I unknowingly imported multiple copies to my vault with an Export of All Items

Tim100
Tim100
Community Member

Greetings.

I was looking to create a PDF of my Passwords. So I went to File, Export, All Items. This created something which I didn't recognize...so I should have stopped. I didn't I found a file...I think the extension was ".pif" I know this is a copy of everything...because I now have three of everything in my 1 Password. Three logins for Amazon, three for Fidelity, three for each of my credit cards.

It appears that I have inadvertently populated the main 1 PW bucket...I think you call it the Primary Vault with two additional copies. They have been assigned a tag of: 1pif-import-4/26/17.

Obviously I'd like to remove the two extra copies. Is there a best way to do that?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:need help with a back-up

Comments

• Tim100
    Tim100
    Community Member

1 PW Version is:

1Password 6
    Version 6.7 (670007)
    AgileBits Store

OS Version: macOS Sierra Version 10.12.4

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Tim100,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! After you exported your data to a .1pif file, it sounds like you imported that file back into 1Password (twice). Each time you imported that file, it added new copies of all the items from that file to your vault. That's why you now have 3 copies of each item.

But don't worry, it's very easy to get rid of those extra copies! Because the imported items were given a tag, you can select that tag in 1Password and delete all the imported copies from there:

1. Open & unlock the main 1Password app.
    2. If you have multiple vaults in 1Password, click the vault switcher in the top left corner and choose Primary.
    3. Select the "1pif-import-4/26/17" tag in the left sidebar.
    4. Right-click on any item in the item list and choose Select All.
    5. Go to Item > Move to Trash in the menu bar.

Now you should have only one copy of each item in your vault (click on All Items in the sidebar to confirm that). If you no longer need the exported .1pif file, make sure you delete it because it contains an unencrypted copy of your data.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any trouble with that, or if you have more questions. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.