ESET Smart Security's Banking Protection does not work with new Firefox 4.6.1 extension

2»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BobArch2: Indeed, and literally nothing has changed in either 1Password or its extension in that time frame. I think you're misunderstanding about Firefox 57. It will allow extensions, but they'll need to be using the newer WebExtensions standard at that time (roughly the end of this year), which we've been working on support for already. Somewhat related to that is Edge support and Native Messaging, which are other things we're working on in this area. 1Password 6 supports Native Messaging in Chrome already, and the benefit of that is it allows 1Password to communicate directly with the browser extension, eliminating interference from 3rd part software. 1Password simply cannot function in your browser if something is actively blocking it from talking to the extension.

• BobArch2
    BobArch2
    Community Member

@brenty thanks for the clarification regarding extensions and Firefox 57.

However, updating to Firefox 53 yesterday morning is what caused the ugly beast to raise its head again. :-) trying to manually load Firefox extensions 4.6.1 or 4.6.2 or 4.6.3 or 4.6.4 in the ESET protected Firefox browser states that the extensions are corrupt and it ceases to operate. Looking at the ESET protected Firefox browser add-on states that the existing extension of 4.6.1 has been disabled because it is not compatible.

• MikeT
    edited April 2017

Hi @BobArch2,

Everything has been working since a similar problem was first raised October 2016 and resolved.

Except we didn't do anything to resolve this in the first place. We have added a major security feature to how we authenticate our 1Password extensions in the 4.6.x series of 1Password extension and the 1Password 4.6.1.616 update back in October and after that, we haven't changed anything. So, if you said it was resolved since then, it is not likely us.

We know of the same problem with other anti-malware solutions such as Kaspersky's Safe Money, they have an identical sandboxing method and it blocks 1Password from working. We tried but there was nothing we can do to make it work.

The best place to get this fixed is what you did before; talk to ESET's support team, which we've also done a few times in the past. However, they prefer to hear from their customers, not from us. Please reach out to ESET and ask them for the best solution to get the latest version of 1Password and Firefox working. We'd be happy to work with them if they want.

And as I previously reported to you good folks a few weeks back, a future version of Firefox (v57) will no longer allow extensions. Perhaps there will be some exceptions but I am not privy to that knowledge.

Mozilla will drop support for JetPack SDK-based extensions only, they're moving to WebExtensions. We're working on it and we'll announce more details later when we have something to share.

• MikeT
    edited April 2017

Hi @BobArch2,

It looks like we've merged two separate threads and there's a bit of mix up with replies here.

However, updating to Firefox 53 yesterday morning is what caused the ugly beast to raise its head again. :-) trying to manually load Firefox extensions 4.6.1 or 4.6.2 or 4.6.3 or 4.6.4 in the ESET protected Firefox browser states that the extensions are corrupt and it ceases to operate.

And as you said, it works fine in the normal mode. The fact that the same code now suddenly is "corrupted" as soon as you turn on ESET should tell you that ESET is the one "corrupting" it.

4.6.x series of 1Password extension has additional encryption libraries, they're more secure than the previous versions. ESET may be reacting to the said libraries and preventing the installation. This is not the first or last time we've seen this, a few other AVs did the same thing. That's why we had you do the certificate thing, it was supposed to resolve the so-called corruption issue.

However, you have to get in touch with ESET and ask them to test the latest extension to see if they can whitelist 1Password.

• BobArch2
    BobArch2
    Community Member

@brenty and @MikeT

Good afternoon gents. I posted the issue on the ESET user forum yesterday. The forum is moderated by a few ESET knowledgeable staff members. After 24 hours, no response. Today, Saturday, April 22, 2017 I sent a direct request to ESET Customer Support. I will keep you informed when I hear something.

• Thanks and good afternoon to you as well.

• BobArch2
    BobArch2
    Community Member

@MikeT ,

Heard back from ESET Customer Support this morning. They suggested uninstalling my current version of EST Smart Security (v10.0.390) and performing a clean install of the current version - 10.1.204. I did and the problem still exists. I have reported back to ESET Customer Support. Will keep you informed on any progress.

Cheers,

Bob

P.S. And yes, I did add the CloudFront.net item back in the new version of ESS.

• BobArch2
    BobArch2
    Community Member

@MikeT and @brenty

Hi Mike and Brenty,

I just received another update from ESET Customer Support. I cannot believe their response. I will respond to their reply with some strong comments. I would like to c.c. you folks on my reply to ESET. I would rather not post such comments on this forum. Can you provide me with your email address in a PM?

Regards,

Bob

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BobArch2: I agree that would be best, in case there's anything we can clarify if there's some confusion about 1Password's function. Please use the email address support+windows@agilebits.com (so it will be directed to our Windows team) and post the Support ID you receive in response here so we can take a look and see if there's something we can do to help.

• BobArch2
    BobArch2
    Community Member

@brenty:

Message sent to ESET Customer Support and c.c.'d to support+windows@agilebits. I took my time in responding to ESET as I wanted to cool down! :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BobArch2: Not a bad idea! I'm afraid I'm not seeing anything in our system under this address though. If you'll post the Support ID you received from BitBot, we can take a look and get back to you more quickly. Thanks in advance! :)

• BobArch2
    BobArch2
    Community Member

@brenty
    Does this help... s [#TLF-75575-299]

Excuse the added characters. Copy-paste on the iPad can be dicey

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BobArch2: Works for me! We'll take a look to see if there's some way we can assist and get back to you shortly. :)

ref: TLF-75575-299

• BobArch2
    BobArch2
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

@brenty

Good afternoon Brenty! No reply yet from ESET other than what has already been reported to you.

On a different note, I decided to mix apples and oranges. Namely, move away from Firefox and set Chrome as my default browser and loaded the 1Password provided Chrome browser extension 4.6.4.90. So far no problems visiting "regular" sites with the browser extension. Then tried the ESET Banking & Payment Protection browser feature and tried loading the 1Password browser extension in that app. Similar problem as reported with the Firefox browser extension. Again ESET no like you folks! I'll report this new finding to ESET Customer Support.

Update: I have sent the information to ESET with a c.c. to support+windows@agilebits.com. AgileBits Support ID: XNP-92195-348

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BobArch2: Thanks for the update. That's really interesting. It seems to suggest that the Firefox 53 update may not have actually played a role if the same happens in Chrome. Perhaps the timing was just coincidental — or ESET also released an update to coincide with it. It really seems like they just need to not block the 1Password extension. We've merged the tickets to keep the conversation all in one place, and we'll see what we can do to work with them once we hear back. Cheers! :)

ref: TLF-75575-299

• BobArch2
    BobArch2
    Community Member

Good afternoon good folks. Just an update on using 1Password and ESET Smart Security (v10.1.210) Banking Payment and Protection feature. Still no go. Back at the end of April (2017) I turned off ESET's BPP feature in total frustration. Today I decided to turn the BPP feature back on to see what may be current.

Background:

O/S: Windows 10 Pro Creators Update v1703 Build 15063.413

Browsers tested:

Chrome v59.0.3071.115 1Password extension: 4.6.7.90

Firefox v54.0.1 1Password extension 4.6.7

Internet Explorer v11.413.15063.0 1Password extension 4.6.1.620(20)

Results:

In Chrome: The ESET BPP secured browser is displayed for Royal Bank of Canada and 1 Password does not fill in required attributes. For another bank, CIBC the ESET BPP secured browser is not loaded.

In Firefox: Same result as in Chrome when trying to link to RBC. When trying to ling to CIBC the ESET BPP secured browser is loaded (unlike in Chrome).

In Internet Explorer: Same result as shown above for the Firefox testing.

Summary: I give up and have turned off ESET's BPP.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BobArch2: Thanks for following up. I'm sorry that there isn't an easy way to make BPP allow 1Password to fill your login credentials, but it's good to hear that you've been able to use 1Password and ESET without it in the intervening months.

I admit that I don't fully understand what BPP is doing here, so take this with a grain of salt, but we're working on a new version of 1Password 4 with support for NativeMessaging. This should be available in the stable channel relatively soon, and will work with the Chrome extension right off the bat. The Firefox extension will be updated to support this as well, but that will come later (I don't know when that will be, but certainly by this November as it will be required then).

Once you get the 1Password 4 update, try it with Chrome and see if that makes a difference at all. So again, I'm not confident that this will make a difference for you, but it's at least worth trying when the time comes. :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BobArch2: Actually, it was released like an hour after my last post. :lol:

• BobArch2
    BobArch2
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for the comments. I updated 1Password to v4.6.2.624. I had to uninstall the older version first as the new install attempt said that 1Password was open... it wasn't. After the reboot, I checked that each of the three browser had current 1Password extensions. They were with one slight glitch. When in IE11 I went to check the extension and it thought I was in Safari.

I then rebooted the system and repeated the testing for all three browsers as indicated above. Exact same results as shown in the July 6th message above.

I will now turn off BPP in ESET Smart Security and return to normal life. :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, alright. I really appreciate you letting me know. :(

Just to clarify, Internet Explorer is very different from the modern browsers, so it can't have an extension installed the same way from our website. 1Password 4 installs an add-on for it (this is what requires admin rights) when you install or update it. If you're having issues with IE let us know!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BobArch2: I made a mistake. To be able to use NativeMessaging with Chrome and 1Password 4.6.2.624 you'll need to enable it under Help > Advanced > Use Native Messaging Protocol. I apologize for failing to mention that earlier. :(

• BobArch2
    BobArch2
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Time for an update.

ESET Smart Security is being retired in favour of using ESET Internet Security which has more features. Current version of EIS is 11.0.144.0.

In a Windows 10 Pro environment (Fall Creators Update (v1709), the 1Password 4 extension (4.6.12.90) is accepted in the Chrome browser (v61.0.3163.100) and functions without any hitches.

However, the ESET Banking and Payment Protection feature in Chrome will not allow the 1Password 4 extension to be added. the error message reads "Package is invalid" 'CRX_FILE_NOT_readable'.

Summary: Have turned off BPP in ESET.

• @BobArch2: I'm sorry you're still having problems with it and thanks for letting us know! We definitely wish anti-malware solutions would play nicer with 1Password -- don't they know we're on the same side? Either way, we do appreciate your updates. It's always helpful to know the state of these things, even if things aren't working as we'd like. Thanks. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.