Chrome extension regularly locks up

Options

For the last few years the Chrome extension has been giving me problems.

The first is that opening the vault or saving a login causes not just the extension or Chrome to lock up, but my entire OS. My cursor freezes and Windows stops responding to keyboard commands. I generally have to just wait a few seconds for it to finish so I can use my machine again. It's becoming unbearable at this point.

The second issue is that clicking on the extension often just does nothing at all. No menu shows, nothing happens. The fix for this usually is to close the browser window and re-open. Since that's usually pretty inconvenient, I generally have to open the 1Password app and copy and paste manually.

A third issue already has a ticket that is still active.

I've been a proponent of password managers in general, and 1Password in particular for several years, but I'm reaching my breaking point. The quality of the Windows application is getting worse over time, and I'm really starting to feel like I'm worth less as a Windows user. I use 1Password on a mac as well and have absolutely zero issues with it. It works perfectly all the time.

1Password Version: 4.6.1.620
Extension Version: 4.6.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 (6.2.9200)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Veloxz,

I'm very sorry to hear about the trouble you've been having with the 1Password app and extension over the last few years. Hopefully I can help.

The first is that opening the vault or saving a login causes not just the extension or Chrome to lock up, but my entire OS.

This is certainly usual and something I haven't experienced before in my usage of 1Password for Windows version 4 although I admit that I normally use version 6 these days.

It could be possible that some other app is running in the background that could be conflicting with 1Password and causing this. I would suggest:

1. Starting your PC in "Safe Mode with Networking" mode which will prevent apps configured to start after boot from starting.
    2. Then start up your browser along with 1Password and see if you can reproduce the issue.

• If you can, then something is wrong with 1Password itself and how it's interacting with the Windows OS and / or the browser.

• If the issue can't be reproduced then try starting up other apps one by one that are normally started at boot time and see if they introduce the "lock up" symptom you've found. You can find the list of apps that are usually started if you open Task Manager and view the "Startup" tab.

The second issue is that clicking on the extension often just does nothing at all. No menu shows, nothing happens. The fix for this usually is to close the browser window and re-open. Since that's usually pretty inconvenient, I generally have to open the 1Password app and copy and paste manually.

This is also not expected, usually if a connection cannot be made from the 1Password extension to the 1Password app (which is required for the 1Password Mini to appear) then the extension should open a new tab in the browser indicating that a connection cannot be made.

If you see this again, please create and send us a Diagnostics Report and we'll be able to take a look. The following guide will show you how to create a Diagnostics Report:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thank you.

A third issue already has a ticket that is still active.

Hopefully we can help with this one, please post the Ticket ID/Code here if you haven't heard back from us on this and I'll follow up with it.

I've been a proponent of password managers in general, and 1Password in particular for several years, but I'm reaching my breaking point. The quality of the Windows application is getting worse over time, and I'm really starting to feel like I'm worth less as a Windows user. I use 1Password on a mac as well and have absolutely zero issues with it. It works perfectly all the time.

I'm glad to hear you've had a good experience on Mac and hopefully we can improve your experience on the Windows side. Over the past year we've invested hugely in building a whole new fresh experience for Windows in our version 6 of 1Password for Windows. So you can definitely have something to look forward to if you ever decide to upgrade.

Hopefully we can help with the issues you've mentioned and figure out a solution to get 1Password for Windows working for you again. I'm looking forward to hearing back about how you get on with Safe Mode and if you see that unresponsive extension issue again.

Best regards,
    Matthew

This discussion has been closed.