Newly Generated Passwords In the 1Password App Do Not Offer "Copy" Function

In 1Password 6 for Windows, when creating or editing a login in the full app, upon password generation, the application does not offer a copy function. Minor inconvenience. The standalone Password Generator offers a "Copy" button to copy the new password to the clipboard. The app, however, requires you to click away from the generator into the password field, and then manually copy the newly generated password.

Please reference these screenshots as examples.

Proper behavior in password generator:

Lacking copy function in full app:

1Password Version: 1Password 6.6.416d
Extension Version: 4.6.6.1
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: 1Password.com
Referrer: forum-search:new generated password copy 1password app

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jables: The thinking was that you can always copy the password from the password field once you've saved it, but I agree that it could be helpful to make it a bit easier and more consistent as well. In the mean time whenever you dismiss the password generator, the password is highlighted so you can easily copy it with Ctrl C. Thanks for the feedback on this! :)

• Jables
    Jables
    Community Member

Unfortunately in my testing I just did, the new password is not highlighted after generation and closing of the generator.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jables: Ah, sorry about that. The good news is that this is working in the current beta at least. Hopefully we'll have a new stable release before long as well. Cheers! :)

• Jables
    Jables
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

I'm on 1Password 6.6.416d. That's the latest beta, right? I think I see what you're thinking, but it's not intuitive to me. I naturally immediately want to click on the password so that I can copy it. If you do that, it is not highlighted/selected.

http://nebula.d.pr/hCINJ

If you click elsewhere after generating the password, then is remains selected, but why would I click somewhere else on the app if I want to copy the password field?

Does that make sense?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jables: Totally. I agree that there's room for improvement there. Just trying to offer some suggestions that are usable right now. Honestly, I think it might make even more sense to have 1Password automatically copy the generated password to the clipboard. Something to consider. :)

• Jables
    Jables
    Community Member

I don't want it to auto copy the password, I just don't want the string to lose its highlighted status on that first click away from the generator into the password field.

Look how it functions in the MacOS app. I'd like this same behavior.

https://d.pr/V7J3X9

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Got it. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.