1Password always launches the full app at login

kop48
kop48
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

The Beta app seems to always launch the full 1Password app at login instead of just the Agent. It'd be great if it wouldn't do that. :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kop48: I'm not seeing this. Can you confirm which version you're running? Do you perhaps just have 1Password in your startup settings? I'm only getting the notification icon when I boot into Windows.

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

This is what's being launched on startup:
    C:\Users\\AppData\Local\1Password\app\6\AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kop48: Hm. Interesting. That's technically correct, but that alone shouldn't cause the main 1Password window to open when you boot into Windows. Try this:

1. Open 1Password and go to Settings > Options > General
    2. Disable "Start 1Password automatically when I sign into Windows" (you should see 1Password is no longer listed in Task Manager > Startup)
    3. Restart Windows

1Password should not start unless you open it manually, and when you do so, then it should open the main window. Is that what you're seeing? If so, it may have just been a glitch with the startup setting. Try re-enabling it and reboot again to see if it work as expected this time. Let me know what you find!

• jeeyeoh
    jeeyeoh
    Community Member

@kop48 I found that too!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jeeyeoh: Are you using the same version? Did you try the instructions in my previous post? Let me know what you find!

• jeeyeoh
    jeeyeoh
    Community Member

Hi @brenty

I Had Disabled "Start 1Password automatically when I sign into Windows" .

However it still auto start when I Logon the Windows.

1Password Version:6.6.407

OS Version: Windows 10 Creator

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

@jeeyeoh and @kop48
    Are you using Chrome as your browser and is that autostarting when booting Windows? Because I have seen (not reproducible of course) occasions, where Chrome was also starting the 1Password application, when 1Password was set to use Chromes Native Messaging.
    Just a wild guess :)

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

I do not have Chrome configured to auto start, but I do launch it relatively early after login :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017

@Manaburner: Whoa. Nice! I hadn't considered that, but something has to be launching 1Password — especially if Windows isn't!

@jeeyeoh, @kop48: If you hold off on launching the browser with 1Password not set to launch on startup, does 1Password still open?

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

From today's experiences, it does not.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kop48: Thanks for letting me know. It's still fairly early in our development using Native Messaging, but we'll see if there's something we can do to help with this. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kop48: I just wanted to follow up here with a few additional details in case it helps. After testing and re-reading this discussion, I think I may have misunderstood what you were reporting and perhaps inadvertently misled you.

With 1Password 6, there is no separate Helper process; the app handles all of this. As such, 1Password needs to run in order for the browser extension to work. When the browser tries to connect to 1Password, it will launch 1Password if it is not running.

The difference here is that whereas with the old WebSockets method the connection is established only when the browser extension is invoked, with the new Native Messaging method, the browser establishes the connection when launched (and therefore launches 1Password immediately if it isn't running).

I had thought you meant that the main 1Password window was being opened when you booted into Windows. But it sounds like that's not the case, only that 1Password is being started and appears in the notification area. Is that correct? If so, this is working as designed. The browser starts the Native Messaging connection when launched, which in turn runs 1Password so it can connect. But 1Password should only be run in the notification area (instead of opening a new browser tab to launch the app) when this happens, so if you're seeing something different be sure to let me know.

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

I do mean the main window is showing :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kop48: Dang it! Thanks for clarifying. That's what I thought at first, but I'd convinced myself that I'd made an assumption. Well, back to the drawing board! :lol:

So...that kind of brings us back to a couple hours ago. This is what we know then:

1. The main 1Password window is opening when you boot into Windows
    2. 1Password is not set to start with Windows (at this point), either in the app (Settings > Options > General) or in Task Manager
    3. 1Password being launched with Windows (using the above method) will launch only in the notification area
    4. 1Password seems to be opening as if you'd launched it yourself, displaying the full window

So it sounds like something else is launching 1Password, and that seems to be Chrome. But just to cover our bases, take a look at your Startup folder and msconfig to see if 1Password is in there for some reason. Do you have any 3rd party apps that could be triggering it? Finally, do you maybe have an old installation of 1Password hanging around? Take a look in installed programs. It may help to simply uninstall the app and install a fresh copy, in case there's something from a previous version. Let me know!

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

You could also use Autoruns and see what is launching on startup: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

• Hi guys,

Autoruns is definitely a useful diagnostics tool to have, it would be nice to see what it says. The thing about the Native Messaging host is that we run it with /silent parameter, so there is no reason it should ever launch the main window, it will always start 1Password in the notification area. However, the websocket implementation does not use that parameter because it opens the main window via a system registry call.

@kop48, it will help us a bit if you can email us your 1Password diagnostics report if you're running 1Password 6.6.416 beta version. We have a few theories of what this could be but there are too many variables, so the diagnostics report may help us steer to the right theory.

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

It's not been happening on recent reboots, so it might have been limited to a single Beta build. Do you still want the report?

• Hi @kop48,

Yes, there's a chance there is enough archived logs to know what could've happened.

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

@MikeT Ok it just reproed. I sent you the report.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017

@kop48: I'm not seeing a new message from this address in our inbox, but if you'll post the Support ID here we can track it down. Thanks in advance! :)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

@kop48: Found your report! :+1: We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks again!

ref: ZTE-13665-733

• Hi @Kop48,

Can you give 1Password 6.6 beta 6 a try now, see if it fixes your issue.

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

@MikeT it seems to have fixed it!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear it. We're here if you need anything else. Appreciate you participating in the beta! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.