Having trouble installing 1Password extension 4.6.5 in Safari

This discussion was created from comments split from: Safari extension stopped working and won't install.

Comments

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member

I have the same problem: different behaviors on two machines - each running Safari 10.1 on 10.12: one one I was able to get 4.6.5 to install first time; on the other it just won't progress beyond the 'Trust' dialogue box. And 4.6.5 does not install - na matter which method I try to get it into the Gallery, after restarts and checking that my Extensions settings are all as per the guidelines.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Mark Sealey,

Sorry about the trouble getting the version 4.6.5 installed. Just to understand this initally:

• When it fails to get passed the "Trust" part of the installation do you see an error of any kind appear?
    • If you view your Safari > Preferences > Extensions screen, do you have any 1Password extensions installed already?

If so, try uninstalling that first and then trying to download and install from our extensions website.

Hopefully we can help get this sorted our soon.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member

Thanks, Matthew - it's odd. When I found the instructions yesterday, I was able to get 4.6.5 right away on my 'work' Mac Pro.

At home - no 1P Extensions installed at all (now).

No error messages. I (single-)click 'Trust'. Nothing happens.

Have tried restarting Mini, Safari and the iMac (at home).

Yes, it's the 4.6.5 Extension from that URL. Have tried maybe 10 times with various techniques… d/clicking on it in the Downloads folder, dragging to the Extensions screen etc.

'Trust' (window) disappears. Nothing else in the Window!

Odd, isn't it; thanks :-)

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey again @Mark Sealey,

Sorry for the delay, I have a suspicion that it's related to permissions in one of Safari's folders that might be set to the wrong value. I can check this for you if you can send me in a Diagnostics Report for your home iMac. The following guide will show you how to create a Diagnostics Report:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Matthew

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member

Thanks, Matthew - will do… tonight.

I think I'll first look at the permissions for ~/Library/Safari/Extensions

Here at work they're 644 for my Admin account; is that correct?

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey again @Mark Sealey,

When I change the permissions for my ~/Library/Safari/Extensions folder to 644 and try to install the extension I get the prompt to "Trust" and when I click "Trust" I get a popup saying the "an error occurred while installing the extension '1Password'".

Enabling the user execute permission (744) enables Safari to install the extension in my case. Maybe try changing it to that and see if it helps?

Looking forward to hearing back.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member

Matthew,

Thanks - I actually get no error. Nothing happens.

And BTW I've not changed the folder before… what's more, in desperation (well, almost… you know what I mean!), I reverted to 4.6.4 yesterday and that installed just fine; is there a difference in permissions required? Surely not.

Yes, I'll try setting the Execute bit (744) in a few hours and try again.

If it works, I'll post here. If not, I'll follow the Troubleshooting procedure you kindly suggest :-)

Appreciated.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @Mark Sealey,

I appreciate the detail you've provided - understanding the the behaviour you're seeing is key. Safari is certainly a mysterious beast at times. We will tame it for sure. :+1:

Matthew

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member

Thanks. By the looks of it, unless I get lucky with the perms on that folder, please expect a reply here tying the Troubleshooting file I'll have sent later today :-)

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member

Matthew,

I played around with permissions for a while. Still no go. So I reverted to 4.6.4 from here.

The Support ID number is #TJV-83253-192

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mark Sealey: Thanks, Mark. We'll take a look and get this sorted out for you!

ref: TJV-83253-192

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member

Wonderful - thanks so much, Brenty! It must be an unusually busy time for you?

Just to be clear, I have gone through the operations several (a dozen?) times; I'm 100% sure I'm following orders :-)

4.6.4 does install (though doesn't work) from here. Every time.

But no procedure gets past the 'Trust' dialogue (no error(s)) with any method for 4.6.5.

Good luck… your usual helpful approach much appreciated!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Mark Sealey,

4.6.5 of the 1Password Safari Extension is now thankfully available from Apple's Safari Extension Gallery. Can you try the steps outlined in 1Password Safari Extension 4.6.4 not working [4.6.5 now available!] please which have been altered to account for 4.6.5 being available in the Safari Extension Gallery. My hope is as this doesn't require clicking on a trust button it should sidestep the issue.

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member

Thanks so much, littlebobbytables!

That worked perfectly; have you identified the problem?

Would it be a good idea for me to work with the new and successfully-installed 4.6.5 for a while just to see if the faults are gone?

Much appreciated!

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Mark Sealey,

We have investigated this a little bit more, a colleague of mine was able to reproduce the issue you faced. In his case when he clicked on the Trust button the Safari Extension Preferences dialog would go away and nothing else would happen, matching your experience. From a little Googling I discovered that using the keyboard to click that button would work better and my colleague confirmed it worked for him.

If you wanted to try it out yourself you can uninstall the extension you got from the Safari Extension Gallery temporarily, try installing it from our website, use the technique in that link above and see if this would have solved it for you too.

It appears that issue with clicking the "Trust" button was introduced as part of the Mac OS X 10.11.1 Security Content, CVE-2015-5943 specifically where a fix was added to Mac OS X to disable synthetic clicks however there's likely something else at play also here since I haven't been able to reproduce this and it would have been a much bigger issue had it affected everyone on 10.11.1.

Thanks & regards,
    Matthew

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member

Matthew - thanks yet again for being so proactive and helpful here. I do hope my (and your) experiences may help you and other users too… I keep a very clean setup and suspect there's nothing non-standard about my_ 1P_/Safari environment.

So far 4.6.5 installed through the Gallery seems to be working.

May I keep trying and assume it'll now work; and only report back again here if the problem re-appears?

Thanks again!

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Mark Sealey,

You're most welcome - I'm glad things are back working for you and we learned a little bit in the process :)

May I keep trying and assume it'll now work; and only report back again here if the problem re-appears?

That sounds good to me - as always if you ever need anything else, please don't hesitate to write again. We're always here to help.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member

Yes; thanks! Have a wonderful weekend, both of you :-)

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Thanks Mark, you too! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.