Toolbar extension doesn't work

I know my password and can sign in successfully on my windows desktop and iPhone. But browser extension keeps prompting me for my password and denies access. As I mentioned, my master password is verifiably correct. I'm using chrome and cannot use any of the browser features. What's going on do you reckon?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can't sign in to toolbar

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @LaurieK,

It's hard to say on so little information I'm afraid. So we can have a base to work with could you tell us the following please.

1. What version of 1Password do you have?
    2. What version of the 1Password Browser Extension is installed?
    3. What does the lock screen look like, is it the image on the left or right below or even neither?

I can think of a couple of possibilities that might explain what you're seeing and these answers should guide us if there is anything to my hunch.

• LaurieK
    LaurieK
    Community Member

The lock screen that I get is the one pictured below (with the large key hole icon). In fact, as I navigate around this morning, that darn thing pops up all over the place and will not accept my password at all. Once I X out of it and delete the hidden password in the sign in screen, then sign in again, I can gain access. Toolbar version is 4.6.4.90 I don't know the 1Password version as I can't find it listed anywhere. Even after reading all Q&A, I can't find it.......I do not have a Settings or Preferences on any of my menus. Let me know where to find it and I'll gladly post it. Thanks for helping- whew this is frustrating.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LaurieK,

Sorry for the frustration getting signed in and finding the version number. Based on your reply, it sounds like you're using 1Password 6 - however if you can't unlock that 1Password Mini screen that appears (the one with the large keyhole icon) then it's likely you can't unlock the main 1Password 6 app either. You're only able to find the version number easily after unlocking it.

Knowing that you're a 1Password 6 user, I was able to look you up in our records and can see that you were able to sign into the 1Password 6 app previously so something must have gone wrong since then so that you can no longer log in. First, I would like to confirm that when you say you can log in on Windows, are you able to log into 1Password in your browser (e.g. Chrome)?

If you can sign into the 1Password in your browser then I will be able to guide you through signing into 1Password for Windows (1Password 6).

Looking forward to hearing back.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• LaurieK
    LaurieK
    Community Member

I can sign in when I access my 1password.com website, but only after I x out the big keyhole icon and backspace out of the pre-filled password and then enter my password. I can sign in through the app on my phone with no problem. This is super complicated- I was told it was "just going to work." I know my password is correct, so why am I not able to use the toolbar extension?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@LaurieK: I'm really sorry for the trouble you've been having, but I'm sure we can get it sorted out! Without more details of the history or what you're using, it's hard to say right now. But did you perhaps setup 1Password previously with a different Master Password?

For example, some folks started with the "standalone" version of the app, for which they'd have chosen a Master Password, and then later signed up for a 1Password.com membership using a different one there. Or you may have simply changed it somewhere at some point.

I also wonder if you maybe have multiple copies/versions of 1Password installed on your PC. If you open Control Panel and go to "Uninstall a Program" (Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features), what do you see there? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post any sensitive information, as this is a public forum.

Finally, if you'll tell us what browser you're using, we can walk you through finding its version and which 1Password extension(s) you have as well. Thanks in advance! :)

• LaurieK
    LaurieK
    Community Member

I did attempt to change my password the first time I had this issue. But when I went back to check within my account (Reveal Password) it was the original password and was not changed. The problem likely stems from this although it would never occur to me that one could change a password (in a password manager no less) that would not sync to the toolbar extension. I did check my control panel and find that I only have 1 version installed. I did not sign up twice. I purchased the Family right off the bat and have not changed plans since. Like I said, when I first began having this problem, I did go through the change password protocol and wound up here. I am using Chrome. Ironic that the password manager can't manage it's own password. Sorry, had to get that one in. So, what do I do now?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I did attempt to change my password the first time I had this issue. But when I went back to check within my account (Reveal Password) it was the original password and was not changed. The problem likely stems from this although it would never occur to me that one could change a password (in a password manager no less) that would not sync to the toolbar extension. I did check my control panel and find that I only have 1 version installed. I did not sign up twice. I purchased the Family right off the bat and have not changed plans since.

@LaurieK: Gotcha. And you're totally right. It's not something you should have to think about, and we're always working to make things smoother. Thanks for your feedback on this!

Ironic that the password manager can't manage it's own password. Sorry, had to get that one in.

lol touché. :lol:

Anyway, thank you for confirming that you changed it! Indeed, it takes us into the weeds a bit, but since 1Password doesn't store your Master Password, it never knows what it is or if it's changed. That probably sounds crazy, but the Master Password is just used as an input to encrypt and decrypt the data.

If you changed your Master Password through 1Password.com (or on another device), you'll need to unlock 1Password on your PC with the "old" Master Password and change it there (in Settings > Options > Advanced):

Does that help? :)

• LaurieK
    LaurieK
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

Thanks for your help. Almost there. I have unlocked using my old password and gone to Settings, Options, Advanced. I am able to highlight and click the Change My Password button, but it is unresponsive. Absolutely nothing happens. Any suggestions?
    And just so I understand this for future reference.......if I change the password on a single device, I have to go to each device and change it manually on each? Or is this just the case when its changed online?

AgileBits Update: A solution has been found for this problem. Please click the Proven Solution badge to view it.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @LaurieK,

I am able to highlight and click the Change My Password button, but it is unresponsive. Absolutely nothing happens. Any suggestions?

Sorry about this issue with the "Change Master Password" button. I think we'll need to take a look a Diagnostics Report to investigate this further.

Please click on that button once more, then gather a Diagnostics Report and send it into us. The following guide will show you how to create a Diagnostics Report:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

And just so I understand this for future reference.......if I change the password on a single device, I have to go to each device and change it manually on each? Or is this just the case when its changed online?

If you change it in 1Password 6 for Windows, it will only affect that single Windows device. However if you change in on the website (1Password.com), 1Password on your devices will update to accept the new Master Password. :chuffed:

Looking forward to hearing back.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• LaurieK
    LaurieK
    Community Member

Makes no sense. If I change it on the website it will update all devices but WILL NOT update my PC? If I change it on my PC, it will update on my devices, or no?

I will do the lengthy chore list that you've outlined above, but this has been going on for days now, and I'm about tapped out and ready to try another password manager. Do you think we can clear this up in short order?

For your reference, your support ID is [#RXH-96172-542]. Please include this ID in the subject of any followup emails so we can keep things organized. You may also have been asked to post this ID back to your thread in our discussion forum to expedite your request.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LaurieK,

I believe this will be resolved as yes, the intent is changing your password anywhere should force all clients connected to the account to require the new Master Password. When it comes to 1Password 6 for Windows we are somewhat dependent on the patience of our users because 1Password 6 for Windows was written from scratch and as a result is playing catchup to the other clients. Ideally it would be as feature rich as the others so behaviour was consistent and the Windows team is making great strides towards this but still the list of tasks is large. Due to the rapid progression on Windows it could be this is already implemented in either a stable version and an update will help or a beta and so the next stable will help. Things are happening so fast I do lose track a bit.

Somebody will be in touch shortly and I'm hopeful we can get this resolved and then a newer version of 1Password 6 for Windows will mean you never encounter this again.

ref: RXH-96172-542

• LaurieK
    LaurieK
    Community Member

"the intent is changing your password anywhere should force all clients connected to the account to require the new Master Password."

Yes, but this is not what happened if you read this thread thoroughly. The difference in my case is that after changing the Master Password, the new password is NOT then accepted on 1Password 6.

As for the rest.....I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm a gardener and own a small business- I do not understand that lingo and I shouldn't have to. I purchased a product and nowhere did it say that I needed to be a "patient user" for your myriad of technical reasons.

This is day 5 and countless hours of my time.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LaurieK,

That's why I chose the word intent. We're not there just yet on all supported operating systems but it's hopefully close and is the behaviour we're aiming for. I do understand it isn't what happened for you and it isn't considered good enough behaviour. Each version of 1Password for Windows though improves on the older one. Over time it will become more functional and we hope easier to use so confusion like this isn't caused by the application.

I believe you are still inside the trial period of your 1Password account so if you feel the software doesn't meet your expectations and that you shouldn't have to wait for a future version now is the time to consider that and why the trial period is important. We hope that people love 1Password but sometimes we are going to fall short for any number of reasons. The software will improve over time but it's the same with all software, the individual has to decide whether the software works well for them and whether any quirks can be tolerated whether there has been a commitment to fix or not.

• LaurieK
    LaurieK
    Community Member

I would just like the problem resolved because until then, I can't use the product effectively. Is there a fix for my problem? I'm just trying to click on a button that is not working. I'm just trying to get the browser extension to recognize and accept my password. Is this something that can be resolved in a few days? In a week? A month? If I had a better understanding of whether or not you can fix my issue, I would be in a better position to assess whether or not I can continue being patient. The emails and diagnostic reports I have sent have not seemed to resolve anything. I am still waiting to hear back. Can you check on the actual status of my problem? Thanks in advance. LaurieK

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @LaurieK,

Sorry about the delay with this - I have sent you some instructions in an email for how to resolve this. Let's continue our conversation over email and once we have got this resolved I'll post the solution here so it can help others.

Matthew

• LaurieK
    LaurieK
    Community Member

Thank you. I will proceed with the instructions this afternoon. Hopefully it will work out. I'll be in touch.
    Laurie

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

From speaking with LaurieK we have figured out what the issue was so I'm posting it here to help anyone else that might run into this.

Problem Description:

• Clicking the "Change Master Password" button in 1Password for Windows 6 doesn't work or is unresponsive.

Solution:

1Password for Windows has got into a bad state and simply needs to be reset:

1. Open and sign into your 1Password.com Account's website.

If you're having trouble signing in check out our support guide to help with that.

2. Once signed in, save a copy of your Emergency Kit.

Important: Please don't proceed if you can't finish this step. Let me know and I can help get you passed this.

3. Now you should have everything you need to start over. Now uninstall 1Password:

• On the Start menu, select Settings.
      • Select System > Apps & features.
      • Select 1Password, then select Uninstall.
      • Follow the on-screen instructions.
    4. Next, let's hide the current 1Password data on your PC so that 1Password will start over again - we'll need to use your Emergency Kit for this bit.

5. Open Windows Explorer and copy the following text into the Address Bar:

%localappdata%\1password

6. Hit Enter on your keyboard to go to the folder.

You should be taken to a folder called "1password" containing two other folders: "data" and "app".

7. Rename the "data" folder to "data_old".

8. Install 1Password 6 for Windows once again from here:

https://1password.com/downloads/

9. Open up 1Password 6 for Windows again and you'll be presented with the Welcome Screen asking for the details from your Emergency Kit, such as your "Sign in Address", Email, Secret Key & Master Password.

Please use the details from your Emergency Kit to sign in once more.

10. Now you should see your items appear in the app and should be able to log in using the same Master Password as you use on 1Password.com.

Clicking the "Change Master Password" button should also work but since you now have the same Master Password you shouldn't need to change it there.

Best regards,
    Matthew

This discussion has been closed.