New Hard Drive / Missing Data File

I used 1password quite a bit a few years ago - not sure when my most recent update was.

Anyhow, I recently installed a new startup drive. when I started 1password, I received a screen looking for the data file.

I have no idea how to find the data file ... not sure if I even still have it.

Can anyone give me an idea of what to search for? What is the data file actually titled?

Grateful for any feedback.

Happy Easter!

w

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.11.16
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@willfriedwald: Hmm. This sounds like a bit of a "needle in a haystack" problem, and your guess as to what you did with your data may be better than mine. That said, I can give you a few places to start:

First and foremost, which version did you purchase? That might help narrow things down. It sounds like you have 1Password 3 now, but it would help to be sure.

1Password 3 was developed in 2009 and supports OS X Snow Leopard and Lion, so it isn't compatible with newer versions, and given similar issues with modern browsers it would be best to upgrade...but hopefully you can find your data first.

It also isn't clear to me if we're talking about the computer you were previously using 1Password on in the first place. Is that the case? If not, and you didn't backup all of the data from it, you may be out of luck. But if this is the same computer, 1Password's data should still be there unless you or something else deleted it. You may find it in the following locations:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password/

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/

Alternatively, were you previously syncing your 1Password data? That may offer another avenue. Let me know what you find!

• willfriedwald
    willfriedwald
    Community Member

thank you for answering on a major holiday AND a Sunday!

I am using the same computer, but I have switched hard drives numerous times.

yes, here is what I found -

~/Library/Application Support/1Password/

this contains three subfolders:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password/Extensions
    ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/Agent
    ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups

Yes, am using 1Password 3.8.22 & Mac OS 10.11.6. Will upgrade! (2008 Mac Pro)

thanks very much, especially for answering today.

W

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@willfriedwald: My pleasure. :chuffed:

If this is all you have, I'm hoping that it's sufficient. And if you've been using 1Password 3 exclusively, then we may be in good shape!

~/Library/Application Support/1Password/ is the support folder for 1Password 3, and ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups should contain backup archives of your data.

Specifically what we're looking for there is dated files called .agilekeychain_zip. They'll look something like 1Password2 2017-01-30 153311 (44 items).agilekeychain_zip.

If you got those, grab the one with the most recent date and rename it from .agilekeychain_zip to .zip, and then you should be able to double-click to extract...your AgileKeychain vault — tada! That can be read by pretty much any version of 1Password, so you should be able to open that to access your data. Let me know how it turns out. :)

• willfriedwald
    willfriedwald
    Community Member

okay, yes, the most recent one is
    1Password 2012-07-27 142126 (110 items).agilekeychain_zip
    (funny, because I know I have used it since 2012!)

okay I copied that file, reming it to
    1Password 2012-07-27 142126 (110 items).zip

I double click that and it produces a folder.

okay, now I open 1password. Here's where I'm getting stuck, I go into that new folder we just created, but the question is, exactly what I am looking for? do I tell the program to open an entire folder or a specific file or what?

Thanks!

W

• willfriedwald
    willfriedwald
    Community Member

wait! never mind! I just tried opening the original untampered
    1Password 2012-07-27 142126 (110 items).agilekeychain_zip
    and it worked fine!

it seems to be okay.

remaining questions:

a - I could swear I have used this since 2012, but now, at least, I know which data files to look for.

b - if this is working fine, and I won't know until I've used it a little longer, do you think it's necessary to do an upgrade? What upgrade options are there?

Thanks very much again!

w

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@willfriedwald: The only avenues as far as finding a newer backup would be if you have archived data somewhere else for 1Password 3, or if you'd used a newer version at some later point (it would be in a "1Password 4" folder).

Regarding upgrades, I'd definitely recommend it as a lot has changed since we developed 1Password 3. Certainly there a lot of new features and improvements in 1Password 6, but I'd say most importantly upgrading gets you access to the newest browser extensions, which work with current browsers, as that's important with regard to not only security but also ease of use. I think many people use 1Password almost exclusively in their browser.

And more specifically, the best way to upgrade would be by signing up for a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

1Password.com

And when you install 1Password 6, it can read your existing data in the vault you got from the backup. Let me know if you need any help with migration, or have any questions!

• willfriedwald
    willfriedwald
    Community Member

thanks very much...

follow-up question: what is the deal (price-wise I mean) for users of my version to upgrade? (if that's not too convoluted a question...)

thanks again!

w

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@willfriedwald: We've run a few different specials over the course of the last year, and while those have since ended, shoot us an email with your purchase information at support@1password.com after you've signed up for the free trial, post the Support ID you receive here, and we'll see what we can do to help in your case. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.