Paying without credit card

kingjojo
kingjojo
Community Member

It seems that the only payment option you offer is paying by credit card, which is unfortunate as not everyone got one. Having a credit card is not that widespread in Europe and you seem to miss many purchases because of that. I'm wondering if you are ever going to change that.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:payment

Comments

• Hi @kingjojo,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'm not aware of any specific plans for alternative payment methods at this point, but thank you for letting us know that you'd be interested!

Ben

• SoftAllan
    SoftAllan
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

Could you add Paypal Subscription to the list of payment methods?

• @SoftAllan,

At the moment we're working exclusively with Stripe, and whatever payment methods they support. We may explore other options in the future but for the initial release we wanted to avoid as much complexity with regards to billing as possible. There is already a fair bit of inherent complexity. Each payment provider we add magnifies the potential troubles with billing, so we want to be very careful.

That said we've had a number of requests for other options and we'll certainly continue to evaluate the situation and consider possible additions.

Thanks!

Ben

• My1
    My1
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

I would certainly agree to have a credit card free option, in my opinion CCs are unsave (I, mean a photo from the front and back (or only the front in case of amex and you can do what you want) and I dont really have a CC because of that. also at least here in germany iirc Credit cards arent really widely used. it isnt like in the US where it seems like every 13 year old runs around with a CC.

I would really prefer having an option like paypal. I dont know about your side but at lest from a user side paypal is pretty easy in my opinion.

although my case isnt for 1pw family but for single user, but there's no other forum for that.

• Thanks for the feedback @My1. We do have a large number of German customers, but thus far the feedback that additional payment options would be desired has been fairly minimal (in comparison).

I would really prefer having an option like paypal. I dont know about your side

It would not be an easy change to accept payments from multiple sources. Our billing is current married pretty closely to Stripe's APIs, and so adding PayPal (or another source) would be non-trivial.

That said, depending on what feedback we receive, we will likely consider adding another provider such as PayPal in the future.

Ben

• OLLI_S
    OLLI_S
    Community Member

@Ben
    I also live in Germany and although I am a 44 years old man, I don't have a Credit Card.
    Here in Germany Euro Cards (EC cards) are much more popular but Credit Cards are not that popular as in the US.
    So please add PayPal as payment method.
    And please do this within 5 months, then the 6 months free trial period is over.

• My1
    My1
    Community Member

well EC doesnt mean Eurocard iirc, but anyway. Small explanation on how our cards work.

our EC cards are essentially directly linked to our bank accounts and when we use them (e.g. in stores) the money is pulled directly from our cards.

for online payments and stuff at least in Germany we have something called "Lastschrift" where we give the store out account and bank number which allows them to essentially esentially to take the money from our account.

the best thing is that there are no credits involved or anything.

• Thanks for the feedback folks. :+1:

• shadowOnTheScreen
    shadowOnTheScreen
    Community Member

I totally second the others. Nobody I know has a credit card, it is superfluous to have one here in central Europe and the requirements to get one are also pretty strict with respect to monthly income and employment status etc.
    I would have loved to use 1Passowrd since I am a tech freak and I dig the extensive documentation you provide concerning security and encryption.
    How about Bitcoins?

Regards

• mokuper
    mokuper
    Community Member

I would also like this feature.

• Thank you everyone for the awesome feedback! I really do appreciate you all taking the time to share some suggestions with us. I agree, not everyone owns a credit card. In the past, I've recommended purchasing a MasterCard or VISA gift card which can be used to pay for a 1Password Membership. I thought I would mention this in case anyone was interested. I can't discuss future development but I will make sure to pass your feedback along to the team. Thank you again and let us know if you have any additional suggestions for the future. I'm always happy to listen :smile: Have a great day everyone!

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member

What about subscribing to 1Password for Families through the App Store for iOS?

You can easily buy an iTunes gift card to load your account with enough for a yearly subscription.
    You don't need to have a Credit/Charge Card for an iTunes account.

Around here, almost every store selling gift cards carry these.
    Just another option if you have an iOS or macOS device.

@skippingrock

• Hi @skippingrock - You're completely right! Great suggestion and I'm glad you mentioned this :+1: You can definitely purchase an iTunes gift card and use that to pay for the account if you subscribe through iTunes. I wish there was a :high-five: emoji to use for this type of a situation. Thank you again for the assistance :smile:

• My1
    My1
    Community Member

by the way, the same is obviously possible with Android and the Playstore, and if you have Paypal you dont even need to go buying gift cards, because the Playstore supports paypal payment

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member

@Frank (Especially since those pre-paid MasterCard or VISA gift cards charge you some sort of stupid administrative or activation fee. iTunes (or Playstore) gift cards are treated as straight cash $ for $ (¢ for ¢) …

This doesn't however work in countries (for iTunes) where the items are not paid in local currency. I'm not sure, but the last time I was there, you had to pay for things in USD when in Korea and Gift Cards are not possible to buy with cash in stores (You have to buy online with a Credit/Charge card). So, you'd lose on exchange rates with this solution.

So, this might not work everywhere.

• Hi @My1 - As of right now, you can't subscribe through the Google PlayStore. It's definitely something we're looking into for the future but I do appreciate the help :smile:

Good point @skippingrock - this is definitely handled differently depending on your location and currency. Thanks again for the assistance :+1:

• My1
    My1
    Community Member

@Frank why even need to subscribe? pay once for whatever duration you like and forget it until you need to renew

• Hi @My1 - I'm sure the Android team will have more news on this in the future if it's rolled out. I can't really comment on how this will work at the moment, I hope you understand. In the meantime, I'll make sure to share your feedback with the team :+1:

• L3viathan
    L3viathan
    Community Member

I'm in the same boat as most of the other commenters in this thread (would like to subscribe, don't have CC, use Android).

I'm not sure how useful the VISA gift card suggestion is, since it seems to be a mostly US concept, where the problem doesn't really exist.

I'm aware that from your perspective, you want to keep payment as simple as possible, and having to support multiple payment providers seems to be more effort than it's worth financially. The most realistic fix I see for this is either Stripe adding Paypal themselves, or the Android app adding a subscription option similar to the iOS one.

Is there a way to keep up-to-date with a specific issue like this (how do I know the problem is solved as soon as it is)?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017

@L3viathan: Believe it or not, even in the US, a lot of folks don't have credit cards — or even bank accounts! :crazy:

Indeed, it would be convenient if Stripe happened to add some other options. We do want to keep it simple, as we don't have any insight into things when payments are declined, so even with a single provider it's difficult to help customers who run into trouble with this.

But you make a good point indirectly: most people will probably have either an Android or iOS device, so having direct payment available for both could help a lot (except in cases where setting up payment there is even a hurdle for some users).

Anyway, it's definitely something we'll continue to consider. Not something we're able to work on right now, but it's good to get feedback like this so we get a sense of what people are looking for over time. We can update this discussion when we have any news on this. Cheers! :)

ref: b5-2173

• Chappmeister
    Chappmeister
    Community Member

Hi there,

To add paypal to you're payment options would be awesome. Please take a look at it to add it. It would be handy :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's something we're considering for the future. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• djjjk
    djjjk
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

dear Agilebits,

the excuses not to add PayPal are pretty lame! "Thanks for the feedback"… translates… "stop bothering us".

I love 1Password and have bought numerous instances/upgrades across "all" platforms, has added up to a nice sum over the years. However, I think moving to a sub-based model and making purchasing the standalone version (my preference) less enticing is not winning you any fans. The sub model is practical for sure, but long term its just costly. Don't forget most of us have other monthly costs and they just seem to add up without corresponding increases in income. I for one will take my business elsewhere as soon as a suitable candidate appears.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

dear Agilebits, the excuses not to add PayPal are pretty lame! "Thanks for the feedback"… translates… "stop bothering us".

@djjjk: I don't know what "excuses" you're talking about. 1Password.com doesn't support PayPal payments. Period. Maybe we can add that in the future. Rather than "stop bothering us", I wish you'd mentioned something about why you'd like us to support PayPal.

I love 1Password and have bought numerous instances/upgrades across "all" platforms, has added up to a nice sum over the years. However, I think moving to a sub-based model and making purchasing the standalone version (my preference) less enticing is not winning you any fans. The sub model is practical for sure, but long term its just costly. Don't forget most of us have other monthly costs and they just seem to add up without corresponding increases in income. I for one will take my business elsewhere as soon as a suitable candidate appears.

Certainly we appreciate your support in the past and would love to have you continue using 1Password in the future...but if you already have what you need you can continue using it without buying anything else; and given that and that you are not interested in our new offering, I don't see how payment methods are relevant. :unamused:

• My1
    My1
    Community Member

@brenty, for 3 simple reasons:
    a) Availability: not everyone has credit cards, that's the whole point of this topic after all, and
    b) Security: even if someone has a CC, a user might not wish to give the CC data to everyone, a malicious actor cant misuse the data a web service has from paypal the way they can misuse credit card data
    c) Simplicity: when the CC runs out or the user gets another card for whatever reaspn it's probably a pain to go to each place where they use it. having that centralized makes it easier.

• Great! Thanks for taking the time to write that up. It is helpful when prioritizing improvements to understand why a feature may be helpful.

Ben

• My1
    My1
    Community Member

well the first point is obviously main.

and honestly I dont see why a lot of the stuff in the web require a credit card. you dont wanna throw everything on a credit , this whole stuff is pretty annoying imo. sadly there apparently isnt an international standard for like just pulling the money from your bank account which is why services like paypal are so common because they act as a pretty nice connector for local ways of payment and the international network.

• djjjk
    djjjk
    Community Member

@brenty: I don't have what I need! I was about to update (a new OS dictates I have to) and buy the standalone version and stopped when I noticed I couldn't use PayPal, (and got hit for VAT too, with "no option to deduct"… I'm VAT registered).

My records show that I updated 1Password 3 using PayPal, so the function has been "discontinued" as opposed to something that is "being considered in the future" (naughty fib). PayPal suits me, it's flexible and safer for worldwide payments. Plus not everyone has credit cards and those that do, don't necessarily want to use them on the net (mine was cracked a few years back when TicketMaster were compromised).

What has happened? A few years back 1Password was a "good deal" cheaper and AgileBits used to throw out regular bonus gifts. I've no issues paying my way, paying for upgrades etc, but it is getting just too expensive and less customer friendly. Seems like we are being herded toward a sub model whether we want it or not.

Regarding the subscription: one thing is not 100% clear… if I subscribe and cancel after a year, what happens, can I continue to use the software? What about using it offline?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Great points. Honestly, my concern with bank accounts isn't so much that there's no good standard for doing small payments that way, it's how insecure it is. :(

• My1
    My1
    Community Member

well credit cards arent really safe either, you take 2 pictures (or just one in case of an AMEX) or you just hack someone who has CC Data and use that to have some fun. also some places dont even require the confirmation number, amazon for example.

with paypal on the other hand you can create merchant credentials for taking money more often (for example in steam) or you can just get specific payments (or subscriptions which will be automatically be redone from paypal) and that's it. nobody gets a "master key" to get your money anywhere.

even if someone would get access to the payment permission token I have given steam, it wont help them unless they get paypal open as well.

relying on static information which cannot change to identify someone or to throw money around hasnt been a good Idea, it's the same crap as with those Social Security numbers or whatever, where as far as I read the knowledge of it is enough to assume the Identity of a person, which is just crazy especially since that number cant change, which is even worse consdiering that iirc with the Equifax hack those numbers were leaked as well.

long story short pulling from bank isnt the most secure way to do it, credit cards either but that's why there are things like paypal. the merchant doesnt need to worry about how to store payment data properly and safely (and most importantly, what NOT to store in the first place, like the confirmation number of the CC) because someone else is doing that for you.

This discussion has been closed.