How to reset Chrome protocol handler (do you want Chrome to open 1Password?)

Options
aaroncz
aaroncz
Community Member
edited May 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

While setting up Chrome extension, in the pop up window which asks me if I allow the extension to open 1Password app, I checked the box "Remember my choice" and clicked "Don't allow" by mistake, then I cannot find where in the Chrome settings that I can change the decision I made. Is there any solution?

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Newest
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @aaroncz,

It seems to be a mess. Can I ask you to try opening chrome://settings/handlers in Chrome and seeing if there is anything there that references 1Password and if it can be deleted. This may not work and I may have to investigate further. I've done it once in the past but of course I can't remember how I did now.

• aaroncz
    aaroncz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Thank you for your help. As I open the given link in Chrome, I do see a list of protocol handlers but it is totally blank - Nothing in it. And I allowed the protocol option "Allow sites to ask to become default handlers for protocols" in Chrome settings. Unfortunately, it does not work. And I tried to reinstall the extension again and again, seems that the preference of "Don't allow 1Password extension to open 1Password.app" is always remembered.

Aaron

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @aaroncz,

Okay, I've finally managed to locate it after far too much mucking about. Once you see how to reset it I'll leave it to your imagination as to expressions I may have during the investigative period.

1. Ensure Chrome is closed.
    2. Open a Finder Window and use the menu option Go > Go to Folder....
    3. In the dialog that pops up paste in the path ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/ and click the Go button.
    4. Now assuming you don't use profiles in Chrome you want to look for a folder called Default. If you use profiles you will be looking for one probably titled Profile X where X is a number. I don't know how to identify which is which beyond doing the steps below in each.
    5. In that folder you're looking for a file titled Preferences. Open it in your preferred text editor.
    6. Search for the following text "onepassword4-extension":false,. When you find it delete it and save.
    7. You should find you will be asked the next time.

Given Chrome gives you the ability to permanently save these it's crazy that I'm having to suggest firing up a text editor and edit a specific file. As it stands everything I found online didn't even point to this file suggesting what is online is likely out of date.

Let me know how you get along but this should work.

• aaroncz
    aaroncz
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! These days I'm preparing for my English 12 provincial exam, maybe I'll try it a few days later.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Let us know how it goes @aaroncz,

And the best of luck in your exam! :) :+1:

Matthew

• aaroncz
    aaroncz
    Community Member
    Options

Ahh, I'm sorry to reply this so late. This solution successfully and perfectly solve my problem.
    Thank you so much! :-) @littlebobbytables @matthew_ag

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @aaroncz,

I'm glad we managed to figure that one out. Chrome does not make that easy at all and it isn't helped by the fact that most data online must be out of date. I must remember the solution in case somebody else falls into the same unfriendly trap.

This discussion has been closed.