Duplicate items after switching to account

markjreed
markjreed
Community Member

I switched from a standalone 1Password to a Family account. I copied everything from my primary vault to the family vault, and everything was fine - I did this on my personal laptop and my iPhone. Then, today, I did the same thing on my work Mac, and let it "Move" items from the primary vault into the account - and it duplicated every single item. It's not showing two vaults - the old Primary is gone. And when I look on my iPhone's "all vaults" view, I now see three of everything.

I didn't think the Move would duplicate items that were already there in the family account vault - I mean, they are completely identical, same title, same username, same password, same URL list, same everything. How can I clean this up? I would just delete everything from the family account and re-import from the old primary, but there have already been changes that are only in the family account, since that's what I've been using since I set it up.

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.1
Sync Type: 1Password Account
Referrer: forum-search:Duplicate items

Comments

• markjreed
    markjreed
    Community Member

Not sure what the supported solution is, but what I did was export everything into a 1pif file, which was almost JSON. Massaged it into JSON, ran it through jq 'unique_by(del(.uuid))' to remove items that were identical except for the UUID, turned it back into 1pif. Deleted everything in my vault and imported the new 1pif. Things are much cleaner now.

• rickfillion
    edited December 2016

Hi @markjreed,

Wow, that's a super cool solution you made for yourself. I've just recently installed jq and have been playing with it. The solution you came up with is better than anything I would have suggested.

What you saw there is the expected behavior. I'm not going to say that it's GOOD behavior... but it worked as it was coded to work. The migration from Primary to Personal should really only be done on a single device, and our interface should make that more clear.

Allow me to talk about the problem a little, then I'll talk about what I'd like to see as a solution... The primary problem here is that when copying an item from one vault to another, we generate it a new uuid. At one point we used to copy the uuid, but we stopped doing that when 1Password.com accounts became a thing. The UUID format of items in 1Password.com vaults vs the standalone vaults are different (same amount of bits, encoded differently). Technically speaking, you can translate from one format to the other and back. I spent what felt like an eternity trying to make that translation work, but it became a game of whackamole with edge cases. That got scrapped and now we just create the new uuid. Technically speaking, it's more proper to create the new uuid, as it's a new object, and every object should have a unique identifier. If two objects have the same unique identifier but can be different from one another... then that unique identifier means little. So when copying the item into the vault we don't look for items that are the same as it except uuid as your script did. Instead the app blindly created a new item, with a new uuid, and copied the data into it.

Solutions... We could do a scan to find items that are like it minus uuid. It'd probably be a little expensive to do CPU wise on something like a phone, but it could be done.

What I've had in my mind as a possible solution is to instead mark some kind of "originated from" uuid inside of items. So you create an item in VaultA with uuid 1234. You copy that item to VaultB, it gets uuid 5678 but then has originatedFrom:1234. So then if you were to copy 1234 from VaultA to VaultB again, we could do a scan for any item with originatedFrom:1234, and instead of creating a new item, we could merge the two (that way if they're the same you get an end result of nothing, and if they're different you get both pieces of information).

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience here. I'm hopeful that we'll get something smarter in place in the future.

Rick

• tkruppstadt
    tkruppstadt
    Community Member

I think I had the same experience. I just signed up for the 1password account and now I have the "Personal Vault" from the account which has duplicated everything in the "Primary Vault." I'd like to just dump the Primary Vault and only use the "Personal Vault" but not sure how to do that.

• @tkruppstadt No problem. You can remove the Primary vault by first moving remaining items to your account if they aren't in there already. Then move the rest to the Trash by selecting them and pressing delete on your keyboard. Now switch to the Primary vault and choose 1Password -> Delete Vault from the menu bar. If you're using Windows, you can remove the vault by clicking the gear icon, choosing Accounts & Vaults -> Primary -> Remove. Hope that helps! :)

• ameldrum1
    ameldrum1
    Community Member

Hi - I just transitioned from standalone licence to an account, and after updating my iMac and iOS devices to the account, I then attempted to update my MacBook Pro - which has somehow resulted in a complete set of duplicates in my new account?

This is a somewhat frustrating, and I cannot readily see how to fix.

What should I do?

• ajpegg
    ajpegg
    Community Member

I made the mistake of migrating the same items from 2 devices into my new 1Password.com account.
    I had assumed the system would be clever enough NOT to add duplicate items BUT IT ISN'T.
    Luckily I had not deleted my old Primary vault, so I exported that, then deleted everything and re-imported, otherwise it would have been very messy.

Please Agilebits -have a look at the management of duplicate items!

Thanks

• @ameldrum1 Did you happen to do what ajpegg mentioned in the post below yours? Duplicates can be created if you migrate the same data from two devices. The easiest way to resolve them would be to restore from a backup of your original vault, then migrate your data one more time and remove the old vault from your devices. I mentioned how to remove it in my post above. Hope that helps!

@ajpegg I'm very sorry about that. We have fixed this bug in version 6.5.1 of 1Password for iOS and will be updating the Mac app with a fix for it soon.

• ameldrum1
    ameldrum1
    Community Member

@Jacob. Thanks - so yes I restored from a backup, overwriting my duplicated account data. Back to 618 items on my iMac, and also 618 in my 1Password web account.

Perhaps another small bug though - when I then opened 1Password on various iOS devices that are also signed into my new 1Password account, the syncing process commenced (with 1200 odd items), dropped to zero, then resynced - but instead of getting to the new item count of 618; on all 3 devices it stopped at 549 items. The only way I was able to resolve this was to manually quite the 1Password application and restart it - at which point it then (completed the sync? and) displayed the full 618 item count.

• @ameldrum1 Thanks for the update. Could we take a closer look at the logs from your iOS devices where that issue happened? Please send us a diagnostics report from the devices:

How to send a diagnostics report from your iOS device

Attach each Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• ameldrum1
    ameldrum1
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

@Jacob

Re: [#RGM-42657-622] 1Password for iOS Diagnostic Report

Here is the Support ID for the iPhone diagnostic report

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! We'll work with you via email until everything is resolved so that we are not duplicating efforts or creating any confusion. :+1:
    ref: RGM-42657-622

• Zulanova
    Zulanova
    Community Member

I, too, switched from a standalone 1Password to a Family account, and let 1PW "Move" items from the primary vault into the account — and it duplicated every single item. The old Primary is gone, so I don't have the option of restoring from a backup, deleting Primary items, and then trashing the vault, do I? How can I get rid of 1000 duplicates from my new Personal vault without doing it one-by-one?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Zulanova: Did you perhaps do the "move" process on multiple devices, so you'd have moved the same data to the account more than once?

If you still have your original vault (or a backup), it may be simplest to delete everything in the account and move everything over again — this time just once. Let me know what you find!

• Zulanova
    Zulanova
    Community Member

@brenty I have my original vault on a laptop (as well as zip backup from Dropbox). I'm assuming I could restore from either of those. However, I created new logins in the account in the meanwhile. If I delete everything in my account, I'd need to first copy those new items back into the original vault (once it's been restored). How do I know which new items need to be migrated from my account back to the original vault?

• Frank
    edited April 2017

Hi @zulanova - Great question! You can sort the items by "date created" which might give you a better idea on the items you need to move back over to your Primary vault. I hope this helps and we'll be happy to help if you have any additional questions. :+1:

• Zulanova
    Zulanova
    Community Member

@Frank It looks like I was able to move all new items back to the old primary vault, then replace the account with the items from the old vault. Would have been easier to have a better move/migration tool that would have at least warned about duplicates beforehand (and ideally have migrated only the latest version of any duplicates).

• Hi @Zulanova - That's great news! I'm glad the information helped with locating the new items that were recently added. I agree we can definitely do better with the migration and I appreciate your feedback. We have some ideas we're working on so hopefully you will see these improvements in the future. Sorry again for the troubles and I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us - very helpful :smile: Let us know if you have any additional questions and we'll be happy to assist. Enjoy the rest of your day! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.