Extension will be outdated in Firefox 57 [version 4.6.9 extension is WebExtension compatible]

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@CSXJoe: Unless you disable notifications here, you'll receive them as we update the thread with more information. This isn't going to happen in the short term though, as there's a lot of work yet to be done.

• mikemccormick
    mikemccormick
    Community Member

Adding a quick note here for updates, I'd personally lean toward using Firefox but the lack of multi process always made me held off.

1Password takes priority for me, but It'll be fantastic when the two work properly with one another :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, fair enough. That's high praise! Thanks for letting us know. Your support, and patience while we work on some big changes to the browser extension, are greatly appreciated! :chuffed:

• publicarray
    publicarray
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

Hi, Just in case the devs are not aware and provided Firefox does not change this than when FF 55 is released (scheduled for 2017-08-08) Users with the current extension will see this:

more information link from screen shot

Firefox 54-56:
    Multiprocess compatibility shims are removed from Firefox, starting with the >Nightly and Developer Edition channels.

From blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/02/16/the-road-to-firefox-57-compatibility-milestones

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@publicarray: Indeed. Our priority is the stable release, since that's what we support with 1Password. But if we can ship all of the changes we need for all of this earlier, I think we'll all be happy about that too. Cheers! :)

• owlhuang
    owlhuang
    Community Member

Thank you for the great product, AgileBits. I know you guys are actively working on this. Just want to chime in and said I am the other user waiting for this. 1password extension is the only incompatible add-on in my Firefox. Looking forward to the new plugin.

• heubergen
    heubergen
    Community Member

And even thought it currently only works with Windows, may you can start the beta testing for us soon so we can provide you with feedback before the masses starts using it in november :)

• pmclanahan
    pmclanahan
    Community Member

Just a +1 from me. I'm also on Firefox Nightly 55 and am just hoping 1p comes back soon. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to adapt the Chrome extension to a Firefox WebExtension.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the great product, AgileBits. I know you guys are actively working on this. Just want to chime in and said I am the other user waiting for this. 1password extension is the only incompatible add-on in my Firefox. Looking forward to the new plugin.

@owlhuang: We're on it! Thank you for the kind words and support. We couldn't do any of this without you and the rest of our awesome customers! :chuffed:

And even thought it currently only works with Windows, may you can start the beta testing for us soon so we can provide you with feedback before the masses starts using it in november :)

@heubergen: Absolutely! There are some pretty big changes needed, so we'll want to open it up for public testing so folks with different setups than ours can give feedback. :)

Just a +1 from me. I'm also on Firefox Nightly 55 and am just hoping 1p comes back soon. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to adapt the Chrome extension to a Firefox WebExtension.

@pmclanahan: It sounds like you've been following our other betas. ;)

Indeed, we've recently introduced Native Messaging for Chrome on Windows and just added it to the 1Password for Mac beta, so we're laying a foundation there (and behind the scenes) for a bunch of big changes that will come in time. Thanks for the encouragement! :)

• CamJN
    CamJN
    Community Member

Commenting to subscribe to this thread for updates.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017

@CamJN: Not a problem, but in case it helps you or anyone else who wants to follow a discussion here in the future, just click the little "star" at the top to the right of the discussion title to bookmark it. Cheers! :)

• aaronraimist
    aaronraimist
    Community Member

I assume your developers have been following the state of add-ons on Firefox for a while now, if not see: https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/02/16/the-road-to-firefox-57-compatibility-milestones/. Basically the short of it is that Firefox is switching to use the same technology to build add-ons that the other major browsers use, WebExtensions. This should, in the long run, be easier for you guys as developers since you will have to maintain one fewer codebase. In the coming months add-ons that use older technology, like yours will be phased out. For example users like me who are testing the latest versions of Firefox can no longer run your add-on because it is not multiprocess compatible (yes there is a workaround but I'm not going to enable it, for anyone else who might read this post, you may want to enable extensions.allow-non-mpc-extensions in about:config).

So I would just like to know, first that you are aware of these changes (sorry if I missed some kind of blog post) and second that you are working on bringing the WebExtensions add-on that you already use in Chrome to Firefox. Once that is being worked on I would appreciate it if you could push it to the beta channel. Right now the beta channel is not marked as working with Firefox Nightly so I cannot install it.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
    Extension Version: 4.6.5
    OS Version: macOS 10.12.4
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:When will the 1Password for Firefox add-on support multiprocess?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aaronraimist: I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your post with the existing discussion on this.

You're right on! The stable version of Firefox is what we support, and while version 57 is still quite a ways off (end of the year, roughly, and we're not yet halfway), this is something we're actively working toward. Once we have something for testing, we'll be glad to release a beta publicly. I just can't say exactly when that will be. Thanks for the encouragement! :)

• brassen
    brassen
    Community Member

Commenting to subscribe to this thread for updates.

• DarkStar
    DarkStar
    Community Member

It is interesting... I couldn't get e10s to work before, it always told me it's been disabled by add-ons. I even removed almost all the add-ons I had and it still said that in about:support

I upgraded to version 53.0.2 a couple days ago. Of course e10s was not enabled. I found out that 1Password is being reported as incompatible via the Add-on Compatibility Reporter

I force-enabled e10s via a user flag and I see Firefox is running multi-process on my machine

Even though it claims 1P is not compatible, it works for me. The helper works, passwords are filled, Firefox doesn't seem to revert to single process, either. Weird, isn't it?

I'm on Win10 x64.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brassen: In case it helps you or anyone else in the future, you can also click the "star" at the top to the right of the thread title to bookmark a discussion so you receive notifications for it. :)

@DarkStar: Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, I believe this is because we're not yet to the cutoff point where this is required in Firefox.

• publicarray
    publicarray
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

@DarkStar

Even though it claims 1P is not compatible, it works for me. The helper works, passwords are filled, Firefox doesn't seem to revert to single process, either. Weird, isn't it?

Firefox has shims that enable Add-ons to work in multiprocess Firefox without the Multiprocess flag being set. These shims slow down FF and in the near future they will be removed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@publicarray: Thank you! It was driving me nuts that I couldn't remember why. If I'm reading this right, the compatibility shims will be removed by Firefox 56, possibly sooner. And of course the Nightly and Developer builds will see this first.

• DarkStar
    DarkStar
    Community Member

Thanks for the info. I suspected it might be some compatibility mode or something like that. Good to know.

• DarkStar
    DarkStar
    Community Member

I actually read that blog post before posting here. The part that confuses me is:

Unless your add-on has the multiprocessCompatible flag set to true or is a WebExtension, Firefox will run in single process mode. Firefox will run in multiprocess mode if all enabled add-ons meet this criteria.

I would understand that if Firefox worked in multiprocess mode without 1Password. However, for me, it doesn't. Without 1P I don't have any add-ons that would be incompatible with multiprocess, yet the browser claims e10s was disabled by add-ons. Well, this is not a Firefox support forum :) , but I just wanted to make that observation. This led me to enforcing e10s and seeing that 1P works and then I came here and wrote my previous post.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DarkStar: Hey, clear as mud, right? :lol:

1Password isn't multiprocess compatible, and we're not at WebExtensions yet, so it makes sense when looking at it that way...but I think it goes without saying that this is a confusing transition for everyone right now. Just glad I'm not the one having to write this code. :crazy:

• heubergen
    heubergen
    Community Member

If your a little bit more involved in the Mozilla Development Process as I am you see there's a reason for anything.
    @DarkStar If you wanna know we can found out why you don't get e10s even without 1Password, just open a new thread in the Lounge and mention me :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@heubergen: Not arguing there aren't good reasons, only that it's a bit confusing. I appreciate it's difficult to communicate stuff like this though. :)

• mruszczyk
    mruszczyk
    Community Member

Not trying to prod or rush anyone, what's the status of the next generation firefox extension? Is there anywhere else to track the progress?

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

The necessary changes need to make it from the beta to stable build of 1Password for Mac and then we are going to be introducing the new extension in beta. But we need this in all available builds of 1Password that work with our Firefox extension so that we don't break things for our beta extension users that are on stable builds of the apps. You can always check the 1Password extension release notes to see what the latest changes are. We will definitely be including information about this transition in the release notes.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• ashneo76
    ashneo76
    Community Member

Hi,

I am using Firefox Nightly 55.0a1 and based on the latest update of the browser, the 1Password addon will most possibly be outdated in November as per https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/ShimsNightly

On the good news, the chrome addon will be easy to port to Firefox, due to the API compatibility for WebExtensions.

I wanted to raise this as a heads up. In the meanwhile, I just copying and pasting passwords from 1P.

Thanks
    Ashish Shah

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

@ashneo76: Thanks! Yep, November is still a long way off, but we're working toward a new version of the 1Password extension that will take advantage of Firefox's newest frameworks. I've merged your post with an existing discussion on this. I'm sure we'll have more to say about this in the future. Cheers! :)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

If you're not already, @ashneo76, be sure you're on the beta release of 1Password's extension. We'll be rolling the new extension out there first, and we'd love for you to try it out.

• cpressland
    cpressland
    Community Member

Hi Agilebits,

Firefox 34 was released today with multiprocess support. When enabling the 1Password extension this new functionality gets disabled, this is evident when looking at about:support. Can we get an ETA on when the extension is likely to get support for this?

Thanks,
    Chris Pressland

1Password Version: 6.7.1
    Extension Version: 4.6.6
    OS Version: macOS 10.12.5

• jeremiahlee
    jeremiahlee
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

I was excited to see that Firefox 54 enabled multi-process for everyone and then disappointed to learn that 1Password is the one critical extension that stops me from being able to tell everyone to switch back to Firefox. Really hoping this is completed before the November cutoff. :)

For anyone who wants to live dangerously (not really):
    1. Go to about:config in your URL bar.
    2. Click "I accept the risk!"
    3. Right click anywhere, New > Boolean
    4. New preference name: browser.tabs.remote.force-enable
    5. Value: true
    6. Restart Firefox

This discussion has been closed.