Does 1Password work on a Chromebook / Chrome OS?

Options

Comments

• shel_ley
    shel_ley
    Community Member
    Options

Has anyone had any experience with this? Someone created a web app that leverages the 1Password Anywhere feature with Dropbox:

https://github.com/asianmack/1password-anywhere

Would love to hear reviews/feedback from anyone who has tried this. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shel_ley: Sadly, I don't see how that can work. Due to improvements in browser security over the years and finally some Dropbox changes last year, 1PasswordAnywhere isn't really an option. There are probably still workarounds, but they'd inherently involve disabling some security features...and that's not really a good idea.

• jimvdpas
    jimvdpas
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty, you do realize you have been saying AgileBits "does not have the resources" to pursue a ChromeOS interface since October 2016? You might publish here what your development priorities are that take precedence. That way your ChromeBook customers might truly understand the development team's challenges.

• jimvdpas
    jimvdpas
    Community Member
    Options

This article is a bit dated now, the Chromebook numbers must be substantially higher by now:

GOOGLE

TECH
    Chromebooks outsold Macs for the first time in the US
    by Tom Warren@tomwarren May 19, 2016, 7:50am EDT

article at: http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/19/11711714/chromebooks-outsold-macs-us-idc-figures

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, but the demographics are a bit different for Chromebooks and Macs. I don't think there's a big market for 1Password in elementary schools. Not saying that only children use Chromebooks (I know adults that do), or that no children use Macs (I know a few), just that there are many factors to consider. Cheers! :)

• mokalatte
    mokalatte
    Community Member
    Options

My solution was to give Last Pass a try since it works on Chromebooks. I have been a diehard 1PW fan since the beginning. I have preached, sold and taught my clients, friends, family and even strangers how to use it. I am now using both products on my Macs and LP on the CB but I can see phasing out 1PW if they don't provide a product for CB soon. I have been a Mac professional since the 1980s and a Windows snob but I must say that I really enjoy working on my CB now too.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mokalatte: It sounds like first and foremost you're a technology enthusiast, so I get where you're coming from. We don't currently have plans to support ChromeOS "natively" (if such a thing can be said), but the 1Password.com web interface works there. I realize that's not a perfect solution though, so it's perfectly reasonable for you to use another tool if it better fits your preferences today.

I hope we'll be able to offer 1Password for more platforms in the future, but we don't have the bandwidth to build for a new platform alongside our current projects. We don't have a standalone browser extension, and while that's felt limiting at times, having one less attack surface — especially the browser — is not such a bad thing.

• mokalatte
    mokalatte
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I tried the web interface for the CB but wasn't satisfied so I tried LP. Overall I prefer 1PW apps but LP is better than I expected and I'm warming up to it. Too bad AgileBits don't have the "bandwidth" (not sure what you mean by that in this use case). It seems that Apple has stalled in their Mac hardware product line offerings and that is going to be another reason for consumers to check out Chromebooks and if they are Mac users, I think they are more likely to look into higher end CBs and I think their user experiences are going to produce a lot of movement from Mac to Chromebook.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mokalatte: Haha sorry, I meant "bandwidth" in the sense of having resources to throw at a new platform — in this case people and time, all of which are spoken for currently — so working on supporting a new platform would mean not doing the things we're already working on.

I don't think Apple is stalling so much as working on the next big thing. They've never churned out hardware the way the PC OEMs have historically, so that's just sort of par for the course. And at the same time Google's Pixel Chromebook seems to be done, so it's hard to find hardware on the high end there. Honestly the whole industry is in a bit of a lurch without huge progress like we used to get. Moore's Law couldn't last forever, I suppose. :unamused:

• gpioneer
    gpioneer
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hello, I'm not sure if posting a link/mentioning another product is allowed here, but brenty, please take a look at Enpass' implementation on Chromebooks (https://www.enpass.io/apps/chromebook/).

While not native, it does combine Chromebook's Android capabilities, and a Chrome extension to integrate it into day to day logins. Rather simple in that it stores all info on a file which you can save anywhere (Google Drive for example), and it syncs to it every so often.

I'm quite happy with it, but always looking for better options and I keep hearing 1password frequently come up. Thought I'd check it, but as a Chromebook user I am sad 1password doesn't support Chromebooks so I can't give it a try. I wouldn't want to copy/paste back and forth all day from a web interface for web logins. Worth seeing if it's a manageable implementation

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gpioneer: It's something we'll consider, especially as ChromeOS and Android converge in some ways. Frankly, I was hoping (and kind of expecting) that they'd be merging already, but things haven't really come together in that regard (no pun intended...okay, maybe a little). I hear you though. I wouldn't want to copy and paste were there an alternative. I've done that in the past and continue to do so in some browsers we're not able to support, so in that sense I think I can relate. You should absolutely use the tool that best fits your needs today. Perhaps in the future we'll be able to add an additional platform such as ChromeOS.

• richardc020
    richardc020
    Community Member
    Options

After 4 long fabulous years, I'm moving my family to LastPass because 1Password lacks Chrome OS support & this thread shows there's no possibility of it happening. Unfortunate, but realistic given my family uses a combination of Windows, Android, Chrome OS, Mac, and iOS with all requiring support (I can't exclude Chrome OS or spend time on Enpass).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The 1Password.com web interface works great on ChromeOS, but I appreciate that it's less convenient than a standalone extension that lives entirely within the browser and stores your data there, even if that exposes another attack surface.

That said, while it's a shame to see you go, you should absolutely use the tool that best fits the requirements you've set for yourself. We'd rather you use a competitor's product than nothing at all. Stay safe out there.

• Kyrra
    Kyrra
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to throw my vote for 1Password Chrome OS support. Even if it required 1password teams/family to use, I'd really be happy to have it. No 1password support is one of the reason I'm considering avoiding Chrome OS, but I may just switch password managers too.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's understandable. Perhaps we'll be able to do something in this area someday, but I wouldn't want to give you false hope. Thanks for letting us know this is important to you.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Indeed, but the demographics are a bit different for Chromebooks and Macs. I don't think there's a big market for 1Password in elementary schools. Not saying that only children use Chromebooks (I know adults that do), or that no children use Macs (I know a few), just that there are many factors to consider. Cheers! :)

@brenty, I see what you're saying. I know more people who use Linux then I know who use Chomebooks. I know 1 person who uses one, and that's my nephew for school. The school gave it to him for school, he can't put anything on it, and it sits in his room when not in school. He only uses it during school, and back to his iPad or Windows PC when he's home.
    It's a whole different market with Chomebooks and they are higher just because they are used for school. You remove schools, sales will be way below Macs.

Even in this link I read this:

Chromebooks have been extremely popular in US schools, and it's clear from IDC's comments the demand is driving US shipments.

@richardc020 are you sure LastPass supports ChromeBooks? I'm on thier site now and see nothing about it. I select Chrome, but it's just for the browser. Nothing about a native app for it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@prime: Yeah. I think it's because of the "standalone" browser extension. Definitely helps with cross-platform support, but it opens up additional opportunities for attack.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I'll keep my 1Password then :p

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Me too, but we're always looking into new opportunities to make 1Password more convenient and secure. Cheers! :)

• jimvdpas
    jimvdpas
    Community Member
    Options

Isn't the cloud based version of 1Password just as susceptible to attacks? If not, why not? We have been forced to split our family preference between 1Password and LastPass to accommodate a Chrome OS unit my wife now uses. But I found that LastPass has benefits for me too at work! My employer will not allow 1Password to be installed and therefore the 1 Password Chrome Browser extension cannot function at the office. Surprisingly they do allow Chrome Browser to be installed. As a result, the standalone browser extension for LastPass functions at the office. Thus back to my starting question: "isn't the cloud based version of 1Password just as susceptible to attacks? If not, why not?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jimvdpas: Great question! It's hard to give a definitive answer without knowing what specific "attacks" you have in mind, but there was a good discussion on the security of the 1Password.com web interface recently that might interest you.

However, one important thing I can add here that didn't come up in that discussion is that when you access 1Password.com in your browser, it isn't downloading all of your data and storing it in the browser. This is actually a hallmark of 1Password's security model in general: not storing sensitive data in the browser, and (related) not decrypting all of your data at once. All of this is done on demand, as you access each item, for example. This has limitations of course, but it helps reduce the attack surface, and therefore damage if your machine is compromised.

That said, regardless of the implementation, nothing can protect you from yourself; if your machine is compromised you should assume that the attacker will be smart and patient enough to simply let you hand over the data to them as you access it yourself. 1Password can protect your data at rest, as it's encrypted; but it must be decrypted for you to access it...and then anyone else with the same privilege level as you should be able to access it as well. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• wimpler
    wimpler
    Community Member
    Options

I've just signed up to a family account, fully expecting 1password to support Chromebooks. It doesn't seem to. Still, since this was requested back in 2016. Please let me know how I go about retrieving the last 30 minutes and a full refund. Thanks.

Seriously? An app to remember all your online passwords that doesn't work with a laptop whose sole use is to be used online?? Yes, so it works with Android...

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hey @wimpler,

A couple of weeks ago we started private beta testing something new and pretty awesome for Chrome OS.

This isn't going to be for everyone (at least not yet), but if you (or others) love being on the bleeding edge, please email us at chromeos@1password.com with your forum username and the email you are using with your 1Password.com account and we'll invite you to come try our private beta.

PS: Welcome to our Support Forum!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• mm2001
    mm2001
    Community Member
    Options

A couple of weeks ago we started private beta testing something new and pretty awesome for Chrome OS.

Hurray! It seems my timing is fortunate. For a couple of years, as tech support for many family & friends, I've been moving them all to ChromeBooks (& large Chrome screens, whatever they're called). This frees up heaps of time, especially in the latest spate of ransomware.

I'll send a note for the beta and see how it goes with the non-tech folks in my family (who currently use Lastpass).

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mm2001: I'd hold off on getting your family and friends involved unless they particularly enjoy testing prerelease software (I know I do!), but the feedback of everyone who participates in this beta will help us refine it so it will be enjoyable for everyone to use once it's released. :chuffed:

• mm2001
    mm2001
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks for the caution. Yes, I'll be trialing it myself first for sure! It's just great to know that this is now in the works in some form. (I started this thread at the beginning and was bracing myself for the "not working on it yet" final post).

I've heard so many great things about 1Password for so long but there's always been something in the way of adoption. This is the closest I've come.

Btw, I have no problem with the subscription model. In fact, I'm rather relieved to see it get more prominence. I'm reassured by the presence of a sustainable business model for one of the most used and most critical pieces of software I own. (Fun fact: the recent news furor was what reminded me to take another look.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mm2001: Very cool. Thanks for taking a look at 1Password! The new ChromeOS- and Linux-compatible extension isn't quite ready for prime time yet, but we're making good progress. Looking forward to hear what you think once we've got you setup! :)

• fbn
    fbn
    Community Member
    Options

I have a license and not a subscription. Can this still work for me?

• @fbn The new extension requires a 1Password.com account (subscription membership).

Thanks.

Ben

• matth1jd
    matth1jd
    Community Member
    Options

Just sent an email about getting into the private beta. I'm really missing 1Password on my Chromebook!

This discussion has been closed.