Windows 10 Creators Edition and Edge Browser Support [In Progress]

alien2000a
alien2000a
Community Member
edited April 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

Windows 10 and Edge started to support browser extensions with the latest Creators Edition Update. Does this mean that we can finally get Edge support for 1Password?

1Password Version: 4.6.1.620
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Creators Edition
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @alien2000a,

We are working on an Edge extension at the moment however we don't have something ready that we can release just yet and I don't have any timeline to share on when it will be ready. When we release something major like you'll be sure to hear about it if you keep an eye on our AgileBits blog which is here:

https://blog.agilebits.com/

You can also subscribe the our newsletter on that page to hear about things as soon as they're fully publicly released.

We also have Beta versions of our 1Password apps which you may be interested in. Users like yourself who are very interested in the specific features that haven't been released yet will be able to get your hands on early releases of 1Password before they go fully public. Bear in mind that while you get an early version of the app, it won't be as polished as a fully released version.

If the Beta version sounds interesting to you, I would recommend checking out the following link to the Beta section of our Forum. At the top are announcement posts and if you check back here every now and again there will be shiny new features announced there. This would be the very first place to hear about .

https://discussions.agilebits.com/categories/windows-beta

I hope that helps. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey again @alien2000a,

I also just noticed that you're using version 4 of 1Password and I'd just like to clarify that Edge support will only be available in 1Password for Windows version 6. You would need to upgrade to a 1Password Membership in order to take advantage of the latest features in 1Password 6 and Edge support in the future.

I hope that helps. Please let us know if you've any questions.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• alien2000a
    alien2000a
    Community Member

Many thanks for the answer and insight about the beta testing. I'm beta testing few others and will gladly look into it. However having to subscribe to a membership just to be able to use a browser extension sounds ridiculous. I purchased the pro version and I don't use cloud to keep my private data so why would I need a membership just to use edge browser add-on. There are other password managers already supported there from day one and you can get them with one-off purchase. This is not clever marketing in my honest opinion. This is a Chartered Marketer and Customer Experience Expert's point of view by the way.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@alien2000a: This isn't marketing. Indeed, other products have Edge extensions because they store data in the browser. 1Password doesn't work that way, so we need APIs that allow our extension to talk to the 1Password app, which is what has the data. Similarly, we've built a brand new Windows app because it wasn't possible to retrofit 1Password 4 with Microsoft's newest technologies, which it turns out are also necessary for UWP, which in turn is necessary for a desktop app to integrate with Edge. So completely separate from the 1Password.com service, it isn't possible for 1Password 4 to support this with its older codebase. And given our focus on the work that needs to be done on the new app, and the fact that 1Password 4 is already feature-complete and mature, 1Password 4 is no longer under active development and would not be receiving new features anyway, even were it possible. It also isn't feasible for us to do the kind of work necessary to support Edge for free. I'm sorry that this isn't the news you were hoping for, but hopefully that clears up the confusion at least.

• greenscreen172
    greenscreen172
    Community Member

This sucks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

While I'm sorry that you feel that way, we'll keep working to advance 1Password and appreciate any constructive feedback you might have. Enjoy your weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.