I accidentally changed my data file to "primary vault". Can I get my Mac back to "agile bits" ?

OldFlyer
OldFlyer
Community Member

In trying to do a Restore, I accidentally changed the DropBox sync target file to “Primary vault” . Now I guess this Mac is saving all 1PW edits to ‘vault’. I also noticed, none of my other devices are getting this Mac's edits, probably as they are looking at "agile".

Can I get this Mac back to using the “agile” data file ?

I’d rather stick with the “agile” data file, as all my other devices us it. Can I get this data back to an agile file, like all my other devices, that now need updating?

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.4
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:vaults vs agile

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017

Hi @OldFlyer,

Sorry to hear you're having some trouble syncing 1Password between your Mac and other devices! It sounds like 1Password on your Mac is no longer syncing with 1Password on your other devices, but it will help if you can clarify some things you mentioned:

In trying to do a Restore, I accidentally changed the DropBox sync target file to “Primary vault” .

The first vault added to 1Password for Mac is always named "Primary", so that sounds like correct behavior. Can you please elaborate on that?

Now I guess this Mac is saving all 1PW edits to ‘vault’.

Your data in 1Password is kept in one or more vaults, so I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Is it possible you mean that your Primary vault is now syncing to a ".opvault" file in Dropbox, but was previously syncing with a different file?

I also noticed, none of my other devices are getting this Mac's edits, probably as they are looking at "agile".

Are you referring to a different sync file in Dropbox that has ".agilekeychain" in its name?

If my guesses above are correct, I think what's happening is that 1Password on your Mac is now syncing with a different file in Dropbox than 1Password on your other devices. If so, all you need to do is disable sync in 1Password on your Mac and delete the .opvault sync file, then re-enable sync with Dropbox and choose the .agilekeychain sync file. Here are the steps to do that:

• Open & unlock 1Password on your Mac and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar.
    • Click the Sync tab, then change the sync setting from Dropbox to None.
    • Click the box next to Delete data from Dropbox, then click Disable Sync.
    • Change the sync from None back to Dropbox.
    • Click the Choose button, then select your .agilekeychain sync file from Dropbox (and click Open).
    • Click Merge with Existing to start syncing (enter your master password if prompted).

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• OldFlyer
    OldFlyer
    Community Member

Thanks for your prompt reply !

I think I see where we're going, but one clarification, before I try your recommendations-

I see the option to choose the sync cloud, BUT, not the option to select anything except the vault. The is no "agile" option. Here's a screen shot- https://cl.ly/kKXa/NoChoose.jpeg

Thanks again for your patience,

Rich

• OldFlyer
    OldFlyer
    Community Member

BTW- here's the sync path on the Mac I didn't mess up https://cl.ly/kKPa

• OldFlyer
    OldFlyer
    Community Member

Me again Here's my responses to your questions-

< < The first vault added to 1Password for Mac is always named "Primary", so that sounds like correct behavior. Can you please elaborate on that? > >

Not sure what you mean. Again, I Don’t think I’ve ever seen “vault” , only “agile bits”. Vault showed up after I tried to restore. btw- to further add to confusion my other Macs all have duplicate 1PW logins.

Soo . . . if possible, I need to get all my devices sync’d to the data on this Mac. Hopefully that doesn’t mean changing everyone to “Vault”

< < Your data in 1Password is kept in one or more vaults, so I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Is it possible you mean that your Primary vault is now syncing to a ".opvault" file in Dropbox, but was previously syncing with a different file? > >

Maybe, but one observation- On this Mac, I Don’t even see a ‘Vault’ target on the Dropbox 1PW folder ! Only an ‘agile’ file, whose “last modified’ date is 2 days ago (when the problem started. So I agree this Mac’s 1pw is now working with a vault, but I don’t know where that file is. I'd like to find it, so I can confirm it's "modified" date corresponds to my 1PW edits.

< < If my guesses above are correct, I think what's happening is that 1Password on your Mac is now syncing with a different file in Dropbox than 1Password on your other devices. > >

Again, I dropbox > 1pw > folder, has only an ‘agile’ file there, it it shows a 2 day old ‘modified’. I’m ready to get back to “agile” but again, in my Sync pref, I see no data file option, other than ‘Vault’. ( https://cl.ly/kKXa/NoChoose.jpeg ) How do I get to that Finder path, show in my wife’s Mac? https://cl.ly/kKPa

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @OldFlyer,

Thank you for the screenshots, they're very helpful!

In the first screenshot, you pointed to the name of the Primary vault in the Sync settings and asked how to change it to "agile". You won't be able to change the name of the Primary vault, it's always called "Primary" in the 1Password app. I feel like I may have misunderstood your question, though (if so, please let me know).

Your second screenshot shows the sync settings on your second Mac. The Primary vault on that Mac is pointing to this sync file: ~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

I'm assuming the Primary vaults on both Macs should be syncing with each other - if so, the Primary vault on the first Mac needs to point to the same sync file as the Primary vault on the second Mac. The first Mac is currently set to "None" in the sync settings, so you'll just need to follow these steps:

• Change the sync setting from None to Dropbox.
    • Click the Choose button, then select 1Password.agilekeychain from the Dropbox/1Password/ folder (and click Open).
    • Click Merge with Existing to start syncing (enter your master password if prompted).

Please let us know if you have more questions about that or if I misunderstood what you're asking. :)

• OldFlyer
    OldFlyer
    Community Member

Yes that's what I missed- I couldn't reselect Dropbox > Agile, "UNTIL" I choose "none", then back to dropbox. The the "choose your path" displays. I think you mentioned that- MyBad.

I Don't want to change the Vault name. Sorry for the confusion.

So I now know how to redirect this Mac back to the Agile file in dropbox. But before I pull that trigger-

1- My other mac (was always on dropbox > agile) now has duplicates of all my logins. For some reason, thankfully, this Mac does not have dupes.
    2- That data is now 2 days old, as apparently, this mac is saving data to 'Vault'

QUESTION- can i save this Mac's 1pw data (most current and without dupes) to an "agile" file, then get that into the dropbox sync folder WITHOUT merging?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @OldFlyer! I think we're on the same page now. ;)

QUESTION- can i save this Mac's 1pw data (most current and without dupes) to an "agile" file, then get that into the dropbox sync folder WITHOUT merging?

Yes - If your first Mac (the one which is not currently syncing) has all your latest data, and you would like to remove all the data from your second Mac (the one with old data and duplicates) and replace it with the data from the first Mac, ignore the steps I gave you before and follow these steps instead:

On your first Mac (with your latest data):

1. Go to your Dropbox folder, find the 1Password.agilekeychain file, and drag it to the Trash.
    2. If there is still a 1Password.opvault file in your Dropbox folder, drag that to the Trash as well (there should be no more .agilekeychain or .opvault files in Dropbox).
    3. Open and unlock 1Password, then go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar.
    4. Click the Sync tab, then change the sync setting from None to Dropbox.
    5. Click the Choose button and select your main Dropbox folder (and click Open).
    6. Click Create New to create a new 1Password.opvault file in /Dropbox/Apps/1Password/.
    7. Allow Dropbox to fully sync the new .opvault sync file.

On your second Mac (with old/duplicate data):

1. Open 1Password and make sure it is locked (if it is unlocked, click the padlock in the upper right corner).
    2. Go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data and follow the on-screen instructions.
    3. After resetting it, launch 1Password and you will see the 'Welcome' screen.
    4. From the ‘Welcome’ screen, click on ‘Sync using Dropbox’ and then click the ‘Chose File…’ button.
    5. Select the new 1Password.opvault file in /Dropbox/Apps/1Password/.

If you sync 1Password with any other devices, they will stop syncing when they realize the old sync file was removed from Dropbox, and you will need to enable Dropbox in their sync settings and choose the new 1Password.opvault sync file.

We're here for you if you have questions about that. Let us know how it all goes! :)

• OldFlyer
    OldFlyer
    Community Member

Sounds good!

So I'm now going to switch data files - from agilebits, to opvault?

btw- Gotta ask- (just want to confirm 'modified' dates- Promise i won't mess with it :)
    Just where, on my mac, is the opvault file?

Thanks again,

Rich

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @OldFlyer,

Yes, you'll be changing the type of sync file you use in Dropbox. Either format will work, but .opvault is newer and is the default sync format, so it's easier to use that since you'll be creating a new sync file.

Just to be clear, the file in Dropbox is not your main data file - it's just a copy of your vault which is used for syncing with other devices. Your 1Password data is stored locally in an SQLite database file within the ~/Library/ directory on your Mac. When you open 1Password, it shows you the data from that file. Any changes you make are copied from the SQLite database to the sync file in Dropbox.

So to answer one of your questions, all the modified dates you currently see in 1Password (on your first Mac) will be the same after you follow my steps (and they will be the same on your second Mac as well).

Just where, on my mac, is the opvault file?

If you still currently have a .opvault sync file in Dropbox, it would most likely be in /Dropbox/Apps/1Password/ which is the default location. Once you create a new .opvault sync file when following my steps, it will be created in /Dropbox/Apps/1Password/.

Cheers! :)

• OldFlyer
    OldFlyer
    Community Member

OK- The Macs are all good again, but the iOS devices still have the old data. > >

1pw > Sync > Primary set up sync > Start syncing > Sync w/ Dropbox _
    and that's all i see. I thought that meant it was syncing, but the data isn't changing .

• OldFlyer
    OldFlyer
    Community Member

UPDATE- maybe jumping the gun, but on the iOS/iPad iPW > Settings - the little arrows are turning, so hopefully that data hasn't finished updating. BUT on the iPhone, the arrows are not turning, and that data is still the "pre vault" data. Don't know the finer details of iOS Dropbox- is there an indicator that shows whether that file has finished syncing?

• OldFlyer
    OldFlyer
    Community Member

well it looks like when the iOS devices sync'd, the MERGER the data, so not everything is duplicates. whattamess.

Some kind of backup data from the good mac?

• OldFlyer
    OldFlyer
    Community Member

Done you procedures twice
    Works perfectly on the OS X devices, but the iOS devices refuse to delete their old data, so they merge it all, eventually corrupting the OS X data!

How do I erase the iOS data, before doing the procedure?

• OldFlyer
    OldFlyer
    Community Member

OK- update on Where it's at . It's been an hour + (and I have fast internet :), since I did the vault replacement procedure.

GoodNews- The Vault data file is working on all devices. Edits on either OS X or iOS devices, show up on all devices, iOS & OS X .

BadNews- The iOS devices won't give up their old iPOW data, so they have all the data from the new Vault file AND old "before vault" data. So OS X iPW has 535 items, while 1PW in iOS has 994

Fortunately, so far, the iOS devices have NOT sent the old data to the cloud, so the OS X Macs don't have a bunch of duplicates. In my previous post, I said the iOS dupes were getting into the cloud & OS X Macs. Fortunately I was wrong.

So OS X iPW has 535 items, while 1PW in iOS has 994

FWIW- the iPhone still shows syncing, but the iPad does not. Both devices have "both" sets of data- 994 items vs 535 on the Macs

• OldFlyer
    OldFlyer
    Community Member

ok- all fixed :)))

Uninstalled/reinstalled the iOS apps

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad to see that Kate was able to help you get things sorted out via email. If you need anything else, we're here for you! :)

ref: CGI-56572-568

• OldFlyer
    OldFlyer
    Community Member

She was excellent. Thanks for sharing your best!

Rich

_i learn for the mistakes of people who took my advice
    _

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.