Can't save logins from Browser

punk_enciel
punk_enciel
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

When trying to save browser logins there isn't a standard vault to save in and the list is empty

1Password Version: 6.6.406d
Extension Version: 4.6.4
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Saving passwords into vaults

Comments

• punk_enciel
    punk_enciel
    Community Member

• Hi @punk_enciel,

Thanks for writing in.

Do you have a 1Password.com membership? Local vaults are not supported in 1Password 6, it can read but it cannot write or modify the data for you. That's why there's no vault in the Vault for saving list, it means there are no writable vaults for you to choose.

If you're using a local vault and have a license, you can use 1Password 4 for Windows instead here. If you do not have a license, then only 1Password.com membership is available with 1Password 6 on Windows.

• mooseroo
    mooseroo
    Community Member

This is such a pain in the... long time user, about to switch to a different product because of this ridiculous artificial blocking behaviour.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mooseroo: Sorry for the confusion! There's nothing artificial about it. 1Password 6 simply doesn't have support for writing legacy vaults currently. 1Password 4 does, and if you've paid for that you can continue to use it as you have been without having to purchase anything else.

• MH42
    MH42
    Community Member

So I just switched from Mac to Windows ... same happened here. No more saving in 1Password 6. So if I have to get back to 1Password 4 ... will it ever be possible with 1Pwd 6 to save locally again? I´m so not into saving my data anywhere else but on my computer ... I simply don´t trust others to keep the data save .... and I´m not allowed to store data outside switzerland. If it is not coming back to version 6 I will have to change the program, too ... I cannot see the benefits of this change in policy.
    Will version 4 synch with my version 6 on mac?

• MH42
    MH42
    Community Member

and just to be sure ... if I don´t get a 1password.com membership (my accout is frozen) I cannot use 1Password6 anymore? I´m a bit confused right now ...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

and just to be sure ... if I don´t get a 1password.com membership (my accout is frozen) I cannot use 1Password6 anymore? I´m a bit confused right now ...

@MH42: Even with a frozen account, you can still access your data. We don't want to lock you out of it. You simply won't be able to make changes to data in your 1Password.com account without subscribing.

So I just switched from Mac to Windows ... same happened here. No more saving in 1Password 6. So if I have to get back to 1Password 4 ... will it ever be possible with 1Pwd 6 to save locally again? I´m so not into saving my data anywhere else but on my computer ... I simply don´t trust others to keep the data save .... and I´m not allowed to store data outside switzerland. If it is not coming back to version 6 I will have to change the program, too ... I cannot see the benefits of this change in policy.

Sorry for the confusion there. The new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app has never supported local vaults, as we're focused on building the app first for 1Password.com, as we didn't have a Windows app that worked with that otherwise.

And with regard to security, whether you use local vaults or 1Password.com, it's fundamentally the same: your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password.com has the additional security of the Secret Key. But no matter what, only you have the keys to decrypt your data.

Will version 4 synch with my version 6 on mac?

Yep! You can use Dropbox to sync your 1Password data between all platforms. Cheers! :)

• MH42
    MH42
    Community Member

i'm still a little confused. If I own a license for 1Password 4 on a windows machine and so I am able to save the changes within 1Password 4 and I can access it with version 6 on my other devices if I do synch via dropbox or any other cloudservice?
    Are there plans to bring a local vault to windows 10 within version 6?
    It doesn't matter if the files are end-to-end decrypted. As soon as they are stored outside switzerland I'm not allowed to do so ... so this is not good enough for me. There are laws forcing me to keep passwords local.
    Up to now I synched the files via my own cloudserver ... will this work with version 4 and 6 mixed?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017

@MH42: Thanks for explaining. Just keep in mind that any cloud solution will inherently involve transmitting data outside of Switzerland at some point, even if it's encrypted — unless you literally have the data stored locally on your devices and transfer it only over the LAN or via USB. That's why our focus is on end-to-end encryption. People deserve security without having to jump through those kinds of hoops to access their data on multiple devices.

1Password 6 doesn't have the featureset you're looking for right now. If you have a 1Password 4 license, it supports local vaults fully, and, while unsupported, you may use a 3rd party tool to sync the folder between computers. Just be sure to backup your data. This isn't something we're working on for 1Password 6 right now, but it's good to know you'd be interested in that functionality.

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

@brenty The way you worded the last post made it sound like local vaults is something you don't plan to bring to 1P6, but I thought this was something that was going to be coming eventually?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@burn123: Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I simply can't say, as it isn't something we're working on right now. We've got our hands full with Edge on the Windows side, and other integration changes across all browsers. It's something we'd like to revisit in the future though.

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

It is something that will happen SOMETIME in the future though yes? Like even if there is no specific date?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't know the future any more than you do. ;)

This discussion has been closed.