Help with 1password extension/helper problems...

Hi,

I recently did a clean reinstall of windows 10 and am now trying recover my 1 password function.

1. I have 1password running on my new PC and I can access websites stored in 1password but the program does not automatically fill in UN or PW anymore on its own.
  2. I downloaded and installed the Firefox 1password extension
  3. The extension icon appears on the Firefox taskbar at the top, but does not drop down with any info
  4. I get a message saying, " 1password helper needs to be running".

Beyond this I do not know what to do... help ?

1Password Version: 4.6.1.620
Extension Version: latest version
OS Version: 1703-150063.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@1200gs: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! If you're expecting 1Password to fill things for you automatically on its own, this isn't something it's designed to do; rather, it will only fill login credentials when you tell it to by selecting a login with the mouse or pressing Ctrl \ on the keyboard at the website.

But it does sound like you have another issue entirely: if you're being told that the 1Password Helper needs to be running, it either isn't, or something is blocking it from talking to the browser. It sounds like you're seeing the 1Password extension installed in Firefox, so that's a good start. But if you open Task Manager, are you seeing the "1Password (32-bit)" process running? That's the Helper. And if it's already running and unable to talk to the browser extension, something on your system is preventing it from doing so. Do you have "security" software or other extensions which might be interfering? Let me know what you find!

• 1200gs
    1200gs
    Community Member

Thanks for your help. This is what I see in task manager- pics attached

• 1200gs
    1200gs
    Community Member

I just did a clean reinstall of windows 10. No 3rd party security software running. No other extensions added.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Helo there @1200gs,

If you see that message, it seems that something is blocking the connection between 1Password app and 1Password extension in the browser. To get a better idea of the issue and confirm our hunch, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Windows, where you have this issue:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostic Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Thank you very much in advance! I will be looking forward to your email.

Cheers,
    Greg

• 1200gs
    1200gs
    Community Member

Hello,

I emailed an error report with username "1200gs" in title. Document number I received back is #XLD-39774-443.

1. I have attached below a pic of my 1password preference browser extension window.
    2. I might have used a "google sign in" when I reinstalled 1password. I cannot remember if a dialogue box came up to that effect.

Thanks,

Richard

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

Hi @1200gs, I've found your report, so we will take a look at get back to you via email. Thank you very much!

ref: XLD-39774-443

• 1200gs
    1200gs
    Community Member

Well... now my 1password browser extension appears to be working just fine.... mystery, but I will take it.... thanks for your help !

• rgarcia1801
    rgarcia1801
    Community Member

Please report your findings since I have the exact same issue. I would like to know what the fix is. thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@1200gs: Did you maybe just restart 1Password, the browser, or Windows? I find that can clear up some pretty inscrutable issues sometimes. I'll spend hours troubleshooting to no avail, and then after a quick reboot all of my apps work normally again. :crazy:

@rgarcia1801: We haven't identified a cause yet, but if we do we'll be sure to update both of you. However, it's most likely to be something specific to each setup, so if something was actively interfering (as opposed to a glitch) in that case, it may not necessarily be the same thing for you.

• korndoc
    korndoc
    Community Member

Greg,
    I am having the same problem 1200gs was having.
    The report I got back when I sent the email is: #TMZ-27798-915
    The only thing helpful in this report to me was to go to this blog
    I hope you can help me.
    Jeff

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

Hi @korndoc,

You did the right thing by contacting us! :+1: I've found your email on our side and we will reply to you very soon. Thanks!

ref: TMZ-27798-915

• korndoc
    korndoc
    Community Member

Thanks for your quick response, Greg.
    At your suggestion, I was going to do the diagnostic report, but I was having trouble starting the diagnostic report(could not tell if I had version 4 or 6) so I asked my son. Right away he realized we never downloaded the app. So you were right, there was no connection between the extension and the app, but not due to the firewall or anti-virus program but because there was no app at all. Duh!
    App has been installed and now All is OK
    Thank you,
    Jeff

Greg,
    I am having the same problem 1200gs was having.
    The report I got back when I sent the email is: #TMZ-27798-915
    Thew

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for following up! I'm glad to hear that all is well after installing 1Password, but we're here if you run into any other issues. :)

This discussion has been closed.