To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

how do I get a real person to help me? I have spent an hour trying everything.

donnorman
donnorman
Community Member

1 Password has been working for years on all my devices. Then I upgraded the app on my Nexus Phone and it suddenly wants my secret key. I cannot find it. I have read ALL the help documents. I have tried everything. Nothing gets me to the key. I know that it begins with A3-RM29P3

Can some real person help?

1Password Version: Version 6.0.1 (601003) AgileBits
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Secret key woes. The documentation does not help. I have a license. How do I find secret key?

Comments

• TDK1044
    TDK1044
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

If you can access 1password on other devices, log onto 1password.com and click on My Profile. Your secret key will display there. Just click on 'Reveal'.

• donnorman
    donnorman
    Community Member

Nice try. On my Mac, I have 1Password running in my browser as well as in a desktop app. Neither of these has a "my profile" menu/item. When I try to log into 1Password.com it wants my secret key. Duh. I can't log in to my email address because it wants a secret key. If I try to start a new account with my email address it says it can't because there is already an account with that email address. If I say find my account, it sends me the first characters of my secret key, but the URL "Learn how to find your Secret Key" takes me around and around in circles.

• Hi @donnorman,

In the Mac app, can you go into Preferences > Accounts and see if your account is listed there? If so there should be your secret key (it may still be referred to as Account Key in the Mac app if you're not using the latest version).

Rick

• donnorman
    donnorman
    Community Member

Thanks, but the accounts list is empty. And if I try to add an account (clicking on +) it asks me for information.

(However, right now, there is no "Accounts" icon in the preferences window.
    general, security, teams, watchtower, all vaults, browser, sync, wi-fi server, backup, updates, and advanced.

Under teams there are no accounts and clicking on + wants me to scan a QR code 9which I do not have) or to sign in manually, which requires the secret key

• @donnorman : Can you email in to support@1password.com so that we can take this privately and I can ask you questions without needing to worry about the forum being public?

Mention my name (Rick Fillion) in the email body and include a link to this forum post. Mention me here (@rickfillion) when you've emailed in and between those two things I should be able to get to your email in our support system.

I think I might see what's going on but we'll need to confirm a few things.

Rick

• rickfillion
    edited May 2017

Hi @donnorman,

I see that you did email in and se sent you a reply without having seen this additional info about a half hour ago. I'll go jump in and we'll take care of this via email.

Rick

ref: LAZ-39821-942

• donnorman
    donnorman
    Community Member

(For those following this discussion: taking this private now via email).

I very much like 1Password -- I've been using it for years. I rely upon it. This particular problem is irksome. I understand the need for high security I recommend revising the support documents to be more clear. Right now, they can lead the person around in circles. In cases where the secret key cannot be recovered, simply say so: knowing this would have been useful.)

I am also grateful to the support team that has jumped in to help me.

• I'm pretty confident that we'll get this figured out. :)

Rick

This discussion has been closed.