how to reinstall 1P after reinstalling macOS Sierra ?

marcange
marcange
Community Member

Hello from Toulon (France) and sorry for my bad English...
I have a MacBook Air that needs to be reinstalled (including to clean completely the hard disk before).
Of course, 1P is very important to me and I don't want to make any mistake with it.
What have I to do before and during the operation to found again all my passwords after reinstalling macOS ?
Thank you for your help...
Marc

1Password Version: 6.7 (670008)
Extension Version: 4.6.5
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.4
Sync Type: wifi
Referrer: forum-search:how to reinstall 1Password

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @marcange,

Thanks for writing in with your question! I'm glad you're thinking ahead to make sure you don't lose your valuable information.

First, since you'll be erasing your hard drive during this process, I would assume you have a full backup of your Mac so you can restore data afterwards. The backup of your Mac should include your 1Password data and backup files, but I recommend making a separate copy of your latest 1Password backup file somewhere else (like a USB drive, SD card, etc). To do that:

• Open the main 1Password app and go to File > Backup.
    • Click the Show Files button to open the 1Password backups folder on your Mac.
    • Copy those backup files (or at least the most recent one) to a USB drive or other external location.

After reinstalling Sierra, you'll need to reinstall 1Password and copy your backup file back to your Mac. Open 1Password, and from the ‘Welcome’ screen, click on 'More Options...' and choose ‘Restore from Backup’. Then click the ‘Choose Backup…’ button and select your .1p4_zip backup file.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any questions about that. Cheers! :)

• marcange
    marcange
    Community Member

Hi Drew,
    Thank you so much for those information.
    I'm going to act now...
    Have a nice day

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! We're here for you if you need more help. :)

This discussion has been closed.