Can't install 1Password Extension on Firefox 52.0.2

Options

I'm having trouble installing the 1Password extension on Firefox version 52.0.2 with my new MacBook Pro. When I go to the download page (https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions/firefox?beta=false), the extension attempts to install and then I receive a pop-up error from agilebits.com that says "The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure."

I tried re-installing Firefox, restarting the computer, and also trying to install the Beta extension version, all to no avail.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @sinnarko,

The most common cause that we're aware of is if there is anti-virus software and it is disconnecting the connection from underneath Firefox. Whatever the underlying cause there is a workaround.

1. Visit https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions in a different browser (Safari, Chrome or Internet Explorer).
    2. Click the "Show all extensions" link.
    3. Click the "Install" button for Firefox.
    4. This will download an XPI file to your downloads folder or wherever this browser is set to download to.
    5. In Firefox visit the page about:addons and if needed select Extensions from the menu down the left hand side.
    6. Drag and drop the XPI file downloaded by step 3. onto this page.

You should find this allows things to work in Firefox again :smile:

• sinnarko
    sinnarko
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much for your speedy response, @littlebobbytables! That totally did the trick.

Cheers!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sweet! Happy to hear that littlebobbytables was able to help you get the 1Password extension for Firefox installed. :+1:

Have a great weekend!

• dtperk
    dtperk
    Community Member
    Options

I tried the procedure above from littlebobbytables, but I still don't have the 1P extension in Firefox. I had it up until a couple of days ago. I didn't get any error message before or after I performed the procedure above. I just no longer have the 1P "key" icon in Firefox's toolbar. When I check Firefox's Extensions page, it says 1Password 4.6.4 is installed. Any ideas what could be causing this? The only thing I have done lately is that I changed my 1Password master password. All is working fine when I open the 1Password app, I just no longer have the icon in my browser.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dtperk,

The steps here might help:

If you don't see the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar

Please let us know if you still can't get it to reappear and we'll look for another solution. Cheers! :smile:

• dtperk
    dtperk
    Community Member
    Options

That didn't work either. I did step 1 and step 2, but 1Password was not listed in Additional Tools and Features, so I couldn't do step 3 and beyond. Then I did step 1 again but instead of clicking Customize, I clicked Add-ons. The Add-on Manager shows 1Password as being installed and it shows Remove and Disable buttons.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @dtperk,

Did you try the section titled If you cannot add 1Password to the toolbar in Firefox? Based on what you've written so far it sounds like something has become corrupted in this particular Firefox profile. If a new test profile works the easiest way to try and repair the real profile would be to follow the steps on the Mozilla support page, Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings.

Hopefully this helps, please do let us know how you get along.

• dtperk
    dtperk
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the additional tips. For some mysterious reason, the 1Password icon reappeared in my Firefox browser's toolbar this afternoon. Not sure why. I rebooted my computer this afternoon, but I also rebooted it yesterday and earlier today and it didn't reappear then. So, unless it disappears again, everything appears to be OK now.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Well that was certainly weird. Hopefully that's the end of it but if the behaviour returns please do post back here @dtperk :smile:

• dcspiegel
    dcspiegel
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using Firefox 53.0 (32 bit). I just set up 1password today and I can't get the add-on to work. The 1Passowrd icon appears on the top right. When I click on it, I receive a tab labeled Problem loading page with the message:

The address wasn’t understood

Firefox doesn’t know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (onepassword4-extension) isn’t associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

You might need to install other software to open this address.

The address appearing in the address bar is: onepassword4-extension://activate/Firefox

I followed the directions above with the XPI file. After dragging and dropping, it correctly installed - but still doesn't work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dcspiegel: Indeed, you'll need to install the 1Password app on your Mac. The browser extension cannot function without this:

1Password downloads

If you're still having trouble though, do you perhaps have "security" software or other extensions which may be interfering? If something is preventing 1Password from talking to the extension, it won't work. Let me know what you find!

This discussion has been closed.