Unable to restore from backup to Primary vault with online account enabled

Options
TimL
TimL
Community Member
edited May 2017 in Mac

Oh dear, oh dear... I MOVED all my data from my primary vault to my online 1PWD account before I realised that the online account doesn't support folders. No problem, I thought, I'll restore from my backup and re-sync and all will be well. Sadly, it seems that I've hit a wall as having restored - or at least having thought I had restored my data, I can't get it to show up in my local 'Primary' vault. All my data is, happily, in my online vault but I'd like to revert to having it in my Primary vault so that I can take advantage of the folder setup I have enjoyed for a long, long time now - either parallel with (i.e. a copy of) my online data or instead of.

Addendum... I have been able to successfully copy all my data from my online account back to my Primary account, so at the moment I have effectively got two copies of everything. Doing that has sadly not synced items into the existing folders in the Primary account - to be expected, I guess - which is why I was hoping to put everything back into the Primary account by use of the 'Restore' facility.

Help would be much appreciated!

TIA,
Tim.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.5
OS Version: MacOS Sierra 10.12.5
Sync Type: Primary Vault > iCloud & Families account syncing
Referrer: forum-search:sync after restore

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TimL,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble trying to restore your Primary vault from a backup in order to get your folders & contents back the way they were before!

In 1Password.com accounts, Folders have been replaced by Tags, which serve the same basic function as folders, plus you can assign multiple tags to each item (whereas an item could only be added to a single folder). Did you use folders in a way that isn't possible with tags?

If you're sure you want to restore your Primary vault from a backup, you should definitely be able to do that. First, make a backup of your current data by going to File > Backup from the menu bar in the 1Password app. That will open the Backup tab in Preferences and also create a new backup. You should also see previous backups in the list - select one from before you migrated your data to your 1Password.com account and click the Restore button. This will replace the current Primary vault with the one from the backup. Your account vault won't be affected by this, although you'll need to add your account to the app again (in 1Password > Preferences > Accounts).

Keep in mind that items in your local Primary vault won't sync with the items in your 1Password.com account vault. So it will be confusing to keep copies of your items in both vaults. And your Primary vault isn't part of your 1Password.com account, so it won't sync through our servers and won't have any of the other benefits of a 1Password.com account. I definitely recommend continuing to use your account instead of the local Primary vault, and use tags instead of folders if possible - but the choice is yours! :)

• TimL
    TimL
    Community Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thanks @Drew_AG for your very comprehensive response. I've done everything and for whatever reason, it's worked for me this time round. I'm convinced I did all this properly yesterday, but... you know the rest!

I shall indeed change to using only my 1PWD account as I completely understand your comments re. folders and tags and, indeed, tags will suit me perfectly well. The reason I wanted to restore data to the local vault was to be able to see my folders and their contents so that I could set corresponding tags and contents up in the 1PWD account. Now I've done that, I can remove all data from the local account.

One further question... having copied all the times from the local account to the online account, I see when I've highlighted 'All Items' in the source list on the left, a lot of what appear to be attachments that I've made to various records. I didn't see these attachments displayed in this way when using the local account. Are you able to explain what's happening? Screenshot attached.

Renewed thanks for your help.
    Tim.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TimL,

I'm glad the restore worked for you this time! You're right, it's definitely helpful to be able to refer to the old folders in the Primary vault when setting up tags in the new account vault.

I see when I've highlighted 'All Items' in the source list on the left, a lot of what appear to be attachments that I've made to various records. I didn't see these attachments displayed in this way when using the local account.

Sorry for the confusion about that! I'll be happy to explain what's going on, and it's basically just a difference in the way attachments are handled in 1Password.com accounts. Instead of being stored within an item, attachments are stored as separate items in the new Documents category in account vaults (so when you copied items to your account vault, your attachments became Documents). In the item it was attached to, you'll see a link to the file under Related Items, and you can click on that link to jump to the Document in much the same way you could previously double-click on an attachment.

Having a separate Documents category allows you to manage those files separately from the items they were attached to. It also allows you to add files to 1Password without needing to associate them with an existing item in another category. So if you have a file on your Mac that you'd like to keep in your 1Password vault but it's not really related to any other item, no problem! It can be stored by itself as a Document.

I hope that clears up the confusion about those items. Please let us know if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.