Looking for Safari users willing to help test a new beta [stable version 4.6.5 is available now]

littlebobbytables
littlebobbytables
1Password Alumni
edited May 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

As many of you are aware, something just isn't quite right with the current 1Password Safari extension (version 4.6.4). We know that if you like to hide the 1Password button in the Safari toolbar that this would stop the extension working but there's also a more widespread issue where the extension does not seem to work after a restart of Safari or even the Mac.

We feel confident we've corrected the issue for those that like to hide the button but we've yet to reproduce the more disruptive issue of the extension failing after a restart. There is a small change in the latest beta, 4.6.5.b3 that may help but we just simply don't know. To this end we're looking for people willing to help test the new beta and see if there is any improvement.

We are especially interested in people who found they had to uninstall and reinstall the stable extension after a restart.

If you are willing to help us here are the steps to do so.

1. Launch Safari.
  2. Enter Safari's preferences and switch to the Extensions tab.
  3. Uninstall any existing copy of the 1Password Safari Extension.
  4. Restart Safari.
  5. Install version 4.6.5.b3 of the 1Password Safari Extension.
  6. When asked, click the Trust button.

Use 1Password and your Mac as you normally would and please let us know if you see any improvement after a restart that in the last few days would have forced you to uninstall and re-install to get things working again.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

If anybody does test and find the beta extension does not help then the steps outlined in our announcement, 1Password Safari Extension 4.6.4 not working will allow you to revert to 4.6.3 and return to a functioning version while we work on this.

Ideally, before you so can you let us know whether the 1Password Safari extension button appears dimmed at all like this:

in contrast to what it should normally look like which is

• amjbrown
    amjbrown
    Community Member

...testing it now...

If I select sleep from the Apple icon, on wake it is fine, and 1Password mini asks for a passcode again as you would hope. You probably know that though!

• patnanna
    patnanna
    Community Member

Two shutdown/restarts and all is fine.

I don't leave the 1pw icon in the Safari toolbar because it seems redundant/unnecessary with one in the Menubar, so I put it back after the previous two restarts. So far, it looks fine, but I'll keep watching!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Great! Thanks for your willingness to participate in the beta. Hopefully this will help others as well. :)

• patnanna
    patnanna
    Community Member

New day, I believe final test.

This Mac auto-shuts down at night, and auto-restarts every morning. Don't know the differences between auto/manual shutdowns, if any, but this is the state that I encounter daily. I'm happy to report that all appears to be working and I logged right into this page with option-.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Thanks so much for the update, @patnanna! We'll be pushing this update out as soon as possible to other Safari users. :)

• fladnag
    fladnag
    Community Member

The new beta seems to have solved the no-response problem for safari button mini start. Reboot and sleep... the password system now works again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know. We're here if you need anything else. :)

• kpclements
    kpclements
    Community Member

Having this issue as well. Downloaded the Beta and will give it a go. Will report my findings. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kpclements: Thanks! 4.6.5 stable is available now with a fix for this, so be sure to let us know if you encounter any further issues. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.