Recognise different ports for local development

Options
AlecRust
AlecRust
Community Member

I use Docker to spin up different dev environments for websites at URLs like http://localhost:9575/, http://localhost:6911/. I have these different dev environment credentials stored in 1Password.

Currently 1Password recognises these all as the same domain (which they are) and displays all the 1Password entries for http://localhost/ when I login to one of the sites.

It would be nice if 1Password could match against the port number as well, so only the one 1Password entry necessary for that local development environment was displayed in the extension when filling a login.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AlecRust: That's certainly something we can consider adding in a future version of 1Password. Thanks for letting us know that port matching would help you with your workflow! :)

• instanttim
    instanttim
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

+1! i found quite a few threads for this one. One in which an employee said there was a feature request tracking this. (i think he said FR-56)

found it! https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/35577/respect-port-numbers-in-url-matching

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks! I think this specific request is pretty niche and would only help a very limited number of 1Password users. But we're more interested in making 1Password's URL matching/handling more robust, which could help with other use cases as well. :)

• Moritz_
    Moritz_
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I understand that the general usage for 1Password is meant for “normal” users. But your very techsavy userbase is not that small either. Especially now that you have 1Password for Teams this requested functionality for dev or OPS teams would be quite a killer functionality.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Moritz_: Indeed, but just because someone is tech savvy doesn't mean they care about port matching. Like I said, first and foremost we need to focus on core improvements to login filling since, tech savvy or not, that's something nearly every 1Password user benefits from. This just isn't something we can work on right now, but we'll keep it in mind as we develop future versions, and we'll see if there's more interest over time. Cheers! :)

• Moritz_
    Moritz_
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Well yes as one doesn't have to go with the other, there are people like me and the person that started this thread - and I bet you get this request through other channels as well - that this would be a nice thing to have. I do agree with you that the login filling in general has to work for all users reliable and I don't think anybody is arguing with you about that.

I know that you are not saying that due to the more niche request this isn't something you are not ever considerung but this is just on the lower end of the list for things that need to be done. I totally trust you guys to do the right thing :chuffed:

Let's say in 6 months I will revisit this thread and ask for an update on wether you guys have revisited this feature request and if it has made it into any triage meetings ;-) How does that sound?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Moritz_,

Although I've personally only seen this feature requested once or twice before, I'm sure we've probably heard about it from some others as well. So don't worry, we're definitely aware that there are customers who are interested in this. It's not a very popular request, but I hope we haven't given you the wrong impression - we aren't saying this will never happen, but we also can't promise that it will. We receive many different feature requests every day, and unfortunately we can't add them all. The decision about what features to add is based largely (though not entirely) on which ones are requested the most and/or which ones will be helpful for most customers. There are certainly other factors as well, so even if this particular request isn't high on our developers' list of priorities, that doesn't necessarily mean we'll never add it, but we don't want to give you any false expectations about that.

Let's say in 6 months I will revisit this thread and ask for an update on wether you guys have revisited this feature request and if it has made it into any triage meetings ;-) How does that sound?

You're more than welcome to check in and ask, and we'll be happy to reply! :) But please keep in mind that we may not have anything new to tell you. Even if our developers have decided to work on this by then, we don't typically comment on unreleased features or product changes until they're available and ready to use (at least in a public beta), as there are too many factors that could affect implementation and we don't want to promise something we can't deliver.

Thank you very much for your feedback about this - we truly appreciate it! If you have more questions or need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.