1Password and Ubuntu

Comments

• AdamAnon
    AdamAnon
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

I found a solution: Enpass. Since Agilebits have been dragging their feet with Linux support (and Windows improvement) I'm going to switch to Enpass. Even if I don't end up switching to Linux, Enpass is a much better appfor Windows. Enpass is free for desktop use, has nice GUI (even on Windows as opposed to 1Password which is awful on Windows) and has support for all major cloud providers. The mobile app is $10 per platform. So far I have not found any major drawbacks to Enpass. It imports 1Password vault beautifully too.

AgileBits Update, 6-Jul-2017:

Hello everyone! We've started beta testing a new addition to our 1Password family: a brand new Chrome extension made especially for our Linux and Chrome OS users! To learn about how you can be invited to this private beta testing, please see this announcement:

A Present for Chrome OS and Linux Users

Cheers! :smile:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AdamAnon: While I understand that you've decided that Linux is now critical to your workflow and we don't have a native app for you there, the AgileBits support forum isn't a platform for promoting other companies' products. You're welcome to come here, just keep that in mind going forward.

But I'm glad if you've found a tool that fits your changing needs. We'd rather you use another password manager than none at all. Stay safe out there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017

@dfc: First of all, thank you for the kind words, and for your support! We couldn't develop and support 1Password on the platforms we do without you and the rest of our awesome customers. :chuffed:

While I feel that "holding me hostage" is a bit of a melodramatic and unfair statement, I understand where you're coming from. 1Password is indispensable for me as well, and it would definitely be difficult for me to change my workflow to move to something else. And quite frankly, I don't want to! So I'm glad that I can use the 1Password.com web interface now on Linux and ChromeOS — and nearly anything else with a browser. But I would also be much happier with a native app.

I disagree that privacy and security are an issue here, because our model and the technologies we use to protect your data — and ours — doesn't depend on borders or politics. But you're right that some people want to be able to use 1Password on Linux and, even though the OS is free, be willing to pay us for our work if we release an app on that platform. Thanks for letting us know how important this is to you! :)

• dfc
    dfc
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for your response.

You might have understood me wrong on my statement on security and privacy. I've read your whitepaper and I did not at all want to say anything about your security model. All I wanted to say is that you as a password manager company may attract customers that are more concerned/aware about security and/or privacy than the average Joe. The kind of people that would also gravitate to operating systems like Linux, more than the average does. Therefore it makes a lot of sense to explore that niche in my opinion.

"Holding me hostage" sure is a bit harsh (and a bit of a hyperbole), but that's the way I felt when I was about to purge Windows and switch to Linux until I remembered that I won't be able to use 1Password then. That said I totally understand why you do not have a Linux client yet and as a software developer myself I know full well that developing one is a hard thing.

I first used 1Password on my Macbook and loved to be able to use TouchID. I was then very disappointed about the state of the Windows client on my desktop. A few month later a big patch came and the complains were gone. I'm very happy with the work you put into that. The missing Linux client is literally the only complaint I still have (although it's very important to me).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brenty Thanks for your response. You might have understood me wrong on my statement on security and privacy. I've read your whitepaper and I did not at all want to say anything about your security model. All I wanted to say is that you as a password manager company may attract customers that are more concerned/aware about security and/or privacy than the average Joe. The kind of people that would also gravitate to operating systems like Linux, more than the average does. Therefore it makes a lot of sense to explore that niche in my opinion.

@dfc: You're totally right of course. Sorry for misunderstanding! :blush:

"Holding me hostage" sure is a bit harsh (and a bit of a hyperbole), but that's the way I felt when I was about to purge Windows and switch to Linux until I remembered that I won't be able to use 1Password then. That said I totally understand why you do not have a Linux client yet and as a software developer myself I know full well that developing one is a hard thing.

Hyperbole I get, as there are definitely strong feelings involved when we're talking about something we use to secure our most sensitive (and personal) data! I tried to communicate that, but I apologize that I didn't articulate that well. :(

I first used 1Password on my Macbook and loved to be able to use TouchID. I was then very disappointed about the state of the Windows client on my desktop. A few month later a big patch came and the complains were gone. I'm very happy with the work you put into that. The missing Linux client is literally the only complaint I still have (although it's very important to me).

Thank you for that. It's really good to hear that the progress we're making has had a real impact for you! But I sincerely hope that if you have another "complaint" about any of our software that you'll let us know. Getting feedback from users has really helped us get the new Windows app to a point where it is today. It doesn't have everything we all want yet, but it's able to be used by many people daily now. And while we can't take on an all new platform at this time, it's good to know that Linux is the one you'd like us to tackle next. Cheers! :)

• dgraham238
    dgraham238
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

Hey Guys, we really need 1password on Ubuntu/Linux Mint. I'm a developer and a lot of developers use Linux. 1Password is very useful for a developer, but if you don't support Linux, then you are losing a big part of the market. Help us out guys, thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Good point. Thanks for letting us know how important this is to you as well. :)

• joadr
    joadr
    Community Member

I'm a developer using Linux (so I give a +1 to the cause) and I truly understand when you say you don't have enough resources for developing the Linux app. How expensive would it be to make the Chrome extension work on Linux? Have you guys made the calculation?

• Frank
    edited May 2017

Hi @joadr - Thank you for letting us know this is something you would like to see in the future. I'm not entirely sure to be completely honest with you but if I did know, I wouldn't be able to share this information here. I hope you understand. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your request with us. As Brenty mentioned previously in this thread -

While we don't have any plans currently to build a new "standalone" browser extension, as that's a huge undertaking both from a development and security perspective, thanks for letting us know you'd like an additional option (apart from the 1Password.com web interface) on Linux.

If anything changes, we'll make sure to update everyone here. Sorry for not having a better answer to your questions at the moment. Thanks again for stopping by and enjoy the rest of your day :smile:

• btoconnor
    btoconnor
    Community Member

+1 on Linux. Was about to pull the trigger on a family plan but I use Linux and I'm not going to go through the web interface every time. I was fine just using the extension, but it looks like you need the app, which I can't get on Ubuntu.

Will have to hold off until that's a thing.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@btoconnor the subscription is great on my Ubuntu laptop. I have it saved as a shortcut on my side bar and it's just like loggin into my vault on my MacBook. I just copy/paste and I'm in any website I want. I just can't auto fill, but it's a lot easier not having the subscription at all. To me, this is definitely a selling point for the subscription.

Using Linux, you have to use work around a lot.

• btoconnor
    btoconnor
    Community Member

@prime I hear you. I've been using Linux for a long, long time and I've made due with many workarounds over the years.

1password looks like a great product, and I use it at work and am very happy (on a mac). But this thread doesn't seem like it's going to pick up much steam from a Linux client perspective, and I totally get that. The Linux population isn't that high and the payoff isn't that big. It's about opportunity cost. It makes sense.

I'm just not super crazy at the idea of giving money for a solution that has no intention of supporting my workflow with something as crucial as passwords. Who knows, maybe I'll take your tip and use it as a bookmark. I'm just not super crazy about it, is all.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm just not super crazy at the idea of giving money for a solution that has no intention of supporting my workflow with something as crucial as passwords.

@btoconnor: I couldn't agree more. If I was a full-time Linux user, I wouldn't have gone with 1Password. I really hope we can branch out in the future, but we all have to use the tool that fits our needs best. It's not a perfect analogy, but I wouldn't want to pay for the Xbox version of a game if I only have a Playstation. :blush:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@btoconnor you might be a person I like to know :)
    I just started using Ubuntu again and it's an old version on an old laptop. I like it and wanting to try something new, so far, so good.

I think AgileBits has a deal going on and you get 4 months for free. Something to think about and enough time to see if it's worth it, and can work for you.

• Thank you Prime for sharing your use case. :+1:

• grevory
    grevory
    Community Member

+1 to Linux. I want to use 1Password. It's secure, easy to use, and affordably priced. But I cannot commit to using it because 2 of the 4 household computers are using Ubuntu. I cannot even use the browser extension!

I would think that Linux users are generally the tech savvy sort looking for services like this. Seems like it should be a priority from the outside looking in.

I love the Android app btw.

• Hi @grevory - Thank you for the feedback and letting us know this is important to you. It's great to hear you're enjoying 1Password on Android :smile:

I would think that Linux users are generally the tech savvy sort looking for services like this. Seems like it should be a priority from the outside looking in.

Indeed you're right, Linux users are generally tech savvy :+1: But this is a huge undertaking both from a development and security perspective and we can only work on so many projects at the same time. This has to be done right :smile: Sorry for not having a better answer for you at the moment. If we have an update or any news to share in the future, we'll make sure to update you here.

• ryanisnan
    ryanisnan
    Community Member

I'm here just to put some heat on the team for shipping a Linux client :)

• pythonian4000
    pythonian4000
    Community Member

In the meantime, there has been some progress towards identifying the bugs preventing 1Password 6 from running under Wine:

• @ryanisnan Consider your interest noted! :)

@pythonian4000 Interesting to note the progress being made here, I’ll see that our development team is up on these latest updates.

• rdbell
    rdbell
    Community Member

As others have said previously, I'd also pay extra for a Linux version.

Seems like myself and many others need this badly.

• Thanks for the feedback, @rdbell. :)

Ben

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

Hope this comes soon!!! I just bit the bullet and ordered a System 76 laptop :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prime: Probably not, but the 1Password.com web interface works...and I'm sure you'll have a great time with the new laptop no matter what! :lol: :+1:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty that is true :)

• Hrmm... I hadn't heard of System 76. Those look interesting. :)

Rick

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@rickfillion I know very little, but I want to learn. I've been playing with a old version on Ubuntu on a Toshiba and very excited to have this new laptop when it comes. It's how I learned Mac, I just bought one and learned on the fly.

• Same here. I wasn't supposed to actually like my Mac. I just bought my first iBook to run Debian on it. A month later I was selling off all of my Linux hardware (I had a really cool Alpha processor based workstation) and learning Cocoa as quickly as I could.

Lately I've been getting the itch to go back to that world.

Rick

• Razva
    Razva
    Community Member

I've moved from my last ( :p ) password manager a couple of months ago. Convinced my wife to move her stuff as well. Now I just found out - the hard way - that there's no Linux support. Ouch.

Is there any ETA for this or should I go back to my last password manager 'till 1pass gets more "mainstrean"? Appreciate your reply. :)

• grevory
    grevory
    Community Member

Out of naive curiousity, are the development requirements for using the browser extensions on Linux high? I would be très happy with a browser extension.

Based on your Github account it looks like you have devs who work in Golang. Go is easily compiled for Ubuntu if tech stack happens to be an obstacle. Sorry, now I'm speaking out of my other hole. I have not built anything like this before.

This discussion has been closed.