One password account iOS

SamFrommy
SamFrommy
Community Member
edited April 2017 in iOS

I deleted 1 password from my iPad (long story) but it had been working fine, as a stand-alone app, not the subscription program. But when I went to download it again from the iTunes store, I ran into problems: When I opened it, the only way I could see to activate it was with a 1-password subscription account. There was no other option to get it to work. And I don't have a subscription.

I have been using the stand alone version fine with my mac and mobile apps, syncing via iCloud. I don't see, at the moment, a compelling reason to get the subscription. IE, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

But not being able to load the app was frustrating. Instead of signing up for the subscription, here's what I ended up doing:

1. Reset the ipad (Erased all content and settings).
  2. Restored the ipad from an icloud backup, which included 1password and its data BEFORE I had deleted it.

The result: 1password (the current version in iOS 6.5.4 with pro features) worked once again.

But I'm curious that this is the only solution I came up with, which is obviously clunky. But I saw no other way to use the iOS as a stand alone app. If anyone has come up with another solution, I would be interested to find out.

Agilebits seems to be walking a not very fine line: they obviously want people to subscribe to the pay-per-month plan but aren't (fully) getting rid of the stand alone version. However, they are making the stand-alone app difficult as heck to keep using, as this case shows. In the past it was seamless.

Sam

1Password Version: iOS 6.5.4 Pro version
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.3.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SamFrommy,

I'm sorry you had trouble trying to set up the 1Password app again after deleting and reinstalling it! On the setup screen of 1Password for iOS, the options to sign up for or sign into a 1Password.com account are listed first, but you should be able to see the other options (including iCloud) if you scroll down.

Since you've already restored the entire iPad from a backup to get 1Password back to its previous state, it's probably not worth deleting & reinstalling it again to see what I mean, but hopefully that will help if you need to do that again for some reason. Please let us know if you have more questions or need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

• SamFrommy
    SamFrommy
    Community Member

Wow! If that's the case, I stand corrected. But for the life of me, as I looked at the app, I did not see any other options for signing in other than a 1password account. Thanks,

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! And I'm sorry if that wasn't clearer on the initial setup screen. Hopefully we can make that a bit more obvious in the future. :)

This discussion has been closed.