1Password 6 Windows not Updating

Options

I use 1Password primarily on my Mac. But I also use it under Parallels in my Windows 10 system running on the Mac.

I note that my version is 6.2.333. When I click on Options - Updates, and click the update button, it briefly flutters, disappears, and nothing happens. When I restart 1P it is still 6.2.333.

1Password Version: 6.2.333
Extension Version: 6.2.333d
OS Version: Windows 10 Home build 1607 14393.1066
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ChocolateCheesecake
    ChocolateCheesecake
    Community Member
    Options

You selected Dropbox as Sync Type. Do you have a subscription account in addition?

Otherwise only 1Password 4 for Windows will work for you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jim_Kel: It was ambiguous from your description, but either ChocolateCheesecake (mmm...cheesecake) is correct and you're talking about updating your data in 1Password (in which case 1Password 4 will be a better option for using without a 1Password.com account), or you're having trouble updating the app itself. If the latter, you can get the latest version from our update site and install it manually:

AgileBits app updates

Since you're on such an old version, it may not be able to update automatically since we changed the installer a while back. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Jim_Kel
    Jim_Kel
    Community Member
    Options

So, my data is sync'ing fine. I have a 1Password Family subscription. And the current sync is via Dropbox.

I am now a little concerned about the release notes in the Windows update, re dropping support for Dropbox sync ... Perhaps I misunderstand the comment?

Jim

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jim_Kel: Sorry for the confusion there! The new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app has never supported syncing with Dropbox; rather, it was previously possible to load a vault from Dropbox directly, but local vaults are read-only and only meant for importing data there currently.

And more importantly, if you're using 1Password Families, this doesn't use Dropbox or any other 3rd party to sync data. Instead, all of this is handled automatically by 1Password.com through your account, so all you do is sign in to 1Password on each device to access your data. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Jim_Kel
    Jim_Kel
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps I have my multiple 1Password systems completely wrongly set up then!

According to "Sync" in preferences on my Mac, the Primary Vault is set sync to a folder in my Dropbox. When I look at the dropdown list, it does not even include sync at 1Password.com as an option.

And on my iPhone, 1Password settings show "Sync" of my Primary vault to the same Dropbox folder.

Then on Windows 10, still shows Dropbox sync. And a change to the Mac in a "Secure Note" appears in the Windows version in seconds. And vice versa.

1. In short, it seems to be working OK - but perhaps not syncing to 1Password.com as designed for Families. Should I send in a diagnostics report from the Mac? (To ensure that I have sync set up correctly?)
    2. Re the Windows system, I understand from your earlier comments that I should uninstall this outdated 1Password 6.2.333 app and download the most current version from 1Password.com. As a further step, I will plan to remove all data and setup information when uninstalling the old app.

Jim

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017
    Options

Perhaps I have my multiple 1Password systems completely wrongly set up then!

@Jim_Kel: I don't think so. Windows is just an odd case since we had to build a brand new app there. That's our fault, and I'm sorry for the trouble it's caused you. :(

According to "Sync" in preferences on my Mac, the Primary Vault is set sync to a folder in my Dropbox. When I look at the dropdown list, it does not even include sync at 1Password.com as an option.

Indeed, 1Password.com doesn't have any sync settings; you just sign in (Preferences/Settings > Accounts).

And on my iPhone, 1Password settings show "Sync" of my Primary vault to the same Dropbox folder.

Vaults sync'd using Dropbox have to be configured individually on each device. With 1Password.com, logging into your account automatically gets you all of the vaults you have access to there, even shared ones. So it's pretty different, and while we feel pretty strongly that it's a better experience, it can be difficult to make that mental shift for folks like you and I who are used to using Dropbox.

Then on Windows 10, still shows Dropbox sync. And a change to the Mac in a "Secure Note" appears in the Windows version in seconds. And vice versa.

If you're using only 1Password 6 on Windows, it can't sync any data via Dropbox, as it isn't even possible to create/edit an item in a local vault. So you're either using 1Password 4 (which does work with local vaults and can sync using Dropbox), or the items you're adding/editing are in a 1Password.com vault. You can switch between vaults in the upper left, check your settings for saving (Settings > Options > General > Vault for saving), and also login to 1Password.com in your browser to verify where you're saving data. It's entirely possible that you have Dropbox vaults still on each device, which could cause some confusion, but on Windows with 1Password 6 you won't be able to make changes to it.

In short, it seems to be working OK - but perhaps not syncing to 1Password.com as designed for Families. Should I send in a diagnostics report from the Mac? (To ensure that I have sync set up correctly?)

If in doubt, absolutely! Just generate a diagnostic report for each device so we can get on the same page:

Sending Diagnostics Reports

Please send it to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots', and post your Support ID here so we can confirm that we've received it. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you.

Re the Windows system, I understand from your earlier comments that I should uninstall this outdated 1Password 6.2.333 app and download the most current version from 1Password.com. As a further step, I will plan to remove all data and setup information when uninstalling the old app.

Yep! With a 1Password.com membership of any kind, you're entitled to use the latest version of of 1Password on all of your devices. We're constantly making improvements to all of them, but especially with the new Windows app we're adding features and improving it in some big ways each month — or even weeks, in some cases. There have been 3 fairly big updates since 6.2 was released at the end of last year.

While you're logged into 1Password.com in your browser to check things out anyway, you can just go to the Get the Apps section (in your account menu) to easily have access to your account details and handy links to install the app. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with! :)

• Jim_Kel
    Jim_Kel
    Community Member
    Options

Brent,
    My Windows app is now up to date, and syncing properly with 1Password Families.

I also checked the set up of all of the other Mac and iOS apps. I have taken away all of the "optional" syncs with Dropbox, because they are already sync'ed via my Families vaults at 1Password.com. (In any event, they were not syncing the proper vaults, only a vestigial "Primary" vault which had nothing to do with my "Families" vaults.)

Thanks for your help.

Jim

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. You are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.