Unable to access 1Password after reinstalling my Mac

Options
marion74
marion74
Community Member

Hello,
I have been using 1Password on my MacBook Pro since October 2015 with a licence purchased from the AgileBits store. I always use the 1Password Chrome extension.

Today I reinstalled my iOS and have since been unable to access my 1Password account. I have deleted and reinstalled the 1Password chrome extension. I have requested, received and applied my Licence information but I still get the same message from the extension: "Couldn't connect to 1Password".

I have tried using different versions of the 1Password app. I still get stuck on the same popup asking me to enter my account information.

But all I have is the Licence. I still have access to all the data on my old hard drive but couldn't find any files relating to 1Password - other than the app itself.

Could you help? I have a number of passwords stored under 1Password!!

Many thanks in advance,
Marion

1Password Version: 1 Password 6 (also tried with 1 Password 4)
Extension Version: 4.6.4.90
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: ?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @marion74,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with 1Password after reinstalling Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite). You described the problem that happens when you try to use the browser extension, but it sounds like that's probably because of the problem you're having with the main 1Password app. So I think the key to solving this is to sort out issues with the main app first.

I have tried using different versions of the 1Password app.

Do you mean version 4 and version 6, or do you mean you've tried installing the AgileBits Store version of the app as well as the Mac App Store version? If you purchased a license from our AgileBits Store, you'll need to use the version of the app available from our download site because the version available from the Mac App Store cannot read licenses from our web store.

Or if you were just referring to versions 4 and 6 of the 1Password app (from the AgileBits Store), you'll want to use version 6. (1Password 4 runs best on OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) and 10.8 (Mountain Lion), but you might run into issues with it on newer versions of OS X / macOS.)

I still get stuck on the same popup asking me to enter my account information.

Do you mean that when you open the 1Password app, you see the 'Welcome' screen that shows you options for where to find your existing data? If so, that means it isn't finding your data in the expected location on your Mac. Did you do a clean install of Yosemite, or are you using a new hard drive which doesn't have all the data from the old one? If so, that explains why the app isn't automatically finding your data.

If you chose the option to sign into a 1Password.com account on the 'Welcome' screen, that's why it's asking you to enter account information. If you don’t have an account on 1Password.com, you'll need to go back and choose a different option from the 'Welcome' screen. For example, if you had been syncing your 1Password data via Dropbox, select “Sync using Dropbox” under "Used 1Password before?".

I still have access to all the data on my old hard drive but couldn't find any files relating to 1Password - other than the app itself.

If you weren't syncing 1Password with Dropbox or one of the other sync options, another option is to find a backup of your data on the old hard drive (or on a backup of your Mac, if you have one). Your 1Password data folder would have been stored here: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/

Inside that folder, you should see a 'Backups' folder. Copy that Backups folder (or at least the latest backup file from inside that folder) to your new drive. On the 'Welcome' screen of the 1Password app, choose More Options > Restore from Backup > Choose Backup, and select your 1Password backup file.

Does that help? Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• marion74
    marion74
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG ,

Thank you for your detailed response. I'll try to clarify below:

• I purchased a licence from the AgileBitsStore and downloaded version 6 of the 1Password app from your download site.
    • Yes I'm talking about the 'Welcome' screen that shows options as to where to find my existing data.
    • I'm using a brand new hard drive but still have my old drive.
    • I don't remember syncing my data with dropbox or one of the other syncing options
    • I checked on my old hard drive under ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/ But there is no 1Password 4 folder at all! :'(

Is there still a chance to recover my data do you think?

Cheers,
    Marion

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@marion74: Is there a "1Password" folder there at least? Perhaps you had been using 1Password version 3 at that time, which would have stored its data there. If so, there should be archived copies of your vault in the Backups folder. Let me know what you find!

• marion74
    marion74
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty,

No, unfortunately there is no 1Password folder in the Application folder! Which is what worries me! Strange though because I have been using 1Password for several years and the data had to be backed up somewhere!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@marion74: Never mind backups, if 1Password's support folder isn't present, the app can't function. Are you seeing anything in ~/Library/Application Support/? If it's hidden, you'll need to navigate directly to it in Finder with ⌘ ⇧ G.

Alternatively, were you perhaps using the mac App Store version of 1Password? Its data is stored here: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/

• marion74
    marion74
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty ,

Thank you for your help!
    I did manage to locate a 1Password support folder on my old drive - it was indeed hidden. It does include a backup folder but dated 21 April 2017 which is the day I installed a new hard drive and a new version of 1Password. So curious to see if there is actually some data in there or if my old data was overwritten.

In the meantime, I signed up for a 1Password account which seems a much safer alternative than the license system. I'm slowly rebuilding my list of passwords, but I'm still missing quite a few so recovering my data would be helpful.

How do I transfer my old 1Password support folder onto my new account?

Many thanks for your help,
    Marion

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for your help! I did manage to locate a 1Password support folder on my old drive - it was indeed hidden.

@marion74: You're welcome! Glad that helped. I wasn't sure from your comment if you weren't seeing anything at all, or simply couldn't find the location in the first place.

It does include a backup folder but dated 21 April 2017 which is the day I installed a new hard drive and a new version of 1Password. So curious to see if there is actually some data in there or if my old data was overwritten.

1Password won't overwrite existing data. If there was already a support folder present, it would simply use that. Do you perhaps have backups that go farther back, perhaps to the time when you were using 1Password previously? May be worth checking.

In the meantime, I signed up for a 1Password account which seems a much safer alternative than the license system. I'm slowly rebuilding my list of passwords, but I'm still missing quite a few so recovering my data would be helpful.

While it won't help you now if you don't already have a backup of your data, 1Password.com includes automatically backs up your encrypted data, and the item history feature even lets you roll back a change if needed.

How do I transfer my old 1Password support folder onto my new account? Many thanks for your help, Marion

Once you have your data in a local vault in 1Password, you can move it to your 1Password.com account and you'll be all set. Let me know how it turns out!

• marion74
    marion74
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty

Do you perhaps have backups that go farther back, perhaps to the time when you were using 1Password previously? May be worth checking.

The only backup available is a file named: 1Password 2017-04-21 15_24_45 (0 profiles, 0 items, 0 folders, 0 attachments).1p4_zip

When I click on it, I get the following popup:

Not too sure how to move the data in a local vault from here....

Sorry to be a pain and thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers,
    Marion

• rickfillion
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi Marion,

If the file's name is 2017-04-21 15_24_45 (0 profiles, 0 items, 0 folders, 0 attachments).1p4_zip, then there isn't anything of interest in that backup, unfortunately.

Is there's a Data dir in that 1Password 4 folder you found? If so, does it contain OnePassword.sqlite, OnePassword.sqlite-wal and OnePassword.sqlite-shm? If so can you tell me the size (in bytes) of those files? Note that if you're looking at your current user's 1Password 4 folder (as opposed to a backup on Time Machine or something), then I know the answer of this question based on the screenshot you just posted... that database won't be containing anything of use to us.

Were you able to look for the ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/ directory to see if maybe something was stored there?

Rick

ref: RIH-83697-467

This discussion has been closed.