1Password stops filling credentials in Safari (crash?)

1Password 6.6.4 started doing this: it stops responding to keyboard shortcut requests to fill in credentials in windows opened in Safari 9.1.2. When this happens, there's no response to keyboard shortcut on a previously known website - nothing happens, credentials aren't entered. If I go to the 1P icon in the tool bar, the website is in the list and can be entered. If I restart the Safari, it all works...until it stops again. Also, during the problem, if I run the main application, the keyboard shortcut becomes responsive again.

What is going on and how can this be fixed? I have NEVER encountered this problem on previous versions of 1P.

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.6.4 (664002) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Slobie Taboobie,

Sorry for the trouble - perhaps there is a keyboard shortcut conflict with another app on your Mac - this might explain why opening the main 1Password when this happens resolves the problem. You can test this out by changing the 1Password filling keyboard shortcut to something else temporarily to see if it resolves the conflict. To try this out:

1. Open 1Password and from the menubar, choose 1Password > Preferences > General tab.
    2. In the "Keyboard Shortcuts" section, click the button that says ⌘\ (next to the text "Fill Login on current web page") which will allow you to choose a new shortcut.

You can change this back afterwards once we figure out which app is conflicting (that is of course if this does resolve the problem).

3. Try changing it to something like ⌘⇧⌥F and then see if the problem still occurs.

Let me know how this goes.

Matthew

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Thanks Slobie. :chuffed:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Slobie Taboobie,

I'm wondering if the extension has somehow become disconnected from 1Password. The reason for this thought is that when you use the keyboard shortcut 1Password has to send a message to the extension to kickstart proceedings. If it doesn't receive a reply I suspect it would result in your observed behaviour of nothing happening. When you click on the extension button in your browser though this causes the extension to send a message to 1Password and if it isn't connected to try and connect. The extension is the one that has to initiate this though because of what is and isn't allowed by extensions.

If the issue is happening consistently I would be interested in seeing a couple of diagnostic reports. It would go something like this.

1. Wait for the issue to appear where the keyboard shortcut ⌘\ does nothing.
    2. Create a diagnostic report.
    3. Click on the 1Password Browser Extension button and confirm you can fill.
    4. Create a second diagnostic report.

A diagnostic report contains a number of details about your Mac but also the logs. The two diagnostic reports will make it easy to see what was happening at the time of the occurrence and what changed. Of course this relies on it happening frequently enough that you don't forget to create the diagnostic reports. I say that as somebody with a terrible memory at times.

This link will guide you through the steps on creating a diagnostic report. The tool can be downloaded in advance so it's ready for when it next happens.

For 1Password on your Mac

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+extension@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Slobie Taboobie ,

I haven't been able to find the report you sent in based on the email address you signed up to the forum with (don't worry, only AgileBits team members have access to this for matching support requests with forum posts).

You should have received a identifier in the form of a code like this [ARG-83354-678]. Could you check your email to see if you can spot that and let us know here if you find it?

Looking forward to hearing back.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017

Hey @Slobie Taboobie,

Thanks - I found it now and can see your two Diagnostics Report attached, we will be in touch with you shortly via email once we investigate.

Matthew

ref: IEN-49224-261

• chrfe
    chrfe
    Community Member

I have the same problem with Chrome. Is there a solution for this problem?

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@chrfe Is the issue only with keyboard shortcuts for you or is 1Password just not working more generally? Could you let us know a little more about the problem you're having?

• When you open Chrome, do you see the 1Password button in the toolbar?
    • What happens if you click the toolbar button?
    • If you visit the sign in page on a site for which you have a Login saved and click the button, does that Login show in the list that pops up?
    • If you see the Login, what happens if you select it?

Thanks!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• chrfe
    chrfe
    Community Member

This problem doesn't occur always. I don't exactly know how to reproduce it. Sometimes 1Password works without any errors.
    Maybe this helps:

When you open Chrome, do you see the 1Password button in the toolbar?
    Yes

What happens if you click the toolbar button?
    I can select an Login

If you visit the sign in page on a site for which you have a Login saved and click the button, does that Login show in the list that pops up?
    yes

If you see the Login, what happens if you select it?
    Nothing, the Login won't fill out the login form.

I found the following workaround:
    If I reload the page. On my Mac (CMD+R) everything works as expected again.

If I can help you to solve the problem let me know.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017

Hey @chrfe,

This does sounds like something we've discovered recently and are investigating. Could you confirm which version of 1Password you have please?

Also if you encounter this issue again, please open the JavaScript Console in Chrome (from the menubar click "View" > "Developer" > "JavaScript Console"). The a new section should appear on the right hand side of your Chrome window and may display an error. Please copy and paste this error in your reply if you see it.

Looking forward to hearing back. If you've any questions just let me know too.

Best regards,
    Matthew

ref: OPX-1361

• chrfe
    chrfe
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

1Password 6
    Version 6.7 (670007)
    AgileBits Store

1Password Beta 4.6.5.2
    1Password extension for Google Chrome

Error in event handler for runtime.onMessage: TypeError: Cannot set property '__0' of undefined
    at chrome-extension://phicbbndgmmpogmijjkbmdhpioaieaha/end.min.js:77:487
    at T (chrome-extension://phicbbndgmmpogmijjkbmdhpioaieaha/end.min.js:77:210)
    at Pa (chrome-extension://phicbbndgmmpogmijjkbmdhpioaieaha/end.min.js:37:53)
    at Ma (chrome-extension://phicbbndgmmpogmijjkbmdhpioaieaha/end.min.js:34:120)
    at chrome-extension://phicbbndgmmpogmijjkbmdhpioaieaha/end.min.js:43:224

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @chrfe,

This confirms what I suspected - thank you for checking this. We are working on a fix for this at the moment so hopefully we'll resolve this in upcoming release of our extension. I don't have a timeline for when we'll be releasing it though.

Whenever you get into this scenario, the workaround should be to reload the web page you're on and filling should work again.

Let me know if that helps or if we can be of further assistance.

Best regards,
    Matthew

ref: OPX-1361

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Slobie Taboobie,

It is possible that it could be the cause of the issue you noticed too. Do you find that when you encounter this, that reloading the web page helps?

You can check if you also see the same errors that chrfe reported if you look at the JavaScript console in Safari. To do this:

1. Temporarily enable "Developer Mode" in Safari. From the menu bar, choose Safari > Preferences, click Advanced, then select “Show Develop menu in menu bar.”

There will be a new "Develop" item added to the menu bar.

2. Then when this issue occurs in Safari, from the menubar click "Develop" > "Show Error Console".

A new section should appear within the Safari web page and may display an error. Please copy and paste this error in your reply if you see it.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @chrfe & @Slobie Taboobie,

We've just released a new beta, 4.6.6.BETA-1 that includes an attempt to fix this issue (that's assuming in the end you were both being caught by the same thing).

If you're interested in helping us confirm if it helps the following will allow you to test the new beta.

1. Uninstall the existing 1Password Browser Extension installed in your browser.
    2. Restart your browser. This is to avoid weird caching nonsense.
    3. Download and install the beta from 1Password Browser Extensions.

Now Firefox, Chrome and Chromium browsers like Vivaldi will automatically update the beta as new betas come out. Safari won't, instead you have to manually check for updates by visiting the Extensions tab in Safari's preferences as pending extension updates will be listed there for extensions that didn't come from the Safari Extension Gallery.

If you're willing I'd love to hear if this beta helps at all. The issue wasn't as simple as a bug but this weird intermittent behaviour where we'd set something and then it disappeared on us later. So we approached the entire task from a slightly different angle to bypass the weirdness. It looks promising but I'd love to hear from those that suffered the issue as to whether the new beta is effective.

• chrfe
    chrfe
    Community Member

Thx, my chrome now uses the current beta version. I will give you feedback.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

:+1:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Slobie Taboobie,

It looks like whatever is happening for you is different from the others. As it may very well end up in another diagnostic report request I will email from the existing ticket.

This discussion has been closed.