Search Behavior After Clicking url in Found Login Entry

Options
southernforge
southernforge
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello,

It would be helpful if the search box behavior were changed, so that as the search results are found after typing in the search box, an "onClick" event is registered by the app when the user clicks on the url for the resulting entry - clearing the search box - clearing the search box.

It seems like it should be a somewhat simple thing to do - is that possible, perhaps?

Thanks,
@southernforge

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi @southernforge,

Thanks for writing in.

I'm sorry but I do not understand what you're asking. You want us to clear the search field automatically when you select an entry?

That's not a behavior we will be changing, there are legit reasons to retain the search results. Suppose you're searching for a list of sites that you want to change the password for, it'll be reset every time you click on the URL for the site and then go back to the main 1Password app to work on the next site on the list.

• tylex
    tylex
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT maybe a keyboard shortcut for clearing?

• Hi @tylex,

You can already do that with the esc key to clear the field. If the focus is in the details viewer, press Control + F to focus the search field and then esc.

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT thanks for the information.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Mike you are very welcome, southernforge! Please reach out to us anytime in the future, we are always ready to help. :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• admxnl
    admxnl
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT Could you make 1Password 6 respond to the esc key no matter where the focus is? It would make life much easier.

• MikeT
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi @admxnl,

Thanks for writing in.

That's hard to do because we have to handle all key events manually for each view you're in.

How about we start with the first view and go from there, is there a specific area where this is most difficult for you?

• admxnl
    admxnl
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

@MikeT The cursor in the search field only disappears when using the mouse, maybe you could make the cursor jump back in the search field when we leave the window and come back ALT+TAB. I've noticed I want to clear the search field the most when I go to another window, finished my work there and go back to 1Password.

I've also noticed CTRL+F does not always respond when 1Password is open for a long time, it starts responding when I click inside 1Password. It seems like it's stuck somewhere but haven't figured out how and when.

• That's interesting, @admxnl, thanks.

I'm not sure we'll be changing this. Going with Mike's example from above:
    You're looking to edit or update a number of items and you're editing one. If you switch back to 1Password from a different app and 1Password were to place the cursor in the search field, this would break your workflow.

Regarding Ctrl + F not working reliably, does this happen when using the app switcher to switch back to 1Password 6?

This discussion has been closed.