1Password needs to be smarter about prompting to save logins.

Is it not feasible for 1Password to recognize that I have already saved a password for a site and not show a modal prompt to save it again on login? It would also be nice if 1Password was smarter about updating passwords from a "change password" form. It sometimes prompts to save with an update option, but the update option is hidden in a droplist. Why isn't it just another button?

1Password Version: 4.6.1.620 (20)
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90 (Google Chrome)
OS Version: 6.2.9200
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1password prompt

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Poindexter,

Thanks for writing in and sorry about the prompt appearing like that. 1Password shouldn't prompt to Autosave a new Login item if you already have a Login item for that website in your 1Password vault with the same password that is used on the web page.

Does this happen on many web pages for you or just one in particular?

It would be great if you could provide a link to an example web page where you've noticed this happening. Then I can give it a try to see if I can reproduce the behaviour.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• Poindexter
    Poindexter
    Community Member

Hey @matthew_ag,

It seemed like it was happening everywhere, but now I think it is happening for sites where Chrome is saving my credentials. If I enter the credentials by hand, 1Password seems to ignore the login.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017

Hey @Poindexter,

Thanks for your reply. I would highly recommend disabling Chrome's built in password manager as it can conflict with 1Password since they're both trying to do the same job. Hopefully that will help prevent the prompts from appearing.

Please let me know how that goes.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• Wilhelm
    Wilhelm
    Community Member

Thanks for that tip, @matthew_ag
    I was wondering if it would be possible to have a setting to ignore the prompt on certain pages altogether. Some pages seem to trigger the prompt at almost every click of a button - this is highly disruptive, so it makes sense to have a button to 'suppress prompts on this page'. (The one that especially comes to mind is INGdirect.com, but I've seen it on many others, and in reality, sometimes I'd like to manage it myself... :)
    Thanks!
    Wilhelm

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Wilhelm,

1Password can be instructed to not ask to save for domains, would that be something that is useful? The next time you are prompted to save a Login item please click on the cog icon in the lower left hand corner of the dialog. You should find a small menu with a single option is available and the option is titled Never Autosave for this Site. Going forward 1Password should not ask you if you want to save a new Login item for this site. If you ever need to edit the ignore list you will find it in the Browsers tab of 1Password's preferences. Does this help at all?

• Wilhelm
    Wilhelm
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables you're a star! Thank you very much - I'm sure that's exactly what I've been after. (Apologies for my ignorance!)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hey, we're plenty ignorant ourselves, depending on the context! :lol:

Anyway, always good to have a learning opportunity. I'm sorry that this feature is a bit hidden, but we don't want people disabling it unknowingly and causing themselves the opposite problem.

It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

• Wilhelm
    Wilhelm
    Community Member

Thanks, @brenty and @littlebobbytables . Now I'm starting to feel pretty silly. Your explanation(s) made perfect sense, but when next I got the pop-up, I couldn't find the setting cog anywhere. I've attached a pic of the screen - would you be able to point me in the right direction, please? Thanks in advance!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Wilhelm,

I apologise, your feeling of silliness is completely my fault. My answer was based on the mistake of assuming 1Password for Mac while your screenshots clearly indicate 1Password 6 for Windows.

1Password 6 for Windows does have a domain ignore list but it seems to be manual for the moment. If you enter 1Password's options and then switch to the Browsers tab you will find a text box in the Autosave section. If you add the domains as they are being displayed in those dialogs i.e. type ingdirect.com.au without any http://www or https://www you should find 1Password 6 for Windows will stop asking.

Please do let us know if this helps or if you're still having trouble. I would be very surprised if a future update to 1Password 6 for Windows doesn't have the ability to ignore a domain from that dialog. It's a case of this version of 1Password still being sufficiently new enough that there are so many features to implement. The team is doing a great job of improving 1Password though so every update is a surprise in what they've managed to add :smile:

• Wilhelm
    Wilhelm
    Community Member

Excellent - thanks, @littlebobbytables . That makes sense. I'll check it out and let you know if it doesn't make the world spin for me. Thanks a lot - looking forward to all the new stuff to come! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.