How can I share passwords with 1Password 6.7.1 as I did with the older 1Password versions ?

Options
antila
antila
Community Member
edited May 2017 in Mac

Hi,

How can I share passwords with 1Password 6.7.1 (Standalone version) as I did with the older 1Password versions ?
For example older versions have the feature 1PasswordAnywhere which it´s not available in the new version.
I don´t think there is any other similar feature in the standalone version so we must assume that with this update we lose some functionalities witch is not good.
To get similar I think we need to go to Families witch is a different product.
Other functionality that I am missing from the previous version is the Auto-fill feature that I post in the following post.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/78841/where-is-the-context-menu-auto-fill-option-in-1password-6-7-1

I hope that you stop dropping functionalities in next updates for clients that want to keep on a more secure version (standalone).
Thanks

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.5.90
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @antila,

Thank you for writing in with your questions & feedback!

How can I share passwords with 1Password 6.7.1 (Standalone version) as I did with the older 1Password versions ?

If you're asking about how to share individual items with someone else, it works the same way now as before: Select an item in the main 1Password app, go to Item > Share from the menu bar, and choose one of the options at the top (such as Mail or Messages).

If you're asking about sharing entire vaults with someone else, the best & easiest way to do that is with 1Password Families. But we haven't removed anything from the standalone app, so that still works the same way as it did before. Were you previously using Dropbox folder sharing to share a 1Password vault with others? If so, you can absolutely still do that, since folder sharing is still a Dropbox feature.

For example older versions have the feature 1PasswordAnywhere which it´s not available in the new version.

The 1PasswordAnywhere feature wasn't a "sharing" feature - it was a way to access your 1Password data from a web browser. 1PasswordAnywhere was an old feature designed years ago (originally around 2008) for 1Password 3. It was built into the old Agile Keychain format, relied on older Dropbox APIs, and had very limited capabilities. It also had much weaker security than the main 1Password apps because 1PasswordAnywhere is a JavaScript app that can easily be modified to do malicious things (although it was a great solution back when security concerns were less severe).

Although 1Password 6 doesn't specifically include support for that feature, 1PasswordAnywhere won't work with older versions either. That's because it relied on other things that are beyond our control which no longer allow it to work. For example, modern browsers have local file restrictions which prevent them from working with 1PasswordAnywhere in a local copy of an Agile Keychain. And for those who used it through the Dropbox.com website, 1PasswordAnywhere stopped working over a year ago when Dropbox needed to make improvements to their security architecture which broke compatibility with 1PasswordAnywhere.

I don´t think there is any other similar feature in the standalone version so we must assume that with this update we lose some functionalities witch is not good.
    To get similar I think we need to go to Families witch is a different product.

I'm not sure if you're referring to the ability to share items or vaults with others, or if you're referring to web access to your 1Password data. If you're referring to sharing, then as I mentioned above, item sharing and vault sharing are still possible when using 1Password as a standalone app - we haven't made any changes to that.

On the other hand, if you're referring to web access to your 1Password data, then as I explained above, that's no longer possible with 1PasswordAnywhere. Please know that there were no changes in 1Password 6.7.1 that were related to 1PasswordAnywhere. Likewise, we didn't go back to remove it from 1Password 3, 4, or 5, but it won't work with those versions either. It's simply an outdated feature that is no longer supported by technologies it relied on (similar to how many apps from 10 years ago won't work on the latest operating systems). The new, fully-featured web app in 1Password.com accounts is far more secure, advanced, and easier to use than 1PasswordAnywhere. It's also something that isn't possible in the standalone app. If your main concern is accessing your 1Password data from a web browser, please know that you can sign up for an account and try it out for free.

Other functionality that I am missing from the previous version is the Auto-fill feature that I post in the following post.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/78841/where-is-the-context-menu-auto-fill-option-in-1password-6-7-1

Just to be clear, no version of 1Password has an "auto-fill" feature - it will only fill your data when you explicitly tell it to do so (for example, by opening a Login item from the main 1Password app, by selecting the Login item from the 1Password browser extension, or by using the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut in the browser). Because sensitive data is involved, we never assume the user just wants us to do something automatically, so we leave the control in the user's hands.

The feature you asked about in the other thread is the 1Password item in the context menu of a web browser. Back in 1Password 3, it used to list Login items in the top level of the contextual menu, so many customers found that useful for filling sign-in forms. When we released 1Password 4 back in 2013, we completely redesigned the 1Password extension, and as a result of that, the context menu item doesn't have the same functionality. However, 1Password can still fill sign-in forms on websites. I like to use the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut, which I think is even easier than using the old context menu option. The other options are also very easy, and you can find more information here: Sign in to sites with 1Password

I hope this helps to clear up some confusion, but if you have more questions about any of that, please let us know. Cheers! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! We're here for you if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.