Where is data??

Hi, I've been using 1Password for Windows and iOS (syncing via dropbox) for several years now and love your software. I have a Windows desktop and laptop that I run the software on as well as an iPad and iPhone. I recently bought a new MacBook Pro to replace the aging Windows laptop so I've been thinking of adding a solution for my Mac as well.

As others on here have stated, I'm not a big fan of the subscription model and thought I would just buy the Mac stand alone app to go along with my Windows and iOS apps. I was a bit disappointed to see the $64 price tag, was counting on somewhere around the $39.99 or so I think I paid for my Windows version.

With that said, however, I'm trying to decide whether to buy the stand alone app or switch to the account model. My main concern is being able to access my data even offline and also where and how the data is stored. I've read your answers to others stating that one could access data without being online and also stating that one could access their data just by logging into 1password.com.

So if I switch to the account model, where is my data?? How can it be accessible to me offline yet still be available on 1password.com? I feel much more comfortable knowing my vault is stored on my computer in my dropbox folder which then gets synched to my other devices.

Please explain the model and where data is stored.

Thanks!

Dave

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@dmedlin57: Thanks for reaching out! Great questions:

So if I switch to the account model, where is my data??

With a 1Password.com membership, your encrypted data is stored on our servers.

How can it be accessible to me offline yet still be available on 1password.com?

While it isn't possible in the browser, the native 1Password apps cache the data locally on your devices so you can access it offline.

I feel much more comfortable knowing my vault is stored on my computer in my dropbox folder which then gets synched to my other devices.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance. And in the case of a comparison with Dropbox, 1Password.com has a few key advantages:

Automatic offsite backup with item history

Dropbox isn't a backup. If you trash your data or it gets corrupted, Dropbox will sync that as well. 1Password.com rejects corrupt data, maintains backups, and keeps version history so you can restore if needed.

Stronger security with the Secret Key

Since both are used to encrypt your data, it is impossible for an attacker to perform a brute force attack on the Master Password alone, as the (128-bit, randomly generated) Secret Key is also needed.

Reliable, seamless sync

Since we've built this ourselves we can continue improving it, you won't run into compatibility issues, have to update additional software, or maintain another account/subscription to use 1Password. And if something breaks, we can fix it.

You may be interested in reading more details on how all of this works in our security white paper, and don't hesitate to ask any other questions you may have! :)

• Okay, thanks Brent. I went ahead and purchased the standalone version from the in-app deal on the Mac app store version. Had to uninstall and re-install after that to get it unlocked but I figured that out. Now everything seems to be working fine other than when I'm using Chrome rather than Safari, the app will fill in my userid and password but I have to click the sign-in manually. With Safari it works fine. Any way to correct this? Don't see any setting under the Chrome extension and, unlike the Windows 1Password version, I can't find any settings whatsoever in the Mac 1Password.

Thanks for any input!

Dave

• Never mind, got back in tonight and found the setting to add the script for Chrome. Working great now, have a good holiday!

Dave

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thanks for the update Dave! Enjoy the rest of the weekend, and please don't hesitate to contact us if you need anything else.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.