Using QR code to set up 1P in new Windows machine

I have recently successfully setup 1P in two Windows machines using my 1P subscription account.

I feel I missed something obvious about the QR code and had to do both by entering everything manually.

After opening 1P in Windows immediately after installing, and going to sign in, I had the 1P window with the option to enter everything manually or use the QR code. I had the QR code open on my iPhone screen but could not see a way to get the Windows machine camera to see it.

Should I have imported the Emergency kit into Windows before signing in for first time?

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.5.401d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 1703 b15063.138
Sync Type: Account

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @mikebore,

Thank you for reaching out and signing up for 1Password! :+1:

If you sign in to your account at 1Password.com in the browser on your Windows PC, you can drag and drop the QR code to 1Password 6 welcome screen and it will fill your account details automatically. All you will have to do is to enter your Master Password and hit Enter. :) You can find a step by step guide about it on our website.

You can also save your Emergency Kit in 1Password, but we recommend to print it out, write the Master Password in the space provided, and keep it somewhere safe and secure. This way you won't get locked out of your 1Password Account. Don't forget to add recovery members if you are using 1Password Families or 1Password Teams.

Let me know if it helps and clarifies the setup process on Windows. If you have additional questions, we are always ready to help.

Cheers,
    Greg

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member

Thanks for quick reply.

I did think about signing in to 1P via a browser on the new Windows machine to get the QR code, but that still requires manually typing in the long secret key, so doesn't seem to offer much advantage compared to entering the long secret key manually in the app sign-in screen......or am I missing something?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mikebore:

Secret Key provides an additional level of security for your account, so you will have to enter it on new computers and devices. However, you’re not expected to enter the Secret Key every time – it’s safely stored in 1Password on your authorized devices. You will need your Master Password only to sign in to your account on authorised devices. You can read more about Secret Key on our website:

About your Secret Key

I hope it helps. I will be happy to answer other questions, if you have them. :)

Cheers,
    Greg

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member

Thanks...yes I understand that I don't have to enter the secret key every time (!)

So my conclusion is that there is no useful way to use the QR code to set up 1P on a new PC.

I have used the QR code successfully to set up iPhone and iPad so I assume this is its main purpose?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@mikebore: You are correct. At the moment it is not possible to scan the QR code on your printed Emergency Kit, if your Windows device has a camera. However, It doesn't mean we are not planning to add this functionality in the future updates. ;)

If there is anything else we can help you with, we are always here for you.

Cheers,
    Greg

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member

Thanks....I can live with typing in the secure code manually for new setups, which don't happen very often.

I really just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious about using the QR code.

• Nope, you weren't, @mikebore.

Thanks for asking and we apologise for the inconvenience.

Don't hesitate to write us again if there's anything else we can help you with.

Cheers,

Alex

This discussion has been closed.