After latest update login with master password didn't work

Options
TomFalk
TomFalk
Community Member

A reinstall of the app helped me out. (Database is in iCloud, i-Devices weren't affected by the problem). Honestly this scared the s*** out of me. Please give a little insight what might have happened?

1Password Version: 6.6.4.
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Meek
    Options

Hey @TomFalk,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble! That doesn't sound fun. Glad to hear you got it to work by reinstalling though!

Just to confirm, did this happen on a Mac? Also, do you by any chance have more than one vault in 1Password for Mac with different Master Passwords?

• TomFalk
    TomFalk
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Meek, yes, it happened on a Mac. No, I have just one vault; though I had a second one some time ago (and I'm not sure that I used different Master PWs).

• Meek
    Options

Hey @TomFalk,

Thanks for the update! The only thing I can think is that this was caused by that other vault having been around, but I can't be certain.

At any rate, keep an eye on things and let us know if you run into any other issues. Since you reinstalled the app, everything should work properly now.

• TomFalk
    TomFalk
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, the problem reappeared. There is a kind of freeze after starting 1 password and typing the master key. After quitting the app I coundn't login with the master key. The trick I found was killing 1 password mini via terminal "kill -9 PID". Opening the app again and it took the master key. Sigh …

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TomFalk,

Sorry to hear the problem returned! That's really very strange, and I can't think of any reason that would be happening. To make sure we understand, can you please elaborate on a few things:

First, has this happened only after installing an update? Once you get it working again, does it keep working correctly until the next update? Are you using the Mac App Store version or the AgileBits Store version of the app? (If you're not sure, open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > About 1Password from the menu bar.)

There is a kind of freeze after starting 1 password and typing the master key.

Can you tell us more details about the "freeze"? When it happens, are you trying to unlock 1Password from the main app or from mini / browser extension? What do you see on the screen during the freeze? For example, do you still see the lock screen, or does it get stuck in the middle of the unlock animation, or does it show your data but you can't do anything with it yet? Does the mouse turn into a spinning colorful circle/beachball? How long does the freeze last?

Also, once it un-freezes, is that when it tells you the master password is incorrect? Or does it work, but then won't accept your master password after quitting and reopening the app? Or does it remain frozen until you quit the app, and then it won't work when you open it again?

The trick I found was killing 1 password mini via terminal "kill -9 PID".

If possible, it might be easier to go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini from the menu bar of the main app. I don't know if that will be available during the freeze, though.

• monzonfa
    monzonfa
    Community Member
    Options

I am having a similar problem. It's happened now a few times. 1Password does not recognize the master password and the only way for me to get around it is to reboot. After that, it works like a charm. It's happened maybe 3-4 times in the last couple months. I never had this problem before. Running 1Password6 version 6.7.1 on MacOS 10.11.6.

• TomFalk
    TomFalk
    Community Member
    Options

@monzonfa, would you try the Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini the next time? Maybe that narrows the problem down to that part of the software.

@Drew_AG, just to stick to the 1Password mini problem. I'm more or less sure that it appeared with using Safari & Chrome side by side while adding an entry to the database via one of the browsers, then opening the main app because I wanted to look up another entry. (I start to remember that the first time the problem occured it was a similar situation, although I have in general a totally poor memory about what I do within a specific app.)

Ok, now your questions:

1. "after update": I cannot remember that it appeared directly in relation with the updates. The last time the update was on the same day, and maybe I opened the main app for the first time after update. But I'm sure that I logged in into 1password mini after the update without any problems.
    2. "correct work until next update": When I first reported the problem it appeared on the same day randomly until reinstall.
    3. "version": 1Password 6, Version 6.7.1 (671001), AgileBits Store
    4. "freeze": In "quotes" because it's not a literal freeze. After 1password starts and the login screen appears I got the access denied screen after typing the master key, and on repetition the help screen. Typing the master key again at one point the screen showed the entry bullets and nothing happened (that's my "freeze" metaphor for).
    5. "which app": Point 4 is all about the main app.
    6. "what it shows": It's the lock screen after typing the keyword just before the unlock animation (or with a slightly started unlock animation? I'm not that sure about it.)
    7. "beachball": No spinning beachball.
    8. "how long does it last": Well, I quitted the app after a while (in the age of ssd everything above 5 secs is long, so maybe I waited 30 secs to a minute until I quitted the app, since I assume it will last forever; next time i'll wait and report about the status in activity monitor).
    9. "freeze/unfreeze": There is no unfreeze. Nothing happens after point 6.
    10. "after quitting": The app doesn't take the master key. I'm back to point 4. Typically there is no "start to unlock"; so it constantly denies the correctness of the master key. Only workaround is a reboot or my trick of quitting the main app and killing 1Password mini. (The next time I will try just quitting 1Password mini.)
    11. "easier way of killing 1Password mini": ok, I'll try that way :-)

Thanks for you help in advance, @Drew_AG!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @monzonfa,

Are you also having the problem TomFalk described, where 1Password freezes or gets stuck after entering your master password, and you eventually need to force quit or reboot your Mac? Or is the problem only that it sometimes rejects your master password until you reboot?

If you're experiencing both of the same symptoms as TomFalk, you can try the steps I'll be giving him in a few minutes. But if the only problem is that it sometimes starts rejecting your master password, that might be a different problem. Let us know, and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TomFalk,

Thank you for all the information! It sounds like these problems are unrelated to updates for 1Password, which is good.

The next time this happens (it gets stuck when you try to unlock it with your master password), the first thing I'd like you to try is to simply wait a bit longer to see if anything happens. 30 seconds is normally more than enough time (and I'm sure it feels like an eternity while staring at the screen waiting for something to happen), but please try waiting at least a couple minutes, maybe even 5. If anything else happens during that time, let us know. But if nothing happens during that time, go ahead and try restarting 1Password mini like I suggested before (if possible). If you can't restart mini, do what you normally need to do to get it working again.

You mentioned you sync 1Password via iCloud. In that case, is there any chance this problem (where 1Password gets stuck / freezes) happens due to accidentally entering your master password incorrectly? The reason I ask is because if you entered the wrong master password, 1Password would quickly determine it was incorrect, but before rejecting it, it would check the copy of your data in iCloud in case you changed your master password from another device. Depending on various things (internet speed, iCloud servers, etc), a delay can occur at that point (it's not usually a long delay, but it depends on different factors).

If nothing happens after waiting 5-ish minutes, and if you're sure you didn't enter your master password incorrectly when it happens, you can try deleting and reinstalling the 1Password app to see if that helps. Go to the Applications folder and drag the 1Password app to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools, as they might accidentally delete your data as well). Empty the Trash, reboot your Mac, then re-download 1Password from our download site and run the .pkg installer.

I know this problem might not reoccur for a while, but if/when it does, let us know how it all goes. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.