Setup local vault [Coming in 1Password 7]

This discussion was created from comments split from: When can we expect local vault editing again?.

Comments

• will1Passwordwork
    will1Passwordwork
    Community Member

Hi, I've been searching for any instructions on how to set up a local vault. Local vault is mandatory for my work. If your product can do it, would you be so kind as to show me where I might find the directions? If there are zero instructions/directions, is there anyone I can hire who has guessed this mystery and figured it out? If your product cannot do it, that's fine but could you make this failure clear so my team doesn't waste any more time?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@will1Passwordwork: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! I hope you don't mind, but I've split you off into a separate discussion so we can focus on your questions.

Since you've posted in the Windows beta category of the forums, you're probably using the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app, so I'll address that first: it does not support creating or editing local vaults. You can, however, import data into 1Password.com from a local vault, but that's a read-only proposition. If you purchased 1Password 4 previously, you can use it to create and edit local vaults, but it is no longer for sale.

Is there a particular reason that local vaults are mandatory? It's much more difficult to share data with team members in that scenario.

• will1Passwordwork
    will1Passwordwork
    Community Member

Does any 1Password product currently support creating or editing local vaults? Or has the useful function been removed from all current versions of 1Password?

Thanks for your reply.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@will1Passwordwork: Local vault support hasn't ben removed from any 1Password products; rather, we haven't added this feature to the new Windows app we're focused on building right now. 1Password for Mac version 6, 1Password for iOS version 6, and 1Password for Android version 6 all support local vaults as well. The difference being that those are still for sale since they're still being actively developed.

• will1Passwordwork
    will1Passwordwork
    Community Member

Thanks, we will use the Mac version 6.

Two questions about this (or do you now require a new thread since we're talking about Mac?)

1. When you say 1Password for Mac supports local vaults, do you mean the online version or the standalone version of 1Password for Mac?

2. I'm still searching for any instructions on how to set up a local vault. Where might I find the instructions?

I've never worked so hard just to understand, get instructions, and possibly purchase a simple software product, lol :)

• Hi @will1Passwordwork,

We would prefer you create a separate thread but if it is just these two questions, we can leave it here for now. If you have more questions, ask and we'll split the posts out into a new thread in the macOS forums for you.

When you say 1Password for Mac supports local vaults, do you mean the online version or the standalone version of 1Password for Mac?

1Password 6 for macOS supports both local vaults and 1Password.com memberships. 1Password for macOS was rebuilt a few years ago when 1Password.com was in development, we were able to adapt the codebase to support both local vaults and 1Password.com memberships.

Windows is the rare exception where we have to build a brand new program and we're starting out with 1Password.com memberships first and hopefully add local vaults. For now, 1Password 4 for Windows supports local vaults completely.

I'm still searching for any instructions on how to set up a local vault. Where might I find the instructions?

Here's how: https://support.1password.com/local-folder/

If you've already signed into an 1Password account, you need to enable the option to create the first local vault:

1. Open the main 1Password app, unlock, and go to the 1Password Menu > Preferences > Advanced.
    2. Check the box next to Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts

I've never worked so hard just to understand, get instructions, and possibly purchase a simple software product, lol :)

Sorry about that, your requirement of local vaults is what makes it "advanced"/"complicated". We want all new customers to use 1Password.com as it is simpler to use by default.

• will1Passwordwork
    will1Passwordwork
    Community Member

Thank you for that helpful info. I was able to set up a local vault. :)

Now I can't delete the old vaults, it only wants to delete my new local vault. Oh well, I think I'll delete the entire install and start over by buying the standalone version of 1Password and using that instead.

And yes, this does explain why you want new customers to use the online 1Password.com memberships. I understand now. However I am required to use a local vault only (and I don't need to sync with other devices).

But I will end this thread and start a new thread in the MacOS forums. And I'll watch tutorials on YouTube to try and understand this software better before asking questions that might be answered in the videos.

Thanks again!

• Hi @will1Passwordwork,

You're welcome.

As for old vaults, what do you mean exactly? You can't delete the primary vault without deleting the secondary vaults first. There's a reason for that but yea, please do create a new thread and let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

• LocalVaults
    LocalVaults
    Community Member

I have been using the 1password app for android with a local vault for some time, and have been very happy with the product. I recently switched to a windows 10 system for my primary device and found that local vaults are no longer supported. I have no intention of storing my password data in the cloud or creating a cloud account. Will local password vault support in the windows app be released soon? or are you moving away from that in general?

As I noted I have been very happy with android product with a local vault, and would prefer not to have to go through the pain of migrating all of my passwords to another product.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have been using the 1password app for android with a local vault for some time, and have been very happy with the product. I recently switched to a windows 10 system for my primary device and found that local vaults are no longer supported. I have no intention of storing my password data in the cloud or creating a cloud account.

@LocalVaults: That's up to you, but keep in mind that it doesn't afford you any additional security. Your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. And on the contrary, a 1Password.com account has the added security of the (128-bit, randomly generated) Secret Key to encrypt your data as well. Just something to consider.

Will local password vault support in the windows app be released soon? or are you moving away from that in general?
    As I noted I have been very happy with android product with a local vault, and would prefer not to have to go through the pain of migrating all of my passwords to another product.

It's not something we're working on right now, and I can't say for certain one way or the other. We have a lot of other work yet to be done on the new app and browser integration. Right now we're focused on 1Password.com, as it offers a lot more flexibility, convenience, and security. And you're free to check it out for a month and see for yourself. Cheers! :)

• LocalVaults
    LocalVaults
    Community Member

it's more than just a security concern; I get that the subscription fee is low, but it's an inconvenience, and there's risk of losing access if there's a billing issue as credit cards expire etc. Issues easily resolved but impactful if the timing is bad.

it doesn't sound like I'm the only customer to miss this functionality. I'm very disappointed that you seem disinterested in listening to your customers, it was a great product.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

it's more than just a security concern; I get that the subscription fee is low, but it's an inconvenience, and there's risk of losing access if there's a billing issue as credit cards expire etc. Issues easily resolved but impactful if the timing is bad.

@LocalVaults: Nope. Whether you use the free trial and don't subscribe or let your subscription lapse, you can still access (and export) your data. You can't make changes to it in that case, but we never lock you out of it.

it doesn't sound like I'm the only customer to miss this functionality. I'm very disappointed that you seem disinterested in listening to your customers, it was a great product.

There's already a standalone version of 1Password that supports local vaults, so I'm not sure what you mean. Nobody has had anything taken away from them. Since we didn't have a native app for 1Password.com customers on Windows, building that has been our priority.

• MentalPower
    MentalPower
    Community Member

There was a pretty long amount of time where the 1P6 app was able to read from (but not write to) local dropbox-based vaults. I noticed that mine was not updating after I removed it I was unable to re-add it. Why was this feature removed? I don't want to move all of my legacy vaults over to 1P.com (due to bootstrapping issues).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MentalPower: Totally, 1Password 6 has to be able to import data from local vaults or we'd all be manually entering everything all over again — or at least having to do an intermediate step of exporting to plaintext before importing. Nothing's been re-moved, but we moved local vault import to an "Import" menu to reduce confusion. Sorry about the trouble that's caused you. :(

Can you elaborate on the "bootstrapping" you're struggling with? Maybe there's something I can recommend.

• spuch
    spuch
    Community Member

@MikeT

Windows is the rare exception where we have to build a brand new program and we're starting out with 1Password.com memberships first and hopefully add local vaults. For now, 1Password 4 for Windows supports local vaults completely.

I'd like to vote for the integration of local vaults because I'm still using 1Password 4 and wouldn't like to miss that option when updating to version 1Password 6. So far I'm completely fine with the feature of 1Password 4 but I'm afraid that there will become a point where I will get stucked when not upgrading to 1Password 6 ;)

• Hi @spuch,

Local vaults is in progress of being implemented for 1Password 7 for Windows that we've announced in our blog post here.

• MentalPower
    MentalPower
    Community Member

@brenty What I mean by bootstrapping is that the 1P.com account details is not something I can keep in my head, so I keep the dropbox details different from everything else and "in my head" so that when I setup a new device/computer I can bootstrap the 1P.com stuff from it.

@spuch HUZZAH!!!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Interesting. If I'm understanding you correctly, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with that. Storing the 1Password.com account credentials in the clear in Dropbox would mean that Dropbox would have access to it — and therefore an attacker, if they were compromised. So I do just the opposite: I store my Dropbox credentials in 1Password, and keep my Emergency Kit in a secure location in case I lose access to all of my authorized devices. Just a thought.

• imperator
    imperator
    Community Member

@MikeT: By when can we expect the local vaults feature in 1Password 7 for Windows. The Beta Release still shows no signs if local vaults. Thanks!

• Hi @imperator,

We don't share any timeframes as per our policy and our current beta release notes are about 1Password 6.8, the next update from us. The status of local vault support will be revealed when we release the first beta release of 1Password 7.

• pliny
    pliny
    Community Member

Hi,

I'm a 1pass Mac user migrating to Windows. I keep a few credentials stored in the cloud, but 99% of my passwords are saved in a local vault only.

Are we saying that at this time I can't use local vaults on Windows, at all? If I import my .opvault into the native Windows app, I can only sync it to a cloud vault?

• @pliny: For the moment, you are correct, unless you have an existing license for 1Password 4 for Windows, in which case you can keep local vault data there. That said, you won't see everything in All Vaults the way you do on Mac since you're using two different versions of 1Password (1Password 6 for 1Password.com data and 1Password 4 for local vault data), so we know that's not ideal. This is one of many reasons we're anxious for 1Password 7, so we're working as hard as we can! :chuffed:

• pliny
    pliny
    Community Member

@bundtkate thanks for the reply. I'm really surprised at this; I chose 1pass because of local vaults, wifi sync, and (I thought) cross-platform availability. I'm glad to hear you're working on this feature but it leaves me scrambling for another solution in the meantime.

• Catbodi
    Catbodi
    Community Member

I'm with @pliny

I also chose 1Pass because of local vaults, wifi-sync, and real cross-platform availability. Your support says they have not "taken away" any features because 1Password 4 on Windows is still an "option". 1Password 4 is not an option, 1Password 4 is an incredibly outdated app that has no place in still being available since its so different from adding an item on 1Password 6 Mac vs the 1Password 4 interface. Because of this move I had to switch away from 1Password after over a decade of use (Yes, really I was using since 2007!). I would be happy to switch back once this is resolved.

• bundtkate
    edited October 2017

@pliny and @Catbodi: You're not alone and we know this wasn't exactly the most seamless way to handle things, but when 1Password memberships were developed, we couldn't add membership support to 1Password 4. The best option available to us was to build 1Password 6 from the ground up for our 1Password membership customers while relying on 1Password 4 to tide those choosing standalone vaults over. We absolutely know this wasn't an ideal situation and we're sorry it has left y'all in a lurch. :frown: I can assure you that wasn't our intent, but I know that doesn't help in the moment. We really are working hard on 1Password 7 and I think I speak for the whole Windows team when I say that we will be much happier campers once we're able to bring all of our Windows customers back together using one app. :chuffed:

I really look forward to welcoming you back, @Catbodi and I really hope it's soon! :chuffed:

@pliny: I know this is an awkward question to ask because I really can't give you a timeline on when 1Password 7 might be ready, but are you at all open to keeping all of your items in your 1Password account temporarily? You can definitely import those items into a separate vault in your account using 1Password 6 for Windows and then transition them back to a standalone vault once 1Password 7 is ready and I'd be happy to lend a hand there if that's something you're comfortable with. No pressure, of course, but I didn't want to ignore the option. :+1:

• pliny
    pliny
    Community Member

@bundtkate no immediate plans to bolt, it's a great product with the balance of features I'm after. Just trying to figure out how to bridge the gap. 100% understood about prioritizing your roadmap, and 100% understood about never promising dates in software development. Thanks again for replying on a Sunday.

• @pliny: It's no problem at all and whether or not it scares you away, we still feel bad when our choices put you in a tough spot so I still think you deserve the apology. Next time I talk to the development team, I'll be sure to tell them to hurry their butts up. :wink:

• pliny
    pliny
    Community Member

Gentle reminder that this is still an issue for me, and a daily hassle to pull passwords from my (local) iOS vault. Look forward to seeing that updated Win10 app in action.

• We are working on it but it will take quite a bit of time as this will require extensive internal testings to make sure it is all good to go before we can even start offering a beta version of 1Password 7.

We'll share more details when we have them.

• karlbunch
    karlbunch
    Community Member

+1 I have to move back and forth between a Mac and a Windows PC and I CANNOT use remote sync I'm only allowed to use corporate sync service to share vaults.

This discussion has been closed.