Can't sign into Mac app or Chrome extension as I can't edit the secret key after resetting it

ramenne
ramenne
Community Member

When I go to Preferences/Accounts in the Mac app, I can see that the secret key is my original, outdated one, but I can't edit it to my new one. My company uses the service, so I'm part of a team, and I used the account recovery option which changed my secret key. I think this is why I can't sign into the app or extension (the screen with the keyhole icon just shakes). I've tried deleting and reinstalling both numerous times. In fact, I've been trying this since January. Please help!

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.6.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:can't sign in to mac app or chrome extension

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ramenne,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with 1Password after going through account recovery!

After someone in your company initiated the account recovery for you, you should have received an email from 1Password with a link to recover your account, which would open a page in your browser where you would get a new Secret Key and create a new master password. It sounds like that part worked as expected?

After you did that, the person who started the recovery would have received an email to let them know, and they would have needed to complete the account recovery. Do you know if they did that? If they did, then you would need to save your new Emergency Kit and also sign into your account again in the 1Password app on each of your devices.

You said you still see the old Secret Key in 1Password > Preferences > Accounts. Is that after signing in again? Or do you mean you haven't been able to sign into your account again in the Mac app? Please let us know the exact steps you're taking and what happens when you do that, and we should have a much better idea of how to help you get things working again. Thanks! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ramenne,

One thing I forgot to mention is that, in case it helps, we have information about how account recovery works here: Recover accounts for family or team members

Also, have you checked with the person at your company who started the recovery process for you? They should be able to confirm whether or not they completed the process on their end after you got a new Secret Key and master password.

This discussion has been closed.