To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How can I eliminate the old Primary vault now that I have a new account with default name Personal?

Beckym
Beckym
Community Member

I have just upgraded to an account from having the 1Password apps on my Mac and iPhone for years. I was able to migrate the data successfully and the phone app nicely offered to remove the old data. My MacBook, however, now has 3 vaults: Primary with my original data, MacBookPro which is empty, and a new vault for the account with my name and a folder called Personal. I cannot figure out how to remove the old vault. Having both vaults was wreaking havoc with my passwords and logins until I figured out the problem. I have made the new account the default "open first" vault, but why are there 2 databases when I only need one? Ideally, all my data would be in the Primary vault. Is that not possible with the new account system?

Thank you for any help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Beckym - Congrats on the new 1Password membership :smile: I'll be happy to assist you with deleting your Primary vault. Your new Personal vault will replace your Primary vault going forward. Your Personal vault is the one connected to the new account. Anytime you add a new item to your Personal vault (as long as your signed into the account) the changes will sync over to your other devices and via the web.

To delete your Primary vault, please follow the steps listed below:

Open & unlock 1Password on your Mac. Click 1Password in the menu bar > Select "Switch to Vault" and choose Primary from the list. Click 1Password in the menu bar and select "Delete Vault" from the drop down menu. You'll have to enter your master password before the vault can be deleted.

Let me know if this helped or if you have any further questions. :+1: I look forward to hearing back from you!

• Beckym
    Beckym
    Community Member

Thank you, Frank, for your quick response!
    The delete vault item is grayed out and I can't click on it. ???

• Hi @Beckym - You're welcome and thank you for replying back. Ahhh I think I have an idea what is happening here. Do you have any secondary local vaults besides your Primary vault? If so, the secondary vaults have to deleted first before you can delete the Primary vault. Keep me posted if you have any additional questions and if deleting the other local vaults helped resolve the issue for you :smile:

• Beckym
    Beckym
    Community Member

Yes, you were correct. I had to delete the MacBookPro vault first.
    Thank you very much for the help!

• Fantastic news! You're very welcome @Beckym :smile: Please feel free to reach out to us anytime, we're always more than happy to help out. Congrats again on the new 1Password.com account and let us know if you encounter any questions along the way :+1: Enjoy the rest of your day!

• TripleHjr
    TripleHjr
    Community Member

This explanation by Frank finally fixed my synch problems--deleting "Primary" vaults and just going with "Personal" with my subscription--please delete my threads in "Accounts and "Mac"--

• Hi @TripleHjr - I'm happy to hear the post helped and you're back in business :smile: Please feel free to reach out to us anytime, we're always here if you need us :+1: Have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.