To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1Password Vault information has not carried over to my new user account on my Mac

notlob
notlob
Community Member

With respect to the Title above, I cannot find a sync button on the 1Password Preferences page. My iPhone and iPad are synced with the information but I couldn't see how to sync it with the Mac.
I am also looking at subscribing to a 1Password account as I think this may be easier. I currently have a "frozen" account. I would be looking at possible a Family account too. Thank you

1Password Version: 1Password 6 AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Version 6.7.1 (671001)
OS Version: OS 10.11.7 El Capitan
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:1Password Vault info has not carried over to my new user account on my Mac

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@notlob: While it won't be possible once your account is frozen (it will be read-only until you subscribe), it's important to note that there is no sync configuration for a 1Password.com account.

It sounds like you're syncing the data in 1Password on your iPad and iPhone via iCloud. Is that correct? If so, this is not connected to your 1Password.com account. If you sign in to your account in 1Password.com, do you have the same data there? Is all of your data there? Let me know and we'll work through this to get everything setup the way you want it. Thanks in advance! :)

• notlob
    notlob
    Community Member

My apologies for the delay and thanks for getting back to me Brenty. I mostly use iCloud for everything and I think I have used it for 1Password?!

With respect to the 'Frozen' 1Password account, originally I had signed up for the subscription but decided it was not really worth it so cancelled the subscription... hence the 'frozen' account. I am rethinking that now and figure a Family subscription to the 1Password might be the way to go.

So first things first I guess, I need to get this vault on my Mac the same as on my iPhone and iPad. What would the best way of doing that? Thanks for your help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@notlob: Just to clarify, it sounds like you have all of your data in the Primary vault sync'd with iCloud currently. Is that correct?

If you'd like to go with 1Password Families, there are two good options depending on your answer:

• Convert your individual(?) account to a family plan: sign in to 1Password.com in your browser and select "Invite People" in your account menu in the upper right. This is a good option if the answer to the above was "no", as you already have your data in this account. That will save you the trouble of moving anything, and subscribing will immediately unfreeze your account.
    • Sign up for a new 1Password Families account: the end result is the same, but if you have outdated information in the previous account you setup, it may be best to start over fresh and migrate your data. This is a good option of you answered "yes" above.

That may be enough, but if you need any help working out the details, just shoot us an email at support@1password.com and post the Support ID you receive here so we can go more in depth with your setup and help you get things sorted out. :)

• notlob
    notlob
    Community Member

Hi Brent,
    I seem to have my 1Password Primary vault sync'd between my iPad and iPhone...the 1Password on my Mac does not seem to be synced. I am sure that there something very basic that I am just not doing :(

• notlob
    notlob
    Community Member

It sounds like I need to sign up for a new 1Password Families account (I think the frozen one is individual). Once I have done that, I would probably have to go onto my iPad or iPhone and migrate the info from THAT 1Password vault to the new 1Password Family account? Would this be the way to go?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@notlob: No problem! There are two ways of approaching this, depending on how you'd like to proceed:

If you just want to get started with a 1Password Families plan:

1. Convert your account ("Invite People")
    2. Setup your subscription (to unfreeze it)
    3. Migrate your data in 1Password for Mac from your Primary vault to the Personal/Private vault in your 1Password.com account
    4. Delete 1Password from your other devices, install a fresh copy from the App Store, and sign into your account

If you're not quite ready to go with 1Password Families:

Which method are you using to sync your data between your iOS devices currently? You should be able to setup the same thing in 1Password for Mac. Let me know and I can help with that too. :)

• notlob
    notlob
    Community Member

Hmmm! The problem is that my other devices have the vaults that have all of the correct info. This one on my Mac does not. If I delete the other vaults on the other devices, I will lose all of my passwords won't I?

I started to open a 1Passwords Families account but for some reason it does not like my Key password that I put in. I copied this from an email that I received from Agilebits last year...so I still need to resolve that too.

• notlob
    notlob
    Community Member

If I go with your last option, how do I get the setup on this Mac the same as the other devices? I thought it would have carried through OK.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hmmm! The problem is that my other devices have the vaults that have all of the correct info. This one on my Mac does not. If I delete the other vaults on the other devices, I will lose all of my passwords won't I?

@notlob: Ah, thanks for letting me know. You won't lose anything, but it does change how you should proceed. Instead, you'd need to do the migration process on your iPad or iPhone:

1. Convert your account ("Invite People")
    2. Setup your subscription (to unfreeze it)
    3. Migrate your data in 1Password for Mac from your Primary vault to the Personal/Private vault in your 1Password.com account
    4. Rather than deleting the app on your Mac, simply go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data, and then setup the app with your account

I started to open a 1Passwords Families account but for some reason it does not like my Key password that I put in. I copied this from an email that I received from Agilebits last year...so I still need to resolve that too.

Your account credentials are never sent via email, as we never have them and that wouldn't be secure anyway. It sounds like you're trying to use a license key you purchased. This is used to to register the app and isn't needed for an account. With 1Password.com all you need to do is login to your account in the app using the Sign In URL, email address, Master Password, and Secret Key from when you created the account. Do you have your Emergency Kit?

If I go with your last option, how do I get the setup on this Mac the same as the other devices? I thought it would have carried through OK.

With a 1Password.com membership, it does work that way: you simply login to your account on each device to access your data — no sync configuration required. But with the standalone 1Password apps, nothing syncs unless you set it to. Which sync method are you using on your iPad and iPhone? It stands to reason that setting it up the same on your Mac will allow that to work there as well.

• notlob
    notlob
    Community Member

Which sync method are you using on your iPad and iPhone? It stands to reason that setting it up the same on your Mac will allow that to work there as well.

On all of my devices, I am hooked up to iCloud and presumably they sync together through this. I can't understand why the Mac 1Password hasn't synced the same information on my Mac.

Just to confuse the issue even further, I may have set up another 1Password account in addition to the old frozen one. I think I managed to activate my old 'frozen' account as I found the Key etc. in an old email from last year....and I used that email address.. I also printed out the Emergency Kit. However prior to that, I had tried to set up a NEW Family account with a slightly different name, but when setting it up, it asked for my email address, the key password and the master password and rejected those. So, not sure where to go now i.e. not sure if I have opened up any account at all...though I think the first 'old' one is OK...it is not a Family 1Password account which is what I want.

My apologies for the confusion I am causing :(

• notlob
    notlob
    Community Member

Hello Brent
    Geez! I think I'm starting to make a little sense of it. I have successfully managed to open up my old 'frozen' account which is now a Family 1Password account...yay! I did try to set up an account with another email address...NOT the one that I had registered the 1Password account with. Anyway am trying to sort that out with support. I will try and follow the rest of you suggestions in getting the info moved over

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On all of my devices, I am hooked up to iCloud and presumably they sync together through this. I can't understand why the Mac 1Password hasn't synced the same information on my Mac.

@notlob: Confusingly, simply having iCloud on a device doesn't set it up for all apps. If you're still unsure about this, go to 1Password Preferences/Settings > Sync on each device and see how you have it configured.

My apologies for the confusion I am causing :(

Not your fault in the least. It's ours. It's always tough to transition to a new way of doing things, and I'm sorry where this has caused you trouble. But once we get things setup for you it will be much easier going forward.

Hello Brent Geez! I think I'm starting to make a little sense of it. I have successfully managed to open up my old 'frozen' account which is now a Family 1Password account...yay! I did try to set up an account with another email address...NOT the one that I had registered the 1Password account with. Anyway am trying to sort that out with support. I will try and follow the rest of you suggestions in getting the info moved over

That's awesome! A great way to verify you're on the right track once you've migrated your data is to login to 1Password.com in your browser. If you see all of your data there, and see the same thing in each of the apps, you should be all set. Let me know how you get along! :)

• notlob
    notlob
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

Hi Brent, thanks for your info so far! I have successfully managed to 'unfreeze' my account and subscribe to a Family 1Password account! I can open it on both my iPhone and MacBook.(haven't tried the iPad yet but I think it will work). It should be easy to move the info from my standalone vault to this new 1Password Account. I tried following the steps you listed above by following the steps below from the "Migrate your data...." but grind to a halt thereafter. Because all of my data is on the iPhone, I open my Primary vault on my iPhone but it just gives me "sync" info and the number of data files I have in there. There is no migrate button or move button. Stumped! Below is from on of your helpful suggestions earlier on in the conversation and this is what i have been trying to follow. Much appreciate your help!

"Ah, thanks for letting me know. You won't lose anything, but it does change how you should proceed. Instead, you'd need to do the migration process on your iPad or iPhone:

Convert your account ("Invite People")
    Setup your subscription (to unfreeze it)
    Migrate your data in 1Password for Mac from your Primary vault to the Personal/Private vault in your 1Password.com account
    Rather than deleting the app on your Mac, simply go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data, and then setup the app with your account"

ref: FNE-14776-731

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Because all of my data is on the iPhone, I open my Primary vault on my iPhone but it just gives me "sync" info and the number of data files I have in there. There is no migrate button or move button. Stumped! Below is from on of your helpful suggestions earlier on in the conversation and this is what i have been trying to follow. Much appreciate your help!

@notlob: Thanks for following up! It sounds like you still need to login to your 1Password.com account in 1Password on your iPhone. Is that correct? When you do so, it should give you the option to migrate your existing data. You can do this in 1Password Settings > Accounts. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• notlob
    notlob
    Community Member

Hi Brent, yes I have logged into my 1password account on my iPhone! It does not give me the option to migrate my data! It just takes me to my 'empty' 1password account! Any further help in this is greatly appreciated!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@notlob: Thanks for letting me know. Between this and your previous comments, it sounds like you now have the following setup on your iPhone:

1. Primary vault with all of your data
    2. 1Password.com account Personal/Private vault that is empty

If that's correct, just do the following:

1. Tap the rainbow All Vaults icon in the top left
    2. Select your Primary vault
    3. View All Items
    4. Pull down on the list to expose show the very top
    5. Tap Select Items
    6. Tap the spot at the top to the left of "Move" (will be grey) to select all
    7. Tap Move (will be blue) and select Personal/Private as the destination

You'll now have no items in Primary and everything in your 1Password.com account's Personal/Private vault. You can confirm everything is there by logging into 1Password.com in your browser. There are a few more steps we'll need to do to finish up, but I want to make sure all is well with this first. Let me know!

• notlob
    notlob
    Community Member

I think I've done it I had to copy them to the 'shared' folder as the 'personal' one is greyed out! On checking, I see 263 items in that shared folder on the1password account... which is good!

Am off to bed now so will check more thoroughly tomorrow! Thanks for all your help and patience Brenty! It is very much appreciated!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@notlob: Any time! However, if "Personal" was greyed out, it sounds like you may have already had your data there. You've copied it to the Shared vault, which is part of your 1Password.com account, but just keep in mind that this will be available to other family members you invite as well (unless you remove them from it).

Please login to 1Password.com in your browser and see where you're at. If you're satisfied that everything is there, you can follow this guide for each device to start over:

How to erase your 1Password data and start over

Then, when you open 1Password afterward, login to your 1Password.com account and you'll be all set — you'll have the same data on all of your devices.

If you need help moving data out of the Shared vault, just let me know. It's much easier on a Mac, and if you do this you'll probably want to empty the Trash afterward. Cheers! :)

• notlob
    notlob
    Community Member

Hi Brenty, Yes...it looks like it has worked! I have the data in the Personal folder now, zippo in the Shared folder, I notice that there is nothing in Primary anymore...which is obviously due to when I clicked the 'move' data from Primary to Personal!!. iPad is also working 100% with the info! Thanks very much for your help again Brenty. Very much appreciated! Onward and upward!

Hope you have a great day and weekend, All the best

Ray

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@notlob: Awesome! It sounds like you're almost there. The last thing I'd suggest is starting over on each device so that you have the same exact setup everywhere, without the superfluous Primary vault. You have a great weekend too! :)

• notlob
    notlob
    Community Member
  • notlob
    notlob
    Community Member
  • @notlob Your last two posts are blank. Could you try posting then again please?

• notlob
    notlob
    Community Member

Not sure why... I was just mentioning in those posts that I would follow Brenty's last suggestion to check all my devices to make sure I have the exact same setup! Cheers

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No problem. We're here if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.