I have a New iPad, I have a stand alone license. The 1PASSWORD app wants a secret key. Please help.

DarrellU
DarrellU
Community Member

I have a New iPad, I have a stand alone license. The 1PASSWORD app wants a secret key. Please help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I have a New iPad, I have a stand alone license. The 1PASSWORD app wants a secret key. Please help.

Comments

• DarrellU
    DarrellU
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

Very disappointed with support.
    I have a new iPad, 1Password on my new iPad is asking for a secret key. Why can't I just login as usual with my master password?
    My license is a stand alone version 6 on my old iPad syncing with Dropbox.
    What do I do? getting very ticked by all this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DarrellU: Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry that we weren't able to get back to you immediately! We try to respond to messages in the order in which they're received. I think that's fair, but it does mean waiting if there are others "in line" before you. :(

I apologize for the confusion here! It sounds like you may be trying to login with an account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have an Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account you can sync your data from another device or create a new vault.

And keep in mind that if you've purchased a different version of the 1Password app, it won't be valid for all of the others. But you can continue using the standalone version you've paid for for as long as you wish. However, you may want to consider a 1Password subscription, since it will give you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

1Password.com

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• DarrellU
    DarrellU
    Community Member

I'm ok with purchasing a subscription. I have several devices. 2 iPads 2 iPods 1 iMac 1 MacBook Air.
    How do I get everything to work using a subscription account and maintain all my old passwords?

• DarrellU
    DarrellU
    Community Member

How do I move everything to my new iPad? Do I purchase a subscription service on my new iPad or do I purchase a subscription on my old iPad and the re-add all the devices?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DarrellU: The best thing to do would be to start on the device where you've been using 1Password already, which it sounds like is the old iPad, and backup your 1Password data.

Then, after you sign up for a 1Password.com membership, you can migrate your data there.

Once all your data is in your 1Password.com account (you can confirm this easily by signing in to the website), setup your other devices with your 1Password.com account and they'll be able to access your data just as easily. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• DarrellU
    DarrellU
    Community Member

Ok bought a subscription. Have it running on 2 iPads 2 iPods and my iMac.
    What do I do with Dropbox sync.. does this continue? Or is Dropbox sync not necessary now?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DarrellU,

If you're using a 1Password.com account now, you no longer need to use Dropbox to sync your 1Password data, because the data in your account automatically syncs through our own servers.

Have you moved all your items from the old Primary vault to your new Personal (or Private) account vault? Please check each vault to confirm where your data is stored. In 1Password for Mac, you can use the vault switcher in the top left corner of the main app window. In 1Password for iOS, you can tap the vault icon in the top left corner of the Settings or Categories section. If all your items are now in your new account vault, you can delete the Primary vault (if you haven't already done so).

• DarrellU
    DarrellU
    Community Member

Thank you both for your thoughtful comments. This clears up a lot of confusion for me.

• You're very welcome. :) As Drew mentioned if you haven't already deleted your Primary vault I'd recommend doing so after you've verified there is no information in it that hasn't been migrated.

If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.