Restore from Backup on Dropbox

Options
romski
romski
Community Member

Hi, I have noticed that some logins were missing and thought I would restore from backup. The only backups available to me are in "~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups". I use Dropbox to sync across 3 macs and an iphone. There appear to be more complete backups in Dropbox from a week agao, but they are in the agile keychain format and cant be used for a restore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.5.90
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @romski,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help!

An Agile Keychain isn't a backup file - it's a sync file used to copy changes between your devices via Dropbox. It should contain the same data as the vault it syncs. If you need to restore from a backup, open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences > Backup. You can select one of the backups shown there and click Restore.

However, depending on the situation, you might not need to restore from a backup. Are those Login items missing from all four of your devices, or do they still exist on at least one of them? If you still have those items in 1Password on at least one device, it sounds like this might be a sync problem. Try checking your sync settings on each device:

On each Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar.
    • Click the Sync tab.
    • Make sure it shows your Primary vault is set to sync with Dropbox.
    • If it shows a different sync option or says None, set up sync with Dropbox by following the steps here: Sync with Dropbox (Mac)
    • If Dropbox is already enabled in the sync preferences, check the file name and file path for the sync file in Dropbox.

On your iPhone:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Primary.
    • Make sure it shows the Sync Service is Dropbox.
    • If it shows a different sync service or says Start Syncing, set up sync with Dropbox by following the steps here: Sync with Dropbox (iOS)
    • If Dropbox is already enabled in the sync settings, tap "Sync Service" and check the file name and file path for the sync file in Dropbox (underneath Current Sync Method / Dropbox).

The problem could be that one or more devices is not currently syncing with Dropbox, or that it's pointing to a different sync file than the others. Let us know how it goes and what you find, and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• romski
    romski
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG,

Thanks for the response.

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I wanted to check each install and they are at different locations.

The items are missing from each device. In case I didn't explain myself properly, my Dropbox has a folder called "Backups". The latest of the files inside is named "1Password 2017-05-17 192749 (479 items).agilekeychain_zip". I thought this would be a backup containing 479 items. The machine I am currently at, has an in-app backup from 12 May containing 444 items. I was hoping that the Dropbox file had missing items I can restore - is that not the case?

As an aside, each is set to sync using Dropbox.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @romski,

No problem at all for the delay! Thank you for clarifying about the backup, that helps to explain things a bit. The "1Password 2017-05-17 192749 (479 items).agilekeychain_zip" file looks like a backup from 1Password 3. In that version, an Agile Keychain file was the main database for the app, and backup files were zipped copies of the Agile Keychain. (In versions 4 and higher, the Agile Keychain format is only used for syncing purposes, and the main database & backup files are in a different format.)

In 1Password 3, it was possible to change the location for backups, so my guess is that were using 1Password 3 on at least one of your Macs at some point in the past, and you had changed the backup location to your Dropbox folder. You're using 1Password 6 now, but the name of that 1Password 3 backup file is very recent. So it sounds like the 1Password 3 app (or at least a leftover component from 1Password 3) is still installed on one of your Macs and making backups.

Now, that's not a problem at all, but I wanted to explain that in order to give you an idea of what those backup files are and where they came from. The good news is that you can definitely retrieve the data from that backup file to see if it contains your missing items. The best way to do that is to keep your current vault (Primary) the way it is now, and use the backup file to create a secondary vault. If that vault contains the missing Logins, you can copy them to the Primary vault (then delete the secondary vault, since you'll no longer need it).

Before doing that, make a new backup of your current data by opening 1Password and going to File > Backup. Then you can continue with these steps:

1. For convenience, copy the "1Password 2017-05-17 192749 (479 items).agilekeychain_zip" file to the Desktop.
    2. Right-click on that file and choose Rename, then change _zip to .zip (just replace _ with . and click "Use .zip" when prompted).
    3. Double-click the file to unzip it.
    4. Double-click the new "1Password 2017-05-17 192749 (479 items).agilekeychain" file.
    5. 1Password 6 should prompt you to create a new vault and will ask for the master password for that .agilekeychain file (it's probably the same one you use now unless you've changed it since using 1Password 3).

Once the vault has been added, 1Password 6 should switch to that vault and show you the 479 items it contains. If it has the missing Login items (and assuming you know which ones they are), you can copy them to your Primary vault (select one or more items and go to Item > Share > Primary > Copy).

If all goes well and you now have all the missing items back in your Primary vault, you can delete the secondary vault you added since you shouldn't need it any more. While that secondary vault is selected in 1Password, go to 1Password > Delete [vault name] Vault in the menu bar.

Please let us know how it all goes and if you have any questions or run into any trouble with that. Thanks! :)

• romski
    romski
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG,

My apologies - I realised that I never updated my result!

Thank you, this did indeed work and helped me to recover my items. I wonder if you have any ideas why the items had disappeared? You mentioned that there may be a component of 1Password 3 creating the backups and I wonder whether that may be causing me problems (although in this instance it appears to have been helpful).

Thanks once again for your help.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @romski!

1Password 6 will actually continue to create backups for you:

1Password backups

Unfortunately I don't have any guesses as to why these items disappeared.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.