Problems with new nested tags [Unintentional released, removed in 6.5 beta 2]

jhamer
jhamer
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Something not mentioned in the 6.5.395 release notes is the new tag level separator on the advanced tab. Nice feature, thanks! Having an issue with it though. Any instance using the tag separator places the second level tag under the previous listed one alphabetically, whether or not the top level tag exists. I'll try to illustrate:

Existing Tag list:

Apple
Banana
Peach
Strawberry

If I try adding a new tag of Orange\Clementine, it will place it under Banana\Clementine.

If I first add a single tag of Orange. Then re-edit the item and change it to Orange\Clementine, it removes Orange, and incorrectly places the entry under Banana\Clementine.

I hope that makes sense... feel free to ask for clarification. (and no, I don't actually use fruit names for my tags) :)

Thanks,
--Jeff

1Password Version: 6.5.395d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jhamer,

Thanks for reporting this, I believe this is a bug because the separator itself is not supposed to be enabled in the first place, it's an experimental UI feature.

I'll make sure we fix this or disable it in the next beta update depending on how it goes.

• Hi @jhamer,

As I've guessed, it wasn't supposed to be enabled, so we've disabled it in today's update. It is not ready to be used just yet.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Any plans to bring them back in the future?

(I actually found some use cases for them in my current set of tags)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@XIII:

We are planning to expand on tags in the future in order to provide you with some additional organization structure. We're just starting with basic tags support and experimenting with different ideas. It is not easy to get it right, so we had to disable nested tags for now. Moreover, we have to make sure we got this properly handled on all platforms before we proceed.

I hope it answers your questions. If you have more of them, we are always here for you. :chuffed:

Cheers,
    Greg

• soumya
    soumya
    Community Member

Any updates? I've been eagerly awaiting this feature! I even signed up for betas and everything :)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@soumya: I am sorry, but we do not have any news for you at this point. We are focused on some under the hood changes and UWP app and more features are coming in the future updates. Please, stay tuned. Thank you! :chuffed:

Cheers,
    Greg

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

It is supposed to be an experimental feature that was accidentally enabled when it should be off. Where can this feature be found? I would like to view it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

I think you might be referring to a desired or wished for enhancement, I had suggested. It was simply a wish. Well if its my post you saw it in?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Hi

I didn't see your discussion but it was mentioned elsewhere:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/76973/problems-with-new-nested-tags-unintentional-released-removed-in-6-5-beta-2

The Beta feature has now been removed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017

@wkleem: I've merged this with the existing discussion on this issue. As mentioned previously, this was a bug in the new Windows app that was introduced a while back. It may be that we do something similar (though hopefully less buggy) in the future, but nothing at this time. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.