Help to upgrade from version 3 to version 6

Bricks
Bricks
Community Member
edited May 2017 in Mac

I have a license # for software purchased 10/6/2011. I can't get it to work anymore and it was great. I have been using a written out and written edited...very clumsy. I am a Sr Citizen and handicapped. Buying a new MacBook Pro and want to start out with the latest ver of 1 password but still want all my old info....Can someone talk me through what I need to do, please? I have a mac os Sierra ver now 10.12.4 from 2010 but awaiting new laptop

I have two versions but only the oldest works

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: don't want to sync but I have iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:very confused. In 2011 I got 1Password and loved using it for many years. Then updae

Comments

• Bricks
    Bricks
    Community Member

....and I just found versions of two on my laptop...ORIGINAL1PASSWORD = ver 3.8.22 (build 32010
    copycat 2006-2013 and 1PASSWORD 6 = ver 6.3.1. (631006) I aso have a license # which is very very long.....

• Bricks
    Bricks
    Community Member

....Also when I was sent the new version of the software I started putting in some new material and new edits and did not put them into the original but put them into the new version but then the new version wouldn't give me access anymore so then I went back to using the first or older version so now I don't know if they match because I have no way of checking that. Also remember I am getting a new MacBook Pro later this month. I am very wary of what to do for fear of losing data.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Bricks,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help to upgrade! It sounds like you're currently using 1Password 3, which is a much older version which hasn't been in development for several years now, and unfortunately does not work well on newer versions of the Mac operating system.

It sounds like you're waiting for a new Mac, but upgrading to 1Password 6 will be easier if you do it on the Mac where you have your 1Password 3 data. Once you have all your data in 1Password 6 on that Mac, it will be very easy to sync it to 1Password 6 on your new Mac when you receive it.

In order to upgrade from 1Password 3 to 1Password 6, you can follow the steps here: How to upgrade from 1Password 3 on your Mac

If you have any trouble with that or if you have any questions, please let us know. We're always happy to help. :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Bricks,

It looks like I was writing my reply at the same time you were writing your second and third messages here, so I didn't see them until after I posted my response. I didn't know you already had 1Password 6 installed on your Mac and previously entered some data in it, so you'll need to follow some additional steps.

...and 1PASSWORD 6 = ver 6.3.1. (631006)...

That's an older release of 1Password 6 and might no longer work correctly on your Mac. The latest version is currently 6.7.1, and you'll need to install that by following these steps:

• On your Mac, go to the Applications folder and drag the 1Password 6.app file to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools, as they might accidentally delete your data as well).
    • Download the latest version of 1Password 6 for Mac from our download site: https://1password.com/downloads/
    • Find the .pkg file you downloaded and double-click on it to start the installation.
    • Once the installation is complete, go to the Applications folder and double-click the new 1Password 6.app file.

Does it work now, and can you see the data you previously entered in 1Password 6? Let us know if that works, and we'll be able to give you some additional steps to keep that data and merge it with the data from 1Password 3. Thanks! :)

• Bricks
    Bricks
    Community Member

I read through your instructions and sort of get what you want me to do but I think I already have both versions (3 and 6) and both of those versions have data in them...but version 6 has a tiny little note at the tippy top of the page which says "trial expired" but I don't think it was a trial I thought I upgraded which is why the data was already sent over to version 6.

If you're telling me to merge all the data together how does the software know not to over-write the most recent passwords if I changed a couple of passwords recently on version 3 because version 6 didn't seem to be living?

Also if I do as you say and the process fails how do I protect myself from losing all data? I was hoping you could take control of my computer.

Also how do I pay for all this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bricks: Thanks for following up! Just to confirm, do you see all of your data in 1Password 6? It can read the vault you were originally using in 1Password 3, but I just want to make sure that you have everything there before we go any further.

As far as paying for it, the priority needs to be ensuring you have all of your important data, but a 1Password.com membership is free for the first 30 days and will make it easy for you to transfer your data between computers (and other devices you might have). But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

You're right that we need to be sure you don't lose anything. Be sure to backup your data before doing anything else, and do not use a "cleaner" app as it may remove your 1Password data.

If you need more in-depth help with steps on how to get everything setup, it will be best to continue the conversation via email, so we can get details about your setup and provide more exact instructions. Once you can confirm where you have all of your data, generate a diagnostic report:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Please send it to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots', and post your Support ID here so we can confirm that we've received it. Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.