Problems with adding a new computer to family account

wdahnert
wdahnert
Community Member

Boy , oh boy,
you make it more than difficult to add a new computer onto a family account.
(1) I am an active family member and was added by my wife as a coauthor (my wife is originally the primary subscriber but asks me to manage the account). However, I can't sign in under my own email. Why would you not allow me to upgrade by refusing my e-mail address which you have listed on our account site (I did use the family account https and secret code to gain access - but no satisfaction!)
(2) Under 1Password preferences I added the new family account (which about doubled the number of entries).
(a) Is it safe to simply delete all personal items (all entires were perfect before the upgrade) .
(b) Why would I have to go line by line to eliminate all duplicate entries or is there an easier way?
(3) Why is the old password retained and the new password rejected?
(4) When we changed to a family account from a single account, I had to sign up on every one of our Apple devices (6 in all) twice, for each user separately to gain access to 1Password. We simply wanted to share all password items across all devices. Isn't there a simpler way to do so?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• wdahnert
    wdahnert
    Community Member

1Pw Version 6.7.1
    OS 10.12.4
    Sync primary vault with none

• Hi @wdahnert - Thank you for writing in and sharing your experience with us. I'll be happy to help so let's tackle your questions one at a time below:

I am an active family member and was added by my wife as a coauthor (my wife is originally the primary subscriber but asks me to manage the account). However, I can't sign in under my own email. Why would you not allow me to upgrade by refusing my e-mail address which you have listed on our account site (I did use the family account https and secret code to gain access - but no satisfaction!)

Are you still having an issue logging into the account using the details listed on your Emergency Kit? If so, let me know and we can move the conversation over to email so I can better assist you without sharing any private details here.

Is it safe to simply delete all personal items (all entires were perfect before the upgrade) Why would I have to go line by line to eliminate all duplicate entries or is there an easier way?

If you migrated all your data over to your new Personal vault which is connected to your 1Password.com account, you can delete your Primary vault which is most likely causing the duplicates. Going forward, your Personal vault will replace your Primary vault. Any new items you add to your Personal vault will be auto-synced across your devices (as long as your signed into the account) including the web app.

Why is the old password retained and the new password rejected?

Your original Master Password is connected to your Primary vault. It sounds like when you signed up for the 1Password.com account, you created a new Master Password. Once your Primary vault is deleted from the app, the Master Password you created for the new 1Password.com account will be the default to unlock the apps and to sign into your account via the web. Are you having trouble using your new Master Password when signing into your account via the web?

When we changed to a family account from a single account, I had to sign up on every one of our Apple devices (6 in all) twice, for each user separately to gain access to 1Password. We simply wanted to share all password items across all devices. Isn't there a simpler way to do so?

Once you add the new 1Password.com account to all your devices, you should only have to do this once. If you use the Emergency Kit, you can scan the setup code which auto-fills all your login details except for your Master Password. After all your devices are authorized, you won't have to do this again. I'm sorry to hear it was time consuming to get all the devices set up with the new account. I appreciate the feedback and it's definitely something we can improve to make this easier.

I hope this helped. Keep us posted if you're running into trouble signing into the account and we'll reach out to you via email. :smile: Have a great day and I look forward to hearing back from you.

This discussion has been closed.