I am unable to open my 1Password vault on a new Windows machine

Hello- I have a stand alone license. I have my vault synced to all of my devices using Dropbox. I am able to successfully sign into all of my devices except my Windows machine which recently had the hard drive replaced.

Here are the steps I took to set it up on the Windows machine with the new hard drive:

First, I installed Dropbox, and I can see that my keychain is in the folder. Then, I installed 1Password 4 for Windows 10. I registered it with my license key. Then, I clicked File>Open 1Password Vault and linked it to my keychain in Dropbox. This seemed like it was all set up correctly, yet when I entered my master password, I get the error message that the password is wrong. I know the password is correct because it works perfectly on my iPhone and I retried it several times in the app pane of my Windows machine.

I uninstalled version 4 and installed 6 and that did not work either. Then I reinstalled version 4 and still the same result.

Again, my only problem is that I can't seem to open my vault on my "new" Windows machine.

Any suggestions??? Thank you in advance!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Leighaheydt: It sounds like Dropbox simply hasn't finished syncing all of your data, which will prevent 1Password from being able to open the vault properly. It isn't checking your Master Password, only trying to use it as an input to decrypt the data. So if the data is incomplete, it won't work. Take a look at your 1Password vault in Windows explorer and also the Dropbox icon in the notification area to check the status. Let me know what you find!

• Pandacar
    Pandacar
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

@brenty Hi Brenty- Thanks for this. I just looked at the Dropbox icon in the notification area and the folder, and everything was synced. I retried my Master Password three times and it still did not work. So, I just re-started my machine and I am waiting for Dropbox to re-sync and will try again and let you know.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Leighaheydt: I suspect that will do the trick, but please do let me know either way!

• Pandacar
    Pandacar
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks, I will. My Dropbox files are still syncing, which is not entirely surprising because I do have a lot of data in there. Even the keychain file shows that it is still synching, despite the fact that many other larger files are complete. I find that strange, but to your point, if that file is not complete, I can understand why it wouldn't open.

I don't know why it looked like the files were completely synched this morning, because they clearly weren't. I will have to let it sync all day and try it later tonight when I get back to this machine. I will let you know then either way, but I suspect you are right and that will clear it up. Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, I will. My Dropbox files are still syncing, which is not entirely surprising because I do have a lot of data in there.

@Leighaheydt: Same here! :lol:

Even the keychain file shows that it is still synching, despite the fact that many other larger files are complete. I find that strange, but to your point, if that file is not complete, I can understand why it wouldn't open.

A 1Password vault is composed of multiple files, so it could literally be just one that Dropbox hasn't finished syncing yet. Dropbox just seems to sync files in no particular order, so it can be bought the first time. The good news is that once it's done, 1Password data is relatively small and quick to sync, especially when making minor changes.

I don't know why it looked like the files were completely synched this morning, because they clearly weren't. I will have to let it sync all day and try it later tonight when I get back to this machine. I will let you know then either way, but I suspect you are right and that will clear it up. Thank you!

Honestly, it's easy to miss if you're not looking for it. You did the right thing by reaching out. We're here for you. :)

• Pandacar
    Pandacar
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

@brenty Dropbox finally finished syncing, my password worked, and my vault opened, so all is well as you predicted. Thanks again!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Leighaheydt: On behalf of Brenty you are very welcome! :)

Please do not hesitate to contact us again in the future, we re always ready to help. Have a great week!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.