I added an account with password, url, etc. However, when I click on it it doesn't go to the site.

Options
wcelliott
wcelliott
Community Member

When I click on the account's icon, nothing happens. I've got the password, sign in and url correct but nothing happens when I click to go to the page. If I click on just the URL, it opens the accounts website but won't sign in. Also, another problem: I can sign into my OnePassword account if I use Safari but not if I use the app in my iMac or the short cut in the upper tool bar. They both say I'm not using the correct master password.

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.12.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:I can add accounts but when I click on them they don't open

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

When I click on the account's icon, nothing happens. I've got the password, sign in and url correct but nothing happens when I click to go to the page. If I click on just the URL, it opens the accounts website but won't sign in.

@wcelliott: Can you tell me which icon you're referring to? Also, if you'll let me know the URL you're having trouble with and the browser version you're using, I can test it myself to see if there are other things that might help. Otherwise I'm just guessing. ;)

Also, another problem: I can sign into my OnePassword account if I use Safari but not if I use the app in my iMac or the short cut in the upper tool bar. They both say I'm not using the correct master password.

Do you perhaps have multiple copies of 1Password installed? Or have you signed up for a 1Password.com membership in addition to using a local vault in iCloud, perhaps with different Master Passwords? Let me know what you find!

• wcelliott
    wcelliott
    Community Member
    Options

The Icon i'm referring to is the one in the top tool bar on my iMac. When I click on the icon, it opens but when I type in my password nothing happens. It says "Incorrect Password." A couple of years ago I did have a One Password account. I thought I had removed it from my computer a long time ago but It does seem like there might be some piece of it remaining. Is there a way to totally delete all of the One Password programs and re-install it.. I've only loaded a couple of passwords so it wouldn't be a problem to delete everything and start over.

The URL I'm using is http://onepassword.com I then sign into my account and then click on the vault i want to open. It opens and shows the login password links I want to open but I can't open them. They show my user name, password and the website but I can't open them.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wcelliott,

Thank you for the additional information, I think I understand what's causing the confusion:

The URL I'm using is http://onepassword.com I then sign into my account and then click on the vault i want to open. It opens and shows the login password links I want to open but I can't open them. They show my user name, password and the website but I can't open them.

Signing into your account on 1Password.com allows you to access your 1Password data and account settings from any web browser, but it cannot fill data from your Login items into websites.

In order to fill web forms, you'll need to have the 1Password app and the 1Password browser extension installed on your Mac. It sounds like you're having trouble with the main 1Password app because it won't accept your master password, but once we help you figure that out, you'll be able to install and use the browser extension by following the steps here: Use the browser extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

From what you've described, it sounds like the 1Password app on your Mac has a local vault which isn't part of your 1Password.com account, and uses a different master password. If you remember any other master password you've used in the past with 1Password, you can try entering it in the app to see if it works to unlock it.

If you can't remember the master password you used for the app, you won't be able to unlock it - but you can reset the app and then set it up again by signing into your account. To do that, follow the steps here: How to erase your 1Password data and start over

Please let us know how it all goes and if you have any questions. Cheers! :)

• wcelliott
    wcelliott
    Community Member
    Options

I have the browser extension loaded. In fact, I deleted it and loaded it again. It still won't let me sign in. I've tried every possible password in the hopes that it was looking for an old accounts password but to no avail. I can however sign in when I go to www.one password.com. When i click on a vault it opens and shows the accounts that I've manually added. The problem here is that when I click on the sites icon that i want to sign into nothing happens. All the sign in info is correct. If I go to the website url and click on open it opens the site. I can then copy the sign in and password from the one password vault page and I get into the website account. I've tried the "Reset 1Password" but I can't I don't see the 'Help" to click on in the upper right corner that the instructions talk about. I assume the account is locked since I can't sign in. I'm still wondering if my new 1Password account is conflicting with a previous account? Can we simply delete all of the associated software and re-install 1Password and start over?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wcelliott,

I think there's some confusion between the 1Password.com website and the 1Password app installed on your Mac, but I can help to clear that up:

I can however sign in when I go to www.one password.com. When i click on a vault it opens and shows the accounts that I've manually added. The problem here is that when I click on the sites icon that i want to sign into nothing happens.

That's correct: As I mentioned before, the 1Password.com website cannot fill websites with data from your Login items.

To fill sign-in forms on websites, you'll need to use the 1Password browser extension. That extension works by connecting to 1Password mini, which is part of the 1Password app bundle installed on your Mac. In other words, it has nothing to do with the 1Password.com website.

The problem is that you're unable to unlock the 1Password app or browser extension on your Mac. But once we solve that problem, you'll be able to use the extension to fill sign-in forms.

I've tried the "Reset 1Password" but I can't I don't see the 'Help" to click on in the upper right corner that the instructions talk about.

Are you looking for the Help menu in the main 1Password app on your Mac? Or on the 1Password.com website? Again, the website has nothing to do with this - you'll need to open the main 1Password app (you can find it in the Applications folder on your Mac). When you open the main 1Password app, you'll see the 1Password app window (it will be locked) and there will be a Help menu at the top of the screen in the Mac menu bar. Click on the Help menu, then choose Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data.

I'm still wondering if my new 1Password account is conflicting with a previous account? Can we simply delete all of the associated software and re-install 1Password and start over?

As I mentioned in my last post, it sounds like the 1Password app on your Mac has a local vault which isn't part of your 1Password.com account, and uses a different master password. When the 1Password app and extension ask for your master password, they're probably asking for the master password for the local vault, and not the master password for your account. Basically, it's just asking for a different master password than the one you're entering.

You don't need to delete the app, but you'll need to reset it by going to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data. Once you do that, you'll be able to set the app up again by signing into your account, and then the extension will work.

Hopefully that helps and makes sense, but please let us know how it goes and if you have questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.