Request: Manage Thunderbird passwords on Mac

Options

Hi. I use Thunderbird for all of my email accounts and would also like to use it for chat accounts. This includes work accounts. However, we have a company policy against storing passwords in apps (T-bird is not that secure, even with the master password), but we ARE allowed to use password managers like 1Password. Since you have a plug-in/extension for Firefox, I was hoping you might be working on one for Thunderbird that could manage/provide all account passwords. Any chance? For what it is worth, I am on a Mac running OS X 10.11, but I am guessing that is not particularly important in this discussion.

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11
Sync Type: Thunderbird
Referrer: forum-search:Request: Manage Thunderbird passwords on Mac

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @cdrowell,

I apologise but I can't see this happening any time soon I'm afraid. It's an interesting idea but the main browsers keep us busy enough at the moment. Even if there was a lull that allowed us to consider more unusual filling ideas we would have to consider the benefit of supporting just one email client and what kind of user base Thunderbird has. I say that as somebody who uses both Mail and Thunderbird too. I am sorry, it's never fun to say no but this seems very unlikely to happen I'm afraid and it's better to disappoint you now rather than offer any hope that this could happen.

It's at least nice to hear of a company policy that is realistic to the hassles surrounding passwords and acknowledges password managers. I'm not sure how wide-spread that is or not but it makes a refreshing change from hearing about password changing policies that only encourage bad security practices.

• cdrowell
    cdrowell
    Community Member
    Options

Ah well. It was worth asking. I do understand the challenge and choices that have to be made. Thanks for the quick response.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for understanding @cdrowell,

If you ever need anything else, please don't hesitate to write again. We're always here to help.

Best regards,
    Matthew

This discussion has been closed.