Why does open and fill always open in default browser

Toon61
Toon61
Community Member

On my Mac, Safari is (still) my default browser. But as a web developer I also do a lot of work and testing in Chrome and Firefox.
When in Chrome or Firefox and using the 'Open and Fill' option these links are always opened in Safari (the default browser).
It would be very nice if Open and Fill uses the browser that is open and active at that time.

1Password Version: 6.5.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_TJLuoma
    ag_TJLuoma
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017

Hi @Toon61

You're the second person to mention that this week, and I think it's a reasonable point that if you are in one browser and choose "Open and Fill" you'd expect it to open in that browser.

I'll mention this to the Mac developers.

Thanks for using 1Password!

TJ

ref: OPM-1413

• Toon61
    Toon61
    Community Member

Hi TJ,

Thanks, hoping to see it 'fixed' in a following update.

• ag_TJLuoma
    ag_TJLuoma
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Toon61

That seems like a reasonable request. Of course i can't promise if/when it will be fixed, but I'll definitely pass it on!

Tj

• jimbojones2000
    jimbojones2000
    Community Member

+1 for this. Was very surprised when I discovered this behaviour

• DougC
    DougC
    Community Member

Nice to see this is already being addressed. Very frustrating, especially when there are multiple URLs in a single login. Thanks!

• I agree that our behavior here doesn't seem right.

Rick

• newuser2017
    newuser2017
    Community Member

It's been two months since the last update, and five months since you've been aware of this. We've just begun using your product. My default browser on Mac OS is FireFox, which I use for normal browsing activities. But for all my secure logins, I use Chrome. I've installed the 1Password Chrome extension, and would have expected the extension to open links in new Chrome tabs. However, they open new tabs in the default browser. This is not ideal and would even consider this a security risk. What's the status on this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@newuser2017: This isn't new behaviour. It's simply that it never came up until recently. When clicking a URL in 1Password, this works the same as it does for anything else on your Mac — for example, opening a .webloc, or clicking a link in a document; the system URL handler opens it in the browser you've set as the default for hyperlinks. It may be something we change in the future by trying to handle the URL ourselves, but in the mean time you'll find that selecting the login instead of the URL will open it in the current browser, since this is a 1Password action. Cheers! :)

• pinskerj
    pinskerj
    Community Member

The problem with this is that if there is more than 1 URL, if you hover over the login entry in the extension (let's say inside chrome), then choose the second URL on the list, it still opens in Safari. This should be fixed, if opening from inside the extension, always stay in the same browser. Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

I understand what you mean, but if you're clicking a URL that's handled by the OS, and will open in your default browser (which is not necessarily the browser you're using at the time). It may be that we can add a feature to have 1Password handle URLs itself in the future, but that isn't something that 1Password is capable of doing today. Thanks for your feedback on this!

ref: OPM-1413

This discussion has been closed.