW6 (v.6.6.4) opens on Mac but it shows the error message in the title "Read Only". It also shows "Mac App Store" in 'About 1PW' which is not correct (or got muddled). With this new laptop, I think he used the scan code from his phone to activate it instead of using the licence & that may have caused a problem.

I read a previous poster's similar question, downloaded 1PW 6.6.4 from your site, installed & restarted but it still shows the same problem. Even if I click on our family licence, we still get the "Read Only... purchase" prompt screen.

Any advice would be appreciated. Below Add'l info - is the version on his computer.

Thanks in advance. :) And Happy Easter long weekend to those who celebrate!

1Password Version: 6.6.4 (664002)
    Extension Version: 4.6.4
    OS Version: OSX 10.12.4
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: forum-search:Another "1Password (family licence) is in "read only" mode and wants me to buy a license"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mtnbeach: Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like there are a few elements being confused here. I've merged your similar posts into a single discussion so we're not trying to have the same conversation in multiple places.

It sounds like they may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but they will only have one if they're subscribed to 1Password Families (or Teams), or signed up for an individual 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way they’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, to use 1Password without an account they can sync their existing data from another device.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that if they purchased the standalone app instead of subscribing, they'll need to install it from where it was purchased. "Read Only" mode is part of the Mac App Store version of 1Password and indicates that it wasn't purchased there. If they didn't, or aren't using the correct Apple ID, the App Store won't validate the app and remove the restrictions. If they purchased directly from the AgileBits Store, they'll need to follow the instructions in the license email to install and register the app after dragging the App Store version to the Trash and restarting the Mac. Let me know what you find!

• mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member

Hi brenty & thanks for both the reply & amalgamation. (Had a weird glitch on the forum that said I couldn't post).

Sorry there is something lost in translation here. :)

To recap:
    We did a trial online 1PW 'family' membership but we cancelled that because were satisfied with how 1PW has been working on our desktops & other devices.

The 1PW family license ( which we both use) is not working on my partner's computer now. The app for desktop ( bought on the 1PW site) is showing incorrectly only on his computer as 'Apple store' - and only his computer is affected. Neither of us bought the 1PW family licence desktop version on the app store.

The only time he used any scan code was from his phone because he had trouble getting his Desktop app to work, after he migrated from an old laptop to a new one. It was working perfectly before on his old laptop.

So there seems to be a conflict that may have been caused by:
    1) Using the trial online 1PW family account; and/or
    2) Scanning that code from his phone

Does that help clarify?

I will check my app store to see which app version I bought for iPad or iPhone & revert.

Thanks in advance!

• mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member

Just checked my App Store account - and either they're not listing my previous 1PW purchase (for either phone or ipad) or I am mistaken & purchased them all on the 1PW website. It's been a while & the latter makes sense because the App Store never updates 1PW - the app does itself.

• mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member

I will try this with his laptop & report back

"If they purchased directly from the AgileBits Store, they'll need to follow the instructions in the license email to install and register the app after dragging the App Store version to the Trash and restarting the Mac. Let me know what you find!"

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mtnbeach,

I'm sorry for all the confusion! I think the fact that you had tried out a 1Password Families subscription but then cancelled that and switched back to your 1Password for Mac Family License added a bit to the confusion, but I understand exactly what's going on now and can definitely help you get things straightened out.

What's happening is that your partner downloaded the Mac App Store version of 1Password instead of the AgileBits Store version (the "Read only" message appears only in the Mac App Store version). We made the Mac App Store version free to download a couple months ago, but it will be in read-only mode unless you've paid for it through the Mac App Store, or unless you add an active 1Password.com subscription to it.

You bought your license from our AgileBits Store, and a license from our store won't work with the Mac App Store version of 1Password (the Mac App Store doesn't allow for external licensing systems). So he'll need to remove the Mac App Store version and switch back to the AgileBits Store version by following these steps:

1. On his Mac, go to the Applications folder and open the 1Password.app file.
    2. Hold down the control key and go to 1Password > Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the menu bar.
    3. Drag the 1Password.app file from Applications to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools).
    4. Download the AgileBits Store version from our download site.
    5. Open the downloaded .pkg file to start the installation and follow the steps.
    6. When you're done, find the new 1Password 6.app file in the Applications folder and double-click on it.

If you already tried applying your license file on his Mac, it may already be activated when you open it. But if it gives you a message about a trial, you can apply the license by following the steps here: If you see “Trial Expired” in 1Password

Please let us know how it goes and if you run into any trouble with that. Thanks! :)

• mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member

Hi Drew & thanks so much for your quick reply ( & to Brenty previously). Will try that & let you know. :)
    Appreciate your advice!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! Hopefully it all goes well, but we're here for you if something goes wrong. :)

• mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member

Just a followup - the family member's issue seems to be resolved now. Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks again!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mtnbeach -- great to hear! Let us know if you run into any other difficulties, and have a great rest of your week! :)

This discussion has been closed.