SSL error when trying to sign into account from iOS app

Comments

• geriseib
    geriseib
    Community Member

I just purchased the Family Plan, and downloaded the 1Password iPhone app. While trying to sign in to the app, I enter all my information and hit "sign in", and it gives me the message: "An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made." I also must solve this issue or cancel my subscription. Please help as soon as possible.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @geriseib,

I'm sorry you're having trouble signing into your account in 1Password for iOS! You posted your message in a thread on our Mac forum, but since the problem is happening on your iPhone, I've moved your post to our iOS forum so the right people will see it and be able to help.

Yesterday we performed some maintenance on 1Password.com, so the database was offline for a short period of time. I don't know if that could have been the cause of the problem, but have you tried again today to sign into your account from the iOS version of 1Password? If so, do you get the same error, or does something different happen?

If you're still unable to sign in on your iPhone, have you tried signing into the app on another device or platform? If so, did that work or do you also get an error there?

• geriseib
    geriseib
    Community Member

Still the same problem today. Just tried and still get the same message. I don't know if I can find the thread on the iOS platform, but I go a hunting.

• geriseib
    geriseib
    Community Member

Okay it's already there. This IS the iOS forum. Okay. . please someone help me. I cannot use this program unless I can find a solution to this problem.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2017

Hi @geriseib,

Are you using WiFi? If so could you please try signing in over the cellular connection instead? Also are you using a VPN or proxy server? Either could potentially cause this issue.

I apologize for the inconvenience. It may take a little troubleshooing back and forth to get this straightended out. We appreciate your patience with our questions.

Ben

• geriseib
    geriseib
    Community Member

I have already tried logging on outside our wifi connection and received the same message. Is there anything else i can try?

• Can you please make sure the time and timezone on your device are accurate? You can check these settings in the Settings app under General > Date & Time.

Additionally please make sure you are running the latest non-jailbroken version of iOS, and that your copy of 1Password is also up to date.

Ben

• geriseib
    geriseib
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

Date and time are accurate. Updated my software just in case. Still get the message. What next?

• geriseib
    geriseib
    Community Member

Just downloaded 1password yesterday. So i would think that you would have the most current version in the itunes app store?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@geriseib: Unfortunately we don't have any insight into your setup or why SSL might be broken for you. We can only try to make suggestions to get you pointed in the right direction. As Ben mentioned, the date/time being off on your device or network will prevent a secure connection from being established (and 1Password.com will rightly reject the connection if insecure), but there are any number of other causes as well. Are you able to login on another device? That may help narrow things down. Do you perhaps have "security" or router/VPN setup which is interfering? The fact that it's the same with both Wi-Fi and cellular though does point to it being something with your device. I'd suggest manually setting your date/time temporarily just to be sure, as these aren't always synchronized perfectly or in a timely fashion. Let me know what you find!

• geriseib
    geriseib
    Community Member

No security / vpn issue. Date and time are correct. If i cannot solve it, i need to get my money back because thats the whole reason you buy the program is for portability and sharability. Yes i can log in on my computer in my office where i set up the original seat, which place has a firewall and strict security. Are there any settings within an iphone 6S that affect this?

• geriseib
    geriseib
    Community Member

What IS SSL?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is a cryptographic protocol that provides communications security over a computer network.

For more see the Wikipedia entry on Transport Layer Security.

• geriseib
    geriseib
    Community Member

Hey Brenty, thanks for your help. I am able to log in on my computer but not on my iPhone. My computer is in my office with wifi and a very secure firewall, and I can still get on there. I have tried logging on on my iPhone in many different locations and it still gives me the same error message. ARe there any settings for SSL that need to be changed? I do not understand all the settings in there. ARe OTHER people able to get on with their iPhones 6s? If so, there has to be a setting that needs to be changed. My date and time are set to 'set automatically'. That should keep things pretty current shouldn't it? I am assuming that would mean that the phone is pulling that info from a satellite. Nevertheless, I just went in and put it in there manually and it still delivers the same message.

• geriseib
    geriseib
    Community Member

For some odd reason, TODAY, it worked. I am at my office. I turned off wifi on my phone, and entered everything like I usually do. I have done nothing different than what I did yesterday. Yesterday, I was at home, and after resetting everything as you directed, it did not work. Today, here at the office, it did. That's a bit disconcerting. What do you think happened?

• geriseib
    geriseib
    Community Member

BTW- it cannot be that I entered stuff in wrong, because I have used the same procedure each time. . copying and pasting from the same source.

• @geriseib

I wonder if your router at home is intercepting your connections (perhaps for spam or content filtering purposes). Either way, I'm glad you were able to get it to work while at work. Please let us know if you have further difficulty at home.

Ben

• geriseib
    geriseib
    Community Member

I don't have internet at home, and therefore no router. Just cell phone. I need to know why it all of a sudden worked, because it will fail me when I need it most if I don't understand why it was not working and then all of a sudden it did.

• @geriseib,

I don't have any way of knowing that. If you're able to recreate the problem we may be able to, but if the problem isn't occurring I have no way of determining what is causing it.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.