Confused about Master Password in Windows

Options
HEK
HEK
Community Member

I recently changed from Personal to Family and am a little confused about the password I need to use to log in to 1Password on Windows. It seems it requires the Family admin password even if I log in to my personal user under the family account.

To explain:
my family account is myfamily@email.com and the password is SECRET123 (not really - this is just an example ;-)
my user account is myself@email.com and the password is MYSECRET123
So, I will log in using the address https://myfamily.1password.com/, but use myself@email.com as username. However, MYSECRET123 does not work for my account on this PC - I have to use SECRET123. On my other devices (Mac and iOS), I must use MYSECRET123 as the password.

I am not sure why and I am not sure why the client says that I can change the Master Password for this PC only. Why is it called Master Password when it's not the master? The real master password is connected to my user and not my PC, right?

How can I enforce that my private password MYSECRET123 is used on all my devices, inlcuding my windows PC? I assume I can change it to be the same on my PC, but if I later decides to change the real Master Password, will my PC still require my previous password?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 6.5.4
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Cloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@HEK: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion!

The 1Password's app will always use the Master Password of the first vault/account added.

And specific to the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app, changes to the Master Password are not currently "sync'd". When you change the Master Password in the app, this changes it only for unlocking the app itself.

If you change the Master Password elsewhere, the app's Master Password will not change on its own. But you can change it manually in Settings > Options > Advanced to match what you're using elsewhere.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• HEK
    HEK
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your quick answer. So, if I understand you correctly, Mac and iOS and web all use the same Master Password for my family-user, but on Windows it can be a different password?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@HEK: You're welcome! Right now, yes, you can set the Master Password to pretty much whatever you want in the Windows app. It will, by default, be the same as the first vault/account you add there. We definitely recommend using the same Master Password on all devices, and we'll be making it so this happens more seamlessly for you in a future update. Cheers! :)

• HEK
    HEK
    Community Member
    Options

Great! Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

On behalf of Brenty you're most welcome. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.